GOLFMKV

Engine bay cleaning

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Recently I washed mine.
Not first time.
I use aluminum foil and cover the electrical box. Wrap it around top. Also wrap alternator as best I can. Mainly cover top side.
They I snow foamed the engine and under hood. Used small horse hair detail brush to agitate. They used wet micro fiber to wash big flat spots and underside of hood. Wipe down hoses and all I can reach. They used light pressure power wash and rinsed.
They used blower to remove water. Dry with micro fiber also. Start engine and run for 5-10 min.
Let dry over night. They spray down with detailer spray or what you like. Pearl of 303 are good option. Let sit. Then wipe off extra.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This method 100% is the way to go. Some keys are the pressure washer because it will force things off your engine however it doesn't use as much water as just 'hosing it down'. Although that also means you need to be even more careful around electrical parts. I don't have a presure washer yet so i use my hose setting on 'mist' lol.

Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
I am very much into detailing (not a professional though) and I clean my engine bay about twice a year, maybe 3 if its really bad. I usually just cover my battery with a plastic grocery bag, and that's it. I first spray everything down with an APC (I use Mean Green Auto+Garage, a gal at Walmart is like $6), and scrub with various brushes where it needs more attention. I then spray it down with my pressure washer (yea I know....), constantly moving the stream and not focusing on any specific area. If it requires more cleaner, I will do it again in that area, but it usually doesn't. I finally blow dry the bay with my leaf blower. I also do underneath the hood as well. I have never had not one problem using my method, not 1 light or any malfunction of any kind.

APC is key as you have mentioned to break down oil/grease.

Gray_Panther

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
GTi
I cover electronics with a plastic bag rather than aluminum foil. Aluminum foil, if connected to a positive terminal or something that has a charge, then it is very possible another part of the foil can touch chassis ground at the same time. Alternator comes to mind!

Much safer with a plastic grocery bag.