GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Engine swap

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Well an LS is 27in long that's with the pullies on it and 23in wide with out headers. Height doesn't matter persay. Just from a quick measuring and my super accurate eyes ans measuring tape the LS will fit with a few inches to spare longitudinally. Width wise there is room for days after you relocate the battery. Main obstacle as far as fitment would be is getting the 4l80e to fit and everything it takes to make it a rwd set up. Needless to say I've also wanted a golf and a LS powered one so I think mk7 isn't the choice unless I hit the lotto. So mk1 or mk2 would definitely be the way to go. If I went that route it would be a dedicated drag car for sure. My brother and I have been looking for a vehicle to put the 4.8 in...
If you are going to do it, then a MK2 for sure. More room in the engine bay and way lighter car than the MK7.

I've totally been thinking about a k swap for my gti recently.
How dare you, don't you even think about it! That's sacrilegious and VW will ban you for life!!!

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
All LS blocks are the same external dimension, so idk why you’d be after a 4.8 or want a 4Lanything since they’re junk.

We 6.0LS swapped a BRZ, and it fits fine but all the wiring is still left and that’s the part everyone hates. It’s my buddies car I just assisted with & it’ll be cool when it’s done.

Mk2 drag car I’d build a tube chassis w/four link and drop the body over it. Just comes down to being up for that extensive of a build fabrication wise. If you can’t do the fab work yourself it’ll be a very expensive endeavor.

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
1.8T and never loose

youngins......sheesh
1.9 tdi block with 2.0 tsi crank and billet girdle makes a super solid short block with long rods/tall deck. Not sure if this guy blew his engine running a 7.55 pass but he has run in 7s range for years.

chrismc1000

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 01 WS6
All LS blocks are the same external dimension, so idk why you’d be after a 4.8 or want a 4Lanything since they’re junk.

We 6.0LS swapped a BRZ, and it fits fine but all the wiring is still left and that’s the part everyone hates. It’s my buddies car I just assisted with & it’ll be cool when it’s done.

Mk2 drag car I’d build a tube chassis w/four link and drop the body over it. Just comes down to being up for that extensive of a build fabrication wise. If you can’t do the fab work yourself it’ll be a very expensive endeavor.
4.8/5.3 are the exact same aside from the crank both are very capable engines and can hold over 1000hp with minimal mods and ease. They are cheap how ever the most important factor with the 4.8L that we have is... it was free lol so 🤷. If we were to actually build it right and spend a lot of money for all the good parts from start to finish we would be going with an aftermarket block and nothing would be oem gm parts lol

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
I would put a jet engine on it and then it'd be like the Batmobile and shoot fire out the back vvRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

FSTSNAL

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 DVP Spektrum R
Only swaps I have seen are Daza or vr6. If I ever decide to do a Daza swap I know one person who did it on his own in his garage got the coding done by copying it from someone who had their swap done by innovative motor sports

chrismc1000

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 01 WS6
Only swaps I have seen are Daza or vr6. If I ever decide to do a Daza swap I know one person who did it on his own in his garage got the coding done by copying it from someone who had their swap done by innovative motor sports
I can't even find vr6 swap kits for the mk7.

FSTSNAL

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 DVP Spektrum R
Nobody makes a kit that I’m aware of, VR6 & DAZA are offered in other MQB cars so is just a matter of sourcing OEM parts & coding.

Over simplified by saying “just”, since you basically need a whole donor car.
Yes. Parts from other cars, repinning a bunch of harnesses so correct items wire into the gateway, ecu, etc and a ton of recoding.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Nobody makes a kit that I’m aware of, VR6 & DAZA are offered in other MQB cars so is just a matter of sourcing OEM parts & coding.

Over simplified by saying “just”, since you basically need a whole donor car.
there are off the shelf kits for the "complicated" part, i.e. the custom bellhousing/flywheel. but the rest is just 150 hours of re-wiring and having someone fab up a custom downpipe, tho jake can tell you no one's going to offer that off the shelf for the 5 people that would ever buy one.