GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT Balanced Line Coilovers Now Available!

Jovian

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI
Great review and your car looks awesome! I appreciate the pics showing how far the collars are spun down in regards to ride height. Can’t wait for tax return season now!

Just to be an a-hole... “damping,” not “dampening.” Your car sounds quite moist lol.

hahha ty I will correct that.

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R

galavanter13

Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
Having had full coilovers on my last build, can you adjust the rear ride height without disassembling the lower control arm/knuckle/sway bar?

Jovian

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI
What height do you have your coils at in this picture?

All the pictures on that review were taken at the same height settings. So height of the car in the first picture is what you get when your coils are setup with what you see in the lower pictures. It can still go plenty lower than it is and actually be raised more than stock height.

Jovian

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI
Having had full coilovers on my last build, can you adjust the rear ride height without disassembling the lower control arm/knuckle/sway bar?

Yup the rear is easily adjusted with the wheel off. Check out the last picture, you will see the green rings above the spring are very accessible.

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
That's a real game changer then. Most coilovers are a pain in the ass for the rear ride height adjustment. Hated the kw's for that specific reason. Fronts were super easy however, just jack up and adjust. Wheels stay on.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
Yup the rear is easily adjusted with the wheel off. Check out the last picture, you will see the green rings above the spring are very accessible.

On ST suspension at least the top adjuster just spins when you try to adjust it without disassembling the rear. Do the EQT ones stay put so you can adjust without removing the spring?

Jovian

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI
On ST suspension at least the top adjuster just spins when you try to adjust it without disassembling the rear. Do the EQT ones stay put so you can adjust without removing the spring?

All I have to do is take off the wheel and I can do the adjustments with two coil wrenches. No need to disasemble anything in the suspension. Springs stay on during height adjustments

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Latest batch of coilovers has been shipped! Receiving nothing but great feedback so far :)

Here's a quick shot with the camber plates that are now included.

IMG_2158.jpg

-- Ed

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Dumb question but would you need to slot the strut towers for the camber plates?

You can take off the dampening adjuster knob and then you shouldn't need to slot the towers. But if you want to be able to easily adjust dampening and get full camber out of it, then slotting would be required.

-- Ed

CarolinaPanthers

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
18 GTI 6mt
Ed, those look gorgeous!

Also, can someone explain height adjustment for the rears to me like I’m 5?

I’m assuming the rear ride height is adjusted via the spring seats. Does a change in ride height necessitate a change on the threaded shock body?

My only other experience with coilovers were BC coilovers on a 99 g20 a few cars back. They were one piece spring/shocks and ride height was adjusted via the shock body and the spring perches were for preload only - similar adjustment procedure to our struts up front (I think lol).

If anyone could help me visualize the height adjustment procedure for the Balance Line coilovers, I’d appreciate it!

SkyeC

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
18 GTI SE
You would leave the springs alone so you don't effect the pre-load; changing height via springs on these cars means you need to drop the control arm.

Change height w/ the shock instead.

bl33dBlue21

Go Kart Newbie
Ed, can you pls explain how to adjust the height of the rear shocks. do you take everything apart? or leave it bolted and twist the body by one hand and the other hand holding the top part with spanner wrench provided? with this that rubber boot cover just gets twisted.. i haven't installed mine yet, just trying ti visualize how it works. thanks!