GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Edit: From "Failure to Launch" to "Relaunch": Koni Yellows with 034 Dynamic Springs

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
Wanted to share my encounter in case others are considering.

As many of you know, I've f'd around with my suspension quite a bit. Too cheap for Ohlins and prefer the flexibility of just changing springs out.

Anyway, my latest endeavor involved purchasing a set of used 034 dynamic springs which I had been eyeing for a while, which I got around to installing last weekend. Rears went in no problem. I used the TT pads since I knew they were going to sit really low.

Then came the fronts...I go to put the strut together...rubber isolator, bump stop, 034 spring (correct PN), bearing/dust boot, SuperPro mount, top nut....Usually when you go to put the mount on you have to compress it down a bit to expose the threads. Not the case here, the mount just slid right to the lip of the Koni yellow piston. Ummm. Certainly I had done something wrong, let me check again. Rinse and repeat, everything is right. WTF.

Took it all apart and the Koni yellow shaft is about 1/8" longer than the stock damper. So it's longer, but barely.

Let me check the mounts, maybe be some difference. Tried the stock mount. Still the same issue.

I then tried the other front spring and it worked. Barely, but the spring wasn't rattling around like the other one. So one spring is slightly shorter than the other after being used (the springs allegedly had 7500 miles and in good condition).

I'm going to contact 034 but doubt there is any recourse here.

So as of right now I have HR OE Sports on the front and 034's on the rear. I must say the 034's feel good in back. Would love to see what they are like in the front.

034.png

Last edited:

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
How bizarre. Hopefully they rectify this for you. The name "Super Pro" doesn't exude quality, in fact never heard of them before.
If you perform a search, you'll see they're mentioned here pretty frequently.

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
How bizarre. Hopefully they rectify this for you. The name "Super Pro" doesn't exude quality, in fact never heard of them before.
Hmmm...

Attachments

• 20200418_120932.jpg
    20200418_120932.jpg
    434.7 KB · Views: 146

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
SuperPro is well known for their poly bushings. I also have their LCAs which are superb. No way I would buy the 034 camber mounts. That is for sure.
I’ve only seen good reviews on the SuperPro parts you’ve mentioned. I heard their mounts are also great but no longer sold. 034 continues to prove they have awful QC and mostly trash parts.

Handguns4heaRTs

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Friend’s 80k mile shitty Megan Racing springs were the same way. They obviously compress when they’re on the car, but it’s a PITA to get everything lined up to put back on(had no other choice).

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
Friend’s 80k mile shitty Megan Racing springs were the same way. They obviously compress when they’re on the car, but it’s a PITA to get everything lined up to put back on(had no other choice).
Yeah I wasn’t going to tape the bearing and mount together. 😳 Plus no way in hell would I ever track with that setup.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Seriously. I've seen him play the contrarian many times before, but to say you've never heard of SuperPro? It's like one of the 2 poly bushing companies that makes parts for our cars.

Hammersticks, something doesn't seem right there at all and I doubt it's your install. When my RS3 springs were installed there was some concern they would be too short too, but they still needed some compression to get the nut on. Having a real mild rate lowering spring not even preload the mount isn't confidence inspiring.

Also my 034 Camber mounts are still quiet and trouble free after 20k miles and 4 track days. I haven't pulled them apart to inspect the insert but I have no reason to at this point. Not saying I'd buy them again with the SuperPros out now, they weren't an option when I made my purchase.