GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EPC Code Popping up intermittently

matzi24

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm driving a mildly tuned golf tsi. APR stage 1, intake, sway bar, gfb diverter valve. Noticed getting on the highway in 3rd and went to step on it a little, nothing crazy, that the car bogged and had no boost or any pick up. Look down to see if I was in a wrong gear on accident, see the EPC light is on. Looked online and most people suggested plugs so I got some NGK plugs from modded euros, the middle of the road ones. Installed them last night, let the car warm up for a little bit then for a while today(ice storm). Same spot when I get on the highway, code pops up again. A buddy of mine suggests trying to clean the mass air flow sensor. I haven't hooked it up to a reader yet but just wanted some input to see if anyone on here had any suggestions, thanks! Car has almost 50k on it as well if that makes a difference.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
We don't have a mass air flow sensor :p. Have you tried reading the code? That should be able to give you a bit of insight.

matzi24

Passed Driver's Ed
I have not, just curious if any one had some insight. I feel sort of dumb for the mass air flow sensor now haha. Newer to the car scene. With some research online I've come across four possible issues

Mass air flow sensor(which doesn't apply now I suppose)
Brake Light Switch
Engine Speed Sensor
Throttle Body(hoping it is not this)

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
I have not, just curious if any one had some insight. I feel sort of dumb for the mass air flow sensor now haha. Newer to the car scene. With some research online I've come across four possible issues

Mass air flow sensor(which doesn't apply now I suppose)
Brake Light Switch
Engine Speed Sensor
Throttle Body(hoping it is not this)

Most likely it is none of the above. Read the codes and stop guessing. It's cold outside. Could have been so cold that the APR boost request could have caused overboost. The ECU reads air density. Also the only thing you need to do with the plugs is gap them tighter. Higher boost can cause spark blow out if cylinder pressure is too high. Something that can happen in very cold air.

matzi24

Passed Driver's Ed
So if I'm getting this light every other day or so, it can potentially just be the tune "overreacting" to the weather? I have a reader at home so I'll check tonight but thats interesting about the weather and whatnot.

Cliff p.

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 Golf R DSG
The EPC light is much more important than the check engine light that's located next to it. If you're getting even intermittent EPC lights, you definitely shouldn't be guessing. Stop driving the car hard until you find out what the EPC is caused by; you could be potentially doing more harm than good.

matzi24

Passed Driver's Ed
I dont really drive the vehicle hard in the winter since there isnt any reason being on smaller snow tires. I'll report back with the codes.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
My guesses are:

Car overreacting to weather
Spark plugs not gapped tight enough
I would say running out of fueling, but APR stage 1 won't do that.

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
I had same symptoms at 40K miles. After changing plugs to no effect I changed coils; problem solved. Your issue could be a number of things, but this was my experience.

Just to add some infor: Codes thrown were missfires; stage 2 tune.

Last edited:

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
I would get the EPC when dialing in the jb4 settings. I got good at putting the car in neutral and killing the ignition. Then restart while coasting. LOL. Usually overboost, spark blow out or fuel. Most likely won't be fueling though as Meltedsolid said.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Oh yea, coils is another likely candidate.

rossross

I'm driving a mildly tuned golf tsi. APR stage 1, intake, sway bar, gfb diverter valve. Noticed getting on the highway in 3rd and went to step on it a little, nothing crazy, that the car bogged and had no boost or any pick up. Look down to see if I was in a wrong gear on accident, see the EPC light is on. Looked online and most people suggested plugs so I got some NGK plugs from modded euros, the middle of the road ones. Installed them last night, let the car warm up for a little bit then for a while today(ice storm). Same spot when I get on the highway, code pops up again. A buddy of mine suggests trying to clean the mass air flow sensor. I haven't hooked it up to a reader yet but just wanted some input to see if anyone on here had any suggestions, thanks! Car has almost 50k on it as well if that makes a difference.

Ive seen some people have issues caused by the GFB DV, once removed they had no issues. I cant remember if the problems they encountered were similar to yours, but its worth have a search/read on here and vortex.

matzi24

Passed Driver's Ed
Sorry for the delay, was out of town. Hooked up the code reader and got zero codes and everything passed. Granted this isnt the most high tech one but it does log things and whatnot. My dad and I looked at it and he said nothing is reading as a fault/error. I called a buddy who I trust with VW and he suggested purchasing a vcds reader which I believe is essentially vagcom?(hope I spelled that right). My thoughts right now is since a couple people have mentioned coils that I should replace them just because of maintenance purposes. But it seems like I should invest in the vcds to get precise readings as well

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
Sorry for the delay, was out of town. Hooked up the code reader and got zero codes and everything passed. Granted this isnt the most high tech one but it does log things and whatnot. My dad and I looked at it and he said nothing is reading as a fault/error. I called a buddy who I trust with VW and he suggested purchasing a vcds reader which I believe is essentially vagcom?(hope I spelled that right). My thoughts right now is since a couple people have mentioned coils that I should replace them just because of maintenance purposes. But it seems like I should invest in the vcds to get precise readings as well

Yep, VCDS or OBDeleven are a must.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Get an OBDEleven. It's almost as powerful and way cheaper. Make sure to get OBDEleven PRO so you can do long coding, etc. if needed.