GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Downshift clunk!?

VaVag

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 MK7 Golf R
Downshifting into first gear, the transmission clunks. I previously made a post about it not knowing where it was coming from in “D” or “Eco” mode while braking... but I noticed while using the paddle shifters, it clunks when dropping into first gear..

Dogbone/mounts? Needs a flush? Normal?

Any help/advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

VaVag

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 MK7 Golf R
Do not downshift manually into 1st. It's like a one way ticket to money shift the DSG eventually.

1st is short. It's there to get you moving from an absolute stop. D, and S, both hold on to 2nd pretty far into low speeds. Mine goes into 1st below 5 mph.

2nd gear is your friend :)
So the noise is “normal” or rather induced by myself and should be fine so long as I dont do what Ive been doing..? lol Thanks

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
I've gotten used to not downshifting at all in manual mode except maybe 5-4, 4-3. I let the car come to a stop and it downshifts on its own lazily. If you downshift manually to a stop, it kinda jerks as it engages each gear which is uncomfortable for my wife and annoying for me (having driven manuals all my life, I can downshift smoother than this DSG can) so coming to a stop with just the brake and ignoring the paddles makes for a very smooth stop for all in the car.

Now if you're coming to corner and gonna take it as quick as you can, sure, downshift properly. But coming to a stop at a stop sign or a red light, let the car do the work.

And no, never downshift into 1st manually in the DSG as all above have said.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Hmm, I've done that occasionally and it never clunked. DSG's rev match so there's no reason for it unless there's a problem with the trans, transaxle, or a mount. I can't see it happening from the Haldex.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
First gear is strange when manually downshifting. Don't do it. Coming to a stop with DSG in manual shifting, don't bother downshifting. Your car does it for you. DSG tune makes the downshift a lot smoother

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Hmm, I've done that occasionally and it never clunked. DSG's rev match so there's no reason for it unless there's a problem with the trans, transaxle, or a mount. I can't see it happening from the Haldex.

OK go back to sleep now. JK 😂

VaVag

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 MK7 Golf R
Yeah, if Im gentle it wont do it and it only does it from 2nd to 1st in either manual or “drive”. I currently have Cobb’s Stage 2 and DSG tune on it which I have heard are garbage. Im switching over to sneeky this weekend.

tonipepperoni77

Drag Race Newbie
Yeah, if Im gentle it wont do it and it only does it from 2nd to 1st in either manual or “drive”. I currently have Cobb’s Stage 2 and DSG tune on it which I have heard are garbage. Im switching over to sneeky this weekend.

yup same here if i go easy and almost finese it i can get it to be "smooth" from 2 to 1 but normally is clunky, been like it since driving it off the lot