GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT Vortex - MQB Turbo

james9120

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Might as well grab a LPFP while you're at it. That XL can get thirsty and having extra fueling headroom is never a bad thing
I thought about it but couldn’t find much info on drop in setups that don’t require a controller and lines, don’t really want to modify the stock basket and etc.

Ostateballer

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI S PP/LP

billbadass

Drag Racing Champion
I got the pagparts 450 setup for mine, and it dropped in with stock controller and no modifications to lines or anything and customer service was great, but my experience with most cars is that once you start getting into modifying the fuel system the reliability goes way down and headaches go way up. If I was doing again I'd just go with HPFP and run that as hard as it would take and be happy but no idea how that would work with an XL vortex turbo.

some turbo inlet for sure. for a turbo that big I would personally go with an EQT piping kit as well since you have it all apart anyway.

upgraded motor mounts at that power level are pretty important too. the stock motor mounts will get wrecked almost immediately if they aren't already worn out.

I did a ton of research on intecoolers and everyone has their own thoughts, but I ended up going with APR if that shows you what I think.

and some good brake pads and fluid LOL. >500hp in a 3,100lb car gets exciting quick on the street haha

james9120

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
I got the pagparts 450 setup for mine, and it dropped in with stock controller and no modifications to lines or anything and customer service was great, but my experience with most cars is that once you start getting into modifying the fuel system the reliability goes way down and headaches go way up. If I was doing again I'd just go with HPFP and run that as hard as it would take and be happy but no idea how that would work with an XL vortex turbo.

some turbo inlet for sure. for a turbo that big I would personally go with an EQT piping kit as well since you have it all apart anyway.

upgraded motor mounts at that power level are pretty important too. the stock motor mounts will get wrecked almost immediately if they aren't already worn out.

I did a ton of research on intecoolers and everyone has their own thoughts, but I ended up going with APR if that shows you what I think.

and some good brake pads and fluid LOL. >500hp in a 3,100lb car gets exciting quick on the street haha
What issues did you have with the Pag Parts LPFP? And I totally agree, my previous MKV build turned to shit quickly once I started messing with fueling, injectors, controllers etc

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
The A2B kit is nice. It's an OEM brushless pump from an RS3 with an OEM controller. Good for 650whp on E85 in the RS3. It drops right in with no permanent modifications necessary. Just remove the stock pump, drop the new pump in and re-pin one connector.

billbadass

Drag Racing Champion
What issues did you have with the Pag Parts LPFP? And I totally agree, my previous MKV build turned to shit quickly once I started messing with fueling, injectors, controllers etc

I don't want to go into it because both the shop and pagParts worked hard to fix it and make me happy in the end, and both sides went WAYYYY above and beyond what I have ever experienced from other shops and parts companies. I would strongly recommend the pagParts setup for anyone going with a MQB LPFP setup. now that got mine working in my car I love it.

but I kept having issues and had to have my car towed several times and was a damn nightmare but I think I got it worked out (no problems so far at least)

I've had the same experience across several other platforms now that for my future builds I am going to be very very careful if I ever dig much into the fuel system. the stock LPFP and injectors on these cars will easily support 400+whp even on E40 fuel mix anyway and there is a limit to how much power you can put down with FWD regardless. I think ever platform has it's "sweet spot" of power vs problems and imo on the MQB platform that sweetspot seems to be right around low 400whp to mayyyyyybe 425whp area, once get above that power level things start getting way more complicated with way more issues for only modest power gains. I think these cars on a small hybrid or even a rebuilt and balanced is38 with E50 fuel and FBO at the low 400whps is personally where I would leave them unless you like tinkering with stuff all the time.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

billbadass

Drag Racing Champion
I have similar modifications but Ed did recommend exhaust which I installed during tuning. Just do it and take advantage of the custom tuning you are paying for.

I'm not saying it is a good idea, but I made 480whp on Ed's dyno (which reads a little high) through stock GTI catback. I'm not sure if this is what is going on but my car does seem to be slowly getting louder as I get more and more miles on the car though, so I am wondering if putting that much power/airflow through the stock muffler is maybe messing it up somehow.

Ostateballer

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI S PP/LP
I'm not saying it is a good idea, but I made 480whp on Ed's dyno (which reads a little high) through stock GTI catback. I'm not sure if this is what is going on but my car does seem to be slowly getting louder as I get more and more miles on the car though, so I am wondering if putting that much power/airflow through the stock muffler is maybe messing it up somehow.
Ed has stated the stock catback starts becoming restrictive above 400whp. To what degree though? Probably good for 10-15whp as others have stated earlier.

arob157

Drag Racing Champion
Ed has stated the stock catback starts becoming restrictive above 400whp. To what degree though? Probably good for 10-15whp as others have stated earlier.

Seems to be similar gains from the exhaust on a GTI and from discharge pipes (and R for the discharge pipes). Although a fair number of the DBV owners assured me that discharge pipes were a waste of money...

And now DBV is in the prototype phase of discharge pipe development.