GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Engine bay cleaning

Proxima2

Ready to race!
Any tips, cautions or advice on cleaning the engine bay? I have Youtubed this as see lots of variation on what to do and what not to do.

My GTI was very gritty from the dealership. I should have had them detail it up for me but I didn't. It looks as if it was left outside and a sandstorm hit the area or something.

Thanks and advance!

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
Recently I washed mine.
Not first time.
I use aluminum foil and cover the electrical box. Wrap it around top. Also wrap alternator as best I can. Mainly cover top side.
They I snow foamed the engine and under hood. Used small horse hair detail brush to agitate. They used wet micro fiber to wash big flat spots and underside of hood. Wipe down hoses and all I can reach. They used light pressure power wash and rinsed.
They used blower to remove water. Dry with micro fiber also. Start engine and run for 5-10 min.
Let dry over night. They spray down with detailer spray or what you like. Pearl of 303 are good option. Let sit. Then wipe off extra.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
Why even bother cleaning it when it's just going to get dirty again.

Some people look like they drive on gravel roads from their engine pics, but if I wash once a year it stays good for me. 4 years old my engine looks new.

Why wash? Just a personal thing. Only I see but I enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI
I just wash without covering anything up since in todays world almost everything is watertight as long as you don't blast it with water. I'm a detailer at a dealership and had zero issues

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
I just wash without covering anything up since in todays world almost everything is watertight as long as you don't blast it with water. I'm a detailer at a dealership and had zero issues

Nice. This is essentially what I'm going to do on "shower" setting with garden hose.

DThissen

Ready to race!

This. I used to detail cars and aslong as you're not blasting anything directly it should be okay. That said, I always took care around anything electrical and held the pressure washer a good 10+ inches away. If you have access to a leaf blower (or compressed air) you can use that to blow most of the excess water away.

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion

This is what I tell myself about brushing my teeth or wiping my ass...j/k or not:eek:

Engine bays are hurricane's in rain storms, so just don't high pressure wash electronics...the 'shower' setting on a hose is fine.

JWTS

Ready to race!

It's funny, a friend's college-age son asked this about cleaning his toilet.He was 100% serious....

I mean, couldn't this be said about pretty much anything?

I clean it because it I need to work on the engine (whether it's replacing an air filter or cleaning the valves), there's not dirt all over the place flying into an open engine. And, as mentioned, it makes spotting leaks a lot easier.

eajr

Go Kart Champion
I am very much into detailing (not a professional though) and I clean my engine bay about twice a year, maybe 3 if its really bad. I usually just cover my battery with a plastic grocery bag, and that's it. I first spray everything down with an APC (I use Mean Green Auto+Garage, a gal at Walmart is like $6), and scrub with various brushes where it needs more attention. I then spray it down with my pressure washer (yea I know....), constantly moving the stream and not focusing on any specific area. If it requires more cleaner, I will do it again in that area, but it usually doesn't. I finally blow dry the bay with my leaf blower. I also do underneath the hood as well. I have never had not one problem using my method, not 1 light or any malfunction of any kind.

Beju

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit Ed.
My GTI was very gritty from the dealership. I should have had them detail it up for me but I didn't. It looks as if it was left outside and a sandstorm hit the area or something.

That's how mine was too. I picked it up the day it showed up at the dealership in mid-June. I figured it got hit with a sandstorm somewhere in Texas or northern Mexico.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk