GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Driving profiles modification tool!

krambert

Car(s)
Tiguan R
I'll say yes to a salary increase of 20% in that case.
It all started so peacefully... :ROFLMAO:

meanwhile...

View attachment 276394
It all started so peacefully... :ROFLMAO:

meanwhile...

View attachment 276394

A bit new to all of this. Have been doing some basic level coding with OBD.

However, I'm really admiring your work and it's complexity. I'm one of those people who struggle a little to get my head around it!

A simple question (hopefully)...
Is there any way, that you know of, to have the car start up in your preferred driver mode (Comfort, Sport, Race or Individual), utilising OBD at a more basic level, that will not void the VW warranty? Or does VW, in effect, lock owners out of this potential ability, hence why you're doing what you're doing?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
@krambert There is no way to do have the car do what you're wanting with OBDEleven or VCDS. It is possible through modifying the driving profile dataset (using this tool).

I cannot imagine how it could void your warranty, your car already has these modes. And you can already switch to them as soon as you turn on the ignition, only difference is you don't have to cycle through modes with the button. That being said, I also don't imagine VW would have a way to know much (anything) about your dataset. I would bet there only a handful of technicians that even know what a driving profile dataset is (they don't have to know to do their job, to be fair).

krambert

Car(s)
Tiguan R
@krambert There is no way to do have the car do what you're wanting with OBDEleven or VCDS. It is possible through modifying the driving profile dataset (using this tool).

I cannot imagine how it could void your warranty, your car already has these modes. And you can already switch to them as soon as you turn on the ignition, only difference is you don't have to cycle through modes with the button. That being said, I also don't imagine VW would have a way to know much (anything) about your dataset. I would bet there only a handful of technicians that even know what a driving profile dataset is (they don't have to know to do their job, to be fair).
@Cuzoe Thanks for your response.

That would be good if doing any of this doesn't affect the warranty!

However, I'm guessing that if I were to modify the driving profile dataset(s), that any updates that VW do during say, the yearly service, may either reverse my modifications or, bear with me here as I'm not yet completely understanding how everything works with this dataset editing tool, or any attempted updates by VW may fail or have the wrong result or create errors, potentially voiding the warranty?

Also, on @Chillout 's webpage with the modification tool, he has the warning stating that using the tool WILL result in a voided warranty - doesn't it? Or am I misinterpreting it?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
@krambert Any update VW does will simply overwrite your modified dataset. This is assuming VW has an update specifically for the driving profile dataset, which is unlikely. The same thing happens when you flash your own custom dataset, it overwrites whatever is there. The diagnostic tool cannot read the existing dataset, and there's no real need to do so.

The warning is the standard (and correct) statement to make for anybody that offers tools, advice, recommendations, whatever about modifying your car. And it's for liability reasons more than anything else. The last thing Chillout needs is someone saying... I set my car to start in Sport mode and then went full throttle as soon as I pulled out of the parking garage and the DSG (now in Sport) let the revs get too high before shifting and damaged my turbo. And since VW won't cover it I'm going after Chillout because he let me start out in Sport.

Logically the blown turbo isn't Chillout's fault, but people are going to be people. Best to just make it clear you are doing modifications at your own risk... granted the risk for this is really low. Even if you flash an incorrectly modified dataset (I've flashed 100's at this point, most of them with something messed up, haha) all you do is re-flash.

krambert

Car(s)
Tiguan R
@krambert Any update VW does will simply overwrite your modified dataset. This is assuming VW has an update specifically for the driving profile dataset, which is unlikely. The same thing happens when you flash your own custom dataset, it overwrites whatever is there. The diagnostic tool cannot read the existing dataset, and there's no real need to do so.

The warning is the standard (and correct) statement to make for anybody that offers tools, advice, recommendations, whatever about modifying your car. And it's for liability reasons more than anything else. The last thing Chillout needs is someone saying... I set my car to start in Sport mode and then went full throttle as soon as I pulled out of the parking garage and the DSG (now in Sport) let the revs get too high before shifting and damaged my turbo. And since VW won't cover it I'm going after Chillout because he let me start out in Sport.

Logically the blown turbo isn't Chillout's fault, but people are going to be people. Best to just make it clear you are doing modifications at your own risk... granted the risk for this is really low. Even if you flash an incorrectly modified dataset (I've flashed 100's at this point, most of them with something messed up, haha) all you do is re-flash.
@Cuzoe Thanks for taking the time to give me your opinion and explaining that. You've convinced me it's worth it!

Are you using OBD?

I still need to work out how to get the profile data in and out of OBD. There is a dataset for a 2019 and a 2020 Tiguan R, but I'd like to know that I'm working on my actual dataset as well as having a file from mine as a backup. I'm going to try searching for some answers online as to how you do this in OBD, but you may be able to tell me perhaps?

Cheers

dvw.r

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7.5 R
@krambert you can't obtain ur dataset with OBD11. U need ODIS-S with online connection for that.
But the datasets on the webapp are default datasets. So no worries, just pick the right model and modify it.
After that, u need to flash the custom dataset to your gateway. I use ODIS-E but u could use other tools I guess (VCP), but u can't use OBD11 or VCDS for that.

dvw.r

krambert

Car(s)
Tiguan R
@dvw.r Ah! Thanks for that. No worries. Dead end for me then unless there's a way of using the editor to create "parametisations" that I can enter into OBD like in the attached video...

mr-fix

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 2.0TDI Variant
@krambert, I believe gateway module is write-only. I tried to read parameterization from it couple times with no luck. You can also try with CarScanner and ELM327 dongle. It can also handle parameterization/datasets.

krambert

Car(s)
Tiguan R
@dvw.r ODIS-S isn't that expensive as far as I can tell. Are there any other tricks I'd need to be aware of if I was looking to purchase ODIS-S and a compatible dongle? Like having to work at VW or something? :)

dvw.r

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7.5 R
Well that's new for me, uploading datasets with OBD11. Will give it a look. But ODIS-E or iDEX would still be my way to go.

And you can 'download' ODIS-S and ODIS-E for free if you search. The only thing u have to pay, if u need it, is online connection.

No requirements, you just need the right dongle. I use a genuine VAS5054A, but there are good clones or other dongles that u can use in passthru mode.

But if you want it as cheap as possible and you don't need online connection, try @mr-fix his suggestion, with an ELM327 and CarScanner. But I can't help u with that. Never searched for it or tried it. I have other tools.

dvw.r

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I've seen the video, and read about loading datasets with OBD11 and ELM/CarScanner. It's not for me... I don't have much (any) interest in loading that way, especially as write only. ODIS is slow to start up (in a VM on my 7 year old Surface laptop) but even with that I can do a driving profile dataset flash in about 5 minutes.

Doing it "manually" you have to make sure you're writing the correct values to the correct address (and length). If you get it wrong you won't get the result of the change you were trying to make, and you may mess up something else you weren't trying to modify. To fix that you will need to know the previous value of whatever you accidentally over-wrote.

dvw.r

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7.5 R
@Chillout Just FYI
I was looking to enable long press race mode, but couldn't find it. So I was looking to add another dedicated button only for race mode. So I was looking at the pinouts, adaptions, live data, etc and stumbled across something 'strange'.
In my dataset (JA00) there is nothing assigned to driving mode button 2, but when I look at the live data 'status driving mode button' I can see that driving mode button 2 is assigned to my ESC button (when I press it). I don't know if it's interesting but it could probably interfere with each other when I assign a new list to driving mode button 2.

dvw.r

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I'd still like to know how to either permanently switch of the driving mode button light OFF or to be able to set the "sport" mode to default so it remains on every ignition cycle !

& yes I have tried numerous different ways to programme the mode button light OFF...NONE have worked on my car!....& its ON all the time as the car is set to "individual" with everything set to "sport" as its the only way to get the settings to remain default after an ignition cycle..

P.S. I only have VCDS....& No I'm not buying any more dongles etc. as I'm saving up for refurbishing/rebuilding the brakes, suspension & winter alloys!

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I'd still like to know how to either permanently switch of the driving mode button light OFF or to be able to set the "sport" mode to default so it remains on every ignition cycle !

& yes I have tried numerous different ways to programme the mode button light OFF...NONE have worked on my car!....& its ON all the time as the car is set to "individual" with everything set to "sport" as its the only way to get the settings to remain default after an ignition cycle..

P.S. I only have VCDS....& No I'm not buying any more dongles etc. as I'm saving up for refurbishing/rebuilding the brakes, suspension & winter alloys!
Your car is not facelift correct? On my pre- facelift BCM it was in long coding, just set the amber LED to not installed. The white LED for backlighting is tied to all of the background lighting, but the amber one is a separate wire from the BCM. You could just depin it also (either at the BCM or at the 10 pin connector for the buttons). Coding is more elegant 😬.

The amber light can be set with this driving profiles tool but you can't flash data sets with VCDS so it's a moot point. You can also set the default mode (or set the car to always start in the mode you left it) but again you would need a different interface so maybe moot.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Your car is not facelift correct? On my pre- facelift BCM it was in long coding, just set the amber LED to not installed. The white LED for backlighting is tied to all of the background lighting, but the amber one is a separate wire from the BCM. You could just depin it also (either at the BCM or at the 10 pin connector for the buttons). Coding is more elegant 😬.

The amber light can be set with this driving profiles tool but you can't flash data sets with VCDS so it's a moot point. You can also set the default mode (or set the car to always start in the mode you left it) but again you would need a different interface so maybe moot.

Yep late 2014 build....Its the amber light & I've tried various long coding tricks the "light not installed" (WTF in German)..& it didn't work for me...(can't remember the exact ones I tried what's the latest known good way?)...I think they altered the BCM slightly on the early cars..& yet mine is built after the summer 2014 change when they did some minor spec alterations here in Europe!

De-pin...forgot about that..!!...but yes coding is neater!!....