GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT typhoon dropped

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Thank you for your help, that was exactly the response I was looking for. You want me to sift through 5 pages of off topic bullshit and dick measuring contests? Have you read a single page in this thread? I read the entire thing. I've made some notes with some contradicting points between users but largely it was a waste of time. You're telling me you'd disagree? Why is your natural response to be a dick I really don't get it lmfao

Really happy we could get here within 5 pages. Took the other thread 260 pages.

Now back your regular programming
First you thank me then call me a dick and you think it's been all off topic? Are you sure you read all 5 pages. I'm only a dick when I need to be and if you get butthurt over it, I really don't give a shit. The are far worse threads on this forum and threads go off topic all the time, fucking get used to it.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
First you thank me then call me a dick and you think it's been all off topic? Are you sure you read all 5 pages. I'm only a dick when I need to be and if you get butthurt over it, I really don't give a shit. The are far worse threads on this forum and threads go off topic all the time, fucking get used to it.

It's a copy pasta from the other thread. Surely you've seen it posted exactly as written 100 times throughout the forum.

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
Because most full frame turbos don't have any provisions for a wastegate at all and its much more difficult to adapt the factory actuator to such a setup. Its a lot easier to slap on a pneumatic gate and call it a day. This has absolutely nothing to do with effectiveness of the wastegate. Even TurboSmart has been working hard on an aftermarket electronic external wastegate because they recognize the advantages of it. IIRC they released a version but it requires its own standalone controller and has not been tested well yet.

-- Ed
Funny you guys were having that conversation about electronic wastegates... I just got this in my FB feed. I guess they were spying on what I was reading here.
https://www.fueltech.net/products/e...702620298&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=paid

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
Customers are welcome to re-use their stock actuator. The only way to get a true "OEM" actuator is from the dealer when buying an entire turbo assembly. All of the other actuators you can order separately from various online stores are reman'd units coming out of china. This is also what we sell and offer as an option with our turbos, and this has always been the case.

You may be referring to the difference between the newer IS20 style actuator vs the older IS38 style. We used to use the IS38 style but have switched to the IS20 style because we find that it is less prone to blowing open on certain setups. Note that this newer style actuator is also used on all IS38's starting in 2019 as well.

Thanks
-- Ed
I did not know the IS20 was the newer style, huh, still sucks its so hard to calibrate! I "calibrated" it on the bench to "perfection" and it still was way off once fully installed. Thankfully I figured out a way to use Cobb AP to set it fairly painlessly, but getting there....uhhg.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

It's a copy pasta from the other thread. Surely you've seen it posted exactly as written 100 times throughout the forum.

I'm deleting you daddy...?

James At EQT

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 RS3 + AWD Mk6
Funny you guys were having that conversation about electronic wastegates... I just got this in my FB feed. I guess they were spying on what I was reading here.
https://www.fueltech.net/products/e...702620298&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=paid
A local friend of mine had one of those TurboSmart electric gates on his drag car and it was nothing but issues, he ended up going back to a traditional style wastegate.
It's a great technology, it just needs refining. VWAG and Toyota definitely got it right on the OE Application.
I did not know the IS20 was the newer style, huh, still sucks its so hard to calibrate! I "calibrated" it on the bench to "perfection" and it still was way off once fully installed. Thankfully I figured out a way to use Cobb AP to set it fairly painlessly, but getting there....uhhg.
I want to say 2018 mid year the Golf R's went to an IS20 style wastegate. Vaarticus / EverythingCPO has an IS20 style gate on his Golf R.
They're definitely not the easiest to calibrate which is why we made a bench test rig to do it.

https://fb.watch/fr7GZfgV61/