GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Don't buy an IS38...but should I?

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
There is quite a bit lacking in terms of PP install videos, considering how many GTI's come with PP standard now!

88Mike

I bought my IS38 used, had it installed, and APR tuned for $2400. 360whp, done deal. 6 months ago, I thought I was happy and made the best cost vs. hp decision. At the time, the tuning shop was pushing me to buy a DBV2 instead, which would have been around $4.5k for the turbo, install, and tune. Not to mention any fueling mods and re-tune once installed, at the time, I thought that was too much and didn't suit my needs.

Now, 6 months later, the mod bug has me itching again. I bought a hpfp and ethanol sensor and will have to pay to get re-tuned, and pay more to get a second tune for full e85. I am going to be pushing my stock IS38 and have a fear that it won't be reliable. I'm going to tail of the dragon in April too (8 hours away) with a crew of guys with 400-500whp cars. I'm kicking myself for not just manning up and paying more for a better product.

You're not gonna need that kind of hp at the tail of the dragon. If anything, make sure your brakes are in check. There are no strait-a-ways long enough to get over 50mph plus there will be traffic that will possibly/probably hold you up. Not to be a kill joy, I'm just trying to let you know what you're in for. I've driven it. It's actually a lot of work if your car has a manual transmission. As soon as you come out of one curve you're right back in another....311 times in 11 or 12 miles. Don't get me wrong, that road is a lot of fun. If your suspension is upgraded and your brakes are good you'll do fine with what hp you have vs a car with 100 or 200 more horse power than you. Another word of advise, get your car cleaned up and detailed. There are people who set up cameras in a few places along the way that take pics of cars as they drive by. It's a great photo opportunity for your pride and joy. You can buy the pics from them at their website. I added a pic of my car at the time on that very road from one of those vendors. That was one of the many 90 deg turns!!
505123.jpg

Ital

Go Kart Newbie
I think it all depends what people are looking for. I need a Daily Driver so i like the IS38 idea.
Since I am on APR Stage 2, I do not think it is worth to go to IS38 now to gain maybe 50HP as you would cost at the very least $2k and that is just for the turbo tune and install. Then you will probably need to add FMIC.

However if I had a new GTI\GLI with no tune at all, I would skip the DP and get the IS38 instead as it is just about the same price.
The only thing I would probably add would be a FMIC.
I think for around $2k with labor and all you can get a 350whp on pump gad, not bad for cost to HP gains, and the car would still be a very good reliable daily driver

I might end up doing that in the next car I get. I was thinking that in a few years I might upgrade to an R, but now I am reading that they wont be offering an R in manual :(
That is a deal breaker for me, so might stick to the GTI\GLI

dyeownsme

Ready to race!
One of the most common reasons people shun the IS38 these days is because there are a lot of good hybrid options that don't cost that much more.

A new IS38 can be had for $1250 from FCP Euro and ShopDAP. In the ~2k range, you have the EQT Vortex, the IHX475, the Littco L450, and (for a little more) the DBV2. All 4 of these turbos require a fuel system upgrade though and it seems like people are moving away from simply upgrading the HPFP and instead doing LPFP and MPI. That adds about $1300. So, you're looking at about 2.5x the cost vs an IS38 which can be run with E30 and "not ridiculous" boost and still make good (and hopefully) reliable power (say 380-400whp). I get it that you have to pay more to get more, but it seems like with these 4 turbos, you have to pay A LOT more and the $ per HP return is significantly worse.

Check my math?

I'm in the minimalist camp. I have a GTI mk7 now but I want to buy an a3 Quatto and do the cheapest, most reliable is38 swap.
I need/want more torque.

What's the best route then?
New OEM is38 say 1,000$ shipped
Let's say I install myself

then
Cobb tuner with custom tune ? e30? I have access to e85
How much should than run?

Do I need DSG tune for this type of power?

I'd also want downpipe, stiffer mounts, lighter wheels, and sticky tires. But that's about it