GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT Balanced Line Coilovers Now Available!

Jovian

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI
Ed, can you pls explain how to adjust the height of the rear shocks. do you take everything apart? or leave it bolted and twist the body by one hand and the other hand holding the top part with spanner wrench provided? with this that rubber boot cover just gets twisted.. i haven't installed mine yet, just trying ti visualize how it works. thanks!

Nope, just jack it up and take off the rear wheel. You then can use a coil wrench to adjust height. No need to dismantle anything else. The last picture in this shows the rear https://www.carworklog.com/2019/12/15/replacing-suspension-on-the-2016-gti/

You can also see the damper adjust wheel on the lower end of the shock. That you dont need to jack the car up or take wheel off to adjust. Just reach under.

bl33dBlue21

Go Kart Newbie
Nope, just jack it up and take off the rear wheel. You then can use a coil wrench to adjust height. No need to dismantle anything else. The last picture in this shows the rear https://www.carworklog.com/2019/12/15/replacing-suspension-on-the-2016-gti/

You can also see the damper adjust wheel on the lower end of the shock. That you dont need to jack the car up or take wheel off to adjust. Just reach under.

yea but i believe every time you adjust the spring height you need to adjust the shock height?

CarolinaPanthers

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
18 GTI 6mt
Ed, can you pls explain how to adjust the height of the rear shocks. do you take everything apart? or leave it bolted and twist the body by one hand and the other hand holding the top part with spanner wrench provided? with this that rubber boot cover just gets twisted.. i haven't installed mine yet, just trying ti visualize how it works. thanks!

I'm obviously not Ed, I feel you on this! I actually found two videos from two different brands of coilovers and neither are mk7 specific, though still a divorced spring set up, for setting rear ride height and spring preload. Ed, if you want me to remove these videos, I will do so! Or if I am missing the boat on this one and giving awful advice/the concepts don't apply to our cars, someone call me out so I don't spread misinformation lol.

This video helped me wrap my head around ride height adjustment. Setting the preload looks a little heavy-handed to me, but to each their own lol.

This is a more nuanced look at setting preload. DISCLAIMER: Idk what Ed recommends for preload front or rear.

CarolinaPanthers

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
18 GTI 6mt
What? How does the shock change ride height?

For the fronts, adjusting the length of the shock body via the lower mount, you adjust the overall length of the strut and spring combo. Longer length from lower mounting bolt to strut mount = higher ride height. Shorter = lower.

This is cool because you can adjust ride height without affecting shock travel or spring preload. You can get yourself in some trouble if you go too low. Since you have more shock travel, you run the risk of other parts banging into each other (e.g., axle into subframe, etc...) before the shock runs out of travel as per more traditional coilovers.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
For the fronts, adjusting the length of the shock body via the lower mount, you adjust the overall length of the strut and spring combo. Longer length from lower mounting bolt to strut mount = higher ride height. Shorter = lower.

This is cool because you can adjust ride height without affecting shock travel or spring preload. You can get yourself in some trouble if you go too low. Since you have more shock travel, you run the risk of other parts banging into each other (e.g., axle into subframe, etc...) before the shock runs out of travel as per more traditional coilovers.

He's talking about the rears. You don't/can't set ride height using the shock length on a divorced setup.

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
For my BCs I usually have to take the rear apart because theres too much tension on the spring to move the adjuster with a spanner wrench

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
In the rear, you adjust height with the spring perch and spring pre-load with the strut body.
Depending on how much preload you have, you may have to loosen things to be able to turn the spring perch.

bl33dBlue21

Go Kart Newbie
Updates and pics please :)

ok here's a quickie...i finally installed my coilover last Wednesday. this i pretty solid and seems to be well built, so far I've put in about 350 miles and i can say they perform well. ride quality is good, not harsh even on the hardest setting. my turns are tight and reduced body roll is def noticeable.. adjusting the height in front is really easy but in th rear, you have to take everything apart cause you'll need to adjust the height of strut as well plus too much tension on spring for you to turn the adjuster.

few dislikes,

first is the height in the rear. they don't go low! i am very disappointed at this. i mea I'm not trying to slam the car to the ground, all i want is to have no gap between wheel and fender and this coilover doesn't achieve that. pic below is maxed out on all corners..

IMG_3180.jpeg

second is the front strut, it doesnt go all the way down the base of knuckle, its few cm short.. EQT said this is fine , its just odd cause I've never seen anything like it.

IMG_3188.jpeg

last is the adjustment knob on top of the front strut. at -1.5 camber, the knob will hit the strut tower. luckily i only needed -1.0 camber.

15DF5636-6579-4DF9-A706-9C8058E6D99C.JPG IMG_3178.jpeg

im hoping the rear will settle a little more cause i can't stand that gap lol