GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY MIB1 to MIB2 Infotainment Conversion (Part 1)

Rmzhrb

Passed Driver's Ed
I’m having the same issue with Jack. He was responsive the first couple of days, but it’s been 2-3 months of me messaging at least once a week and no response. Ive lost hope at this point and trying to find an alternative.

lolque

Hi,

I just went through doing the conversion today and want to make sure everything "works" before I get the component protection removed.

Parts:
Aliexpress MIB2 Dynaudio Amp 5Q0 035 456 A
Aliexpress USB/Aux socket + harness 5G0 035 222 E
Ebay 6.5in screen 3G0 919 605 H
Ebay MIB2 headunit 3Q0 035 844

When I turn on the car, the headunit boots into the radio with the "Component Protection" text on screen. The radio will play briefly (1-2 seconds) before the sound cuts out. The radio then power cycles after ~20 seconds. This powercycle loop happens a few times and then it stays off.

Is this normal for the headunit to bootloop a few times?

I also pulled some unexpected codes
U11B800 "Interface for external media (No communication)"
B201A00 "Checking software version management"

Does anyone know if these codes are expected to happen before component protection is removed?
Did the first code mean I didn't install the USB/Aux socket correctly?

Thanks!

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
Hi,

I just went through doing the conversion today and want to make sure everything "works" before I get the component protection removed.

Parts:
Aliexpress MIB2 Dynaudio Amp 5Q0 035 456 A
Aliexpress USB/Aux socket + harness 5G0 035 222 E
Ebay 6.5in screen 3G0 919 605 H
Ebay MIB2 headunit 3Q0 035 844

When I turn on the car, the headunit boots into the radio with the "Component Protection" text on screen. The radio will play briefly (1-2 seconds) before the sound cuts out. The radio then power cycles after ~20 seconds. This powercycle loop happens a few times and then it stays off.

Is this normal for the headunit to bootloop a few times?

I also pulled some unexpected codes
U11B800 "Interface for external media (No communication)"
B201A00 "Checking software version management"

Does anyone know if these codes are expected to happen before component protection is removed?
Did the first code mean I didn't install the USB/Aux socket correctly?

Thanks!

The second code pertains to the 6.5" display. The display is a "Slave" unit to the infotainment and while it should work 100% without restricted functionality, it will generate that code until you make an adaptation change in the infotainment unit to reset the "pairing" of the two units.

Here's how:

VCDS CODING:
1) 5F (Infotainment) module, Adaptations, channel: 'Confirmation of installation change'
2) Note your current coding
3) Start Windows calculator and set it to 'Programming mode' and select 'HEX' option
4) Calculation: (current coding) Xor C9D2
5) Change the adaptation channel to the new code (Don't be surprised if it changes back to the original coding, this is normal!)
6) VCDS main screen, 'Auto-Scan'
7) Check for fault codes on all modules and clear the DTCs
Note that VCDS displays your code in 'xx xx' format (small letters and a space character).
You have to remove the space before you calculate your new code.
When you enter your new (calculated) code, insert the space again and use lower cases.
EXAMPLE (don't use these values):
'1a 1a' (original coding of the adaptation channel)
1A1A Xor C9D2 equals D3C8
Enter it as 'd3 c8'
If your original code starts with zero(s) just remove them before calculating (i.e. 0A fb=AFB).
If the new (calculated) code is less than 4 characters, insert zeros in the beginning (i.e. FBB=0f bb).

I had to do this when I swapped out my 6.5" screen for an 8" screen. Again, it's not required, but if you don't like seeing the code pop up every time you scan, this is how you prevent it from happening.

lolque

The second code pertains to the 6.5" display. The display is a "Slave" unit to the infotainment and while it should work 100% without restricted functionality, it will generate that code until you make an adaptation change in the infotainment unit to reset the "pairing" of the two units.

I had to do this when I swapped out my 6.5" screen for an 8" screen. Again, it's not required, but if you don't like seeing the code pop up every time you scan, this is how you prevent it from happening.

That did the trick. Thanks for the steps!

bobbytod

Hi all,

I made an account just to post this. After researching all the different options on upgrading the MIB1 to an Android Auto compatible MIB2, I came across this thread and reading through it, I learned of Jack. Based on peoples comments here, I decided to bite the bullet and bought a MIB2 STD unit with an 8 inch glass display from a local wrecker in Australia. I reached out to Jack and after a few days delay (he was on vacation) he responded and we got to work. Install was pretty straight forward, I didn't have to make any changes other than shaving the plastic off the display connector. I didn't even have to change the USB / AUX box. Jack then sent me a download link for his VM, I got it up and running, connected to the car and off he went.

I am so pleased I went down the Jack path - he was able to remove component protection and activate all functions my new unit was capable of, including navigation, which I read somewhere else that it would not be possible without a "hacked" unit as the navigation my car came with had a different FeC than what more recent navigation units come with.

Jack was super professional, service was quick and very reasonably priced. I couldn't be happier with the result.

Last edited:

DucMike

Car(s)
R32 -> Mk6 GTI
Hi all,

I made an account just to post this. After researching all the different options on upgrading the MIB1 to an Android Auto compatible MIB2, I came across this thread and reading through it, I learned of Jack. Based on peoples comments here, I decided to bite the bullet and bought a MIB2 STD unit with an 8 inch glass display from a local wrecker in Australia. I reached out to Jack and after a few days delay (he was on vacation) he responded and we got to work. Install was pretty straight forward, I didn't have to make any changes other than shaving the plastic off the display connector. I didn't even have to change the USB / AUX box. Jack then sent me a download link for his VM, I got it up and running, connected to the car and off he went.

I am so pleased I went down the Jack path - he was able to remove component protection and activate all functions my new unit was capable of, including navigation, which I read somewhere else that it would not be possible without a "hacked" unit as the navigation my car came with had a different FeC than what more recent navigation units come with.

Jack was super professional, service was quick and very reasonably priced. I couldn't be happier with the result.
After reading posts similar to this; I am hoping to have the same outcome on my project. I've had the deck for the better part of a year but not wanting to put the car out of action for who-knows-how-long has prevented me from jumping into it.

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
do it! I did mine, and to be honest, there was maybe only a day or so where i didn't have a fully functioning stereo in car. Hell, the usb port wiring in the back was the most difficult part of the swap. Everything else just drops in place and then it's all programming.

starkles

Did the AliExpress option. Highly recommend. 15 minutes and 150 USD later.. ;)

Last edited:

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
Ohh I accidentally thought you meant the 9.2" Euro unit.

What makes you think you have a euro DP? what is the part number?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk