GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY MIB1 to MIB2 Infotainment Conversion (Part 1)

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
So I'm not sure what I did that was giving me the out of range. I must have typed something in accidentally. I got it to accept 03 buy manually entering it LCode2 so it now shows GTI on Startup and has a red interface. Even white would be okay but it doesn't seem to be possible. If I remove the startup screen, coding 00 I get blue again.

I'll just try not to ever look at it on start up and leave it as GTI, haha. If I go into long coding it doesn't show anything for byte 18 when I have manually entered a value in LCode2, although the system is using it.

Wonder if I need to update vcds. I'm in the parking lot with no internet right now but when I was playing with it last night I had internet and it didn't prompt me.

In any case, tracking claims my USB port arrive today so once I install that and have it working I'll post again and then leave you guys and gals alone, lol.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

There isn't a red colour scheme without choosing GTI - I have the Bluemotion startup screen and that's a blue colour scheme.

aditud

Passed Driver's Ed
The blue is okay but it doesn't match anything else in the car, which bothers me a little bit but it's going to bother my wife a lot.

I have never been able to consistently post pictures using a browser. But from the Tapatalk app it always seems to work

Hopefully by USB port arrives today. Still showing out for delivery right now, same as it showed all day yesterday.

No, I meant the blue circles in the Blue Trainer screen. My horizontal "menu line" or whatever they call it is orange (as can be seen in the picture I pasted the link to). I don't even remember what it was before (red, yellow?).

I don't know how you would code the profile with VCDS. With OBDeleven it was fairly easy. I had a regular hatchback appearing on the screen before, so I had to code that (as it turns out, it was the only thing I needed to code) to make the GSW appear. I don't even know if I should call that coding, as I only needed to select a different model under the "Sub-Model" option, or something like that.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Yea I suppose the profile is what I would like to code. The think blue trainer can stay blue. But yes the menu line is the what I want to adjust, doesn't necessarily need to be red, white/orange would match the rest of the dash lights as well.

As it stands the car menu shows a GTI with Austin wheels. When I choose any of the other Golfs (or no car on start up screen) I get blue menu lines back, and an Mk7.5 facelift golf in the car menu.

I'm wondering if I need to change the coding in Bit 1 (which will change Bit 1, 2 and 3). There are numerous options there (Golf/Golf Variant/Wagon) but I'm not sure what is affected.

OBDeleven is on my short list of items to buy. I love VCDS (especially for my Mk4) but don't need it's complexity most of the time.

aditud

Passed Driver's Ed
Yea I suppose the profile is what I would like to code. The think blue trainer can stay blue. But yes the menu line is the what I want to adjust, doesn't necessarily need to be red, white/orange would match the rest of the dash lights as well.

As it stands the car menu shows a GTI with Austin wheels. When I choose any of the other Golfs (or no car on start up screen) I get blue menu lines back, and an Mk7.5 facelift golf in the car menu.

I'm wondering if I need to change the coding in Bit 1 (which will change Bit 1, 2 and 3). There are numerous options there (Golf/Golf Variant/Wagon) but I'm not sure what is affected.

OBDeleven is on my short list of items to buy. I love VCDS (especially for my Mk4) but don't need it's complexity most of the time.

I understand. I initially tried other settings (under "model"), just kept exhausting all the choices (because there were just numbers, no wording to clarify what they meant). Turns out it was number 2 in "sub-model" (#1 was for the hatchback, #2 for the wagen).

This is a very long thread, but I'm pretty sure I saw a post where it was described how to use VCDS to change the profile of the car.

Last edited:

nonegiven

Go Kart Newbie
Question for anyone who's done this conversion who had a 2015 KESSY car with MIB1. After swapping to the MIB2 unit, does your radio and/or BT connection remain active after turning off the car but before you open the door?

Only the NA MIB1 KESSY cars would lose power to the radio after turning off the ignition and I believe it's a KESSY issue but would like to know for sure.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
This may not help because my car does not have KESSY but my MIB I turned off when I turned off the engine, both radio and bluetooth.

After going to MIB II the radio and bluetooth remain on until I open the door. It's possibly my favorite thing about the upgrade, app-connect a close second.

Edit: I did not do anything in coding before or after the upgrade related to this issue so it might not be a KESSY issue exclusively.

nonegiven

Go Kart Newbie
This may not help because my car does not have KESSY but my MIB I turned off when I turned off the engine, both radio and bluetooth.

After going to MIB II the radio and bluetooth remain on until I open the door. It's possibly my favorite thing about the upgrade, app-connect a close second.

Edit: I did not do anything in coding before or after the upgrade related to this issue so it might not be a KESSY issue exclusively.

That does help though you're the first NA, MIB1, non-KESSY owner to report that their radio turned off with the ignition.

At least I know that if I go through the trouble and expense to upgrade to MIB2 that I'll do away with this annoyance.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
That does help though you're the first NA, MIB1, non-KESSY owner to report that their radio turned off with the ignition.

At least I know that if I go through the trouble and expense to upgrade to MIB2 that I'll do away with this annoyance.
Yeah, I'm in a 2015 TDI S with no options. The radio turning off when I turned off the engine was really annoying but the posts about it talked about KESSY equipped vehicles. I actually didn't expect it had anything to do with MIB I/II and was very pleasantly surprised.

nonegiven

Go Kart Newbie
Yeah, I'm in a 2015 TDI S with no options. The radio turning off when I turned off the engine was really annoying but the posts about it talked about KESSY equipped vehicles. I actually didn't expect it had anything to do with MIB I/II and was very pleasantly surprised.

Missed that you were TDI. Not sure if it matters but I had only been looking at past GTI owners experiences.

The odd thing is that the MIB1 functions as it should on all ROW cars.

aditud

Passed Driver's Ed
Question for anyone who's done this conversion who had a 2015 KESSY car with MIB1. After swapping to the MIB2 unit, does your radio and/or BT connection remain active after turning off the car but before you open the door?

Only the NA MIB1 KESSY cars would lose power to the radio after turning off the ignition and I believe it's a KESSY issue but would like to know for sure.

I don't know about bluetooth (and I won't for a couple of weeks, as I'm traveling for work), but yes, the radio (or CarPlay, Car Stats etc) stays on until you open the driver's door. I have KESSY and, indeed, MIB1 was very annoying in that respect.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I noticed something today. Short version: In my 2015 TDI with MIB II retrofit the microphone powers off a couple minutes after turning off the engine even though the radio and Bluetooth stay on until the door is opened.

Long version: As stated before when I was MIB I the radio (and Bluetooth) would turn off when I turned off the engine, annoying. Of course I could just press the power button on the radio and turn it back on but Bluetooth would still be off unless I turned the ignition back to "On." This did not require starting the engine but with the ignition fully off I never had Bluetooth. (I believe there was even a message about it on the screen)

Since going MIB II the radio no longer turns off when I turn the engine off. With Android auto running, playing music, I will turn the engine off and almost immediately my music continues playing over Bluetooth. (side note, Bluetooth also connects and starts playing music much, much faster than it did with MIB I, if for example I get in and start the car before connecting the USB cable)

For the first time since the upgrade I was on the phone today when I shut the engine off. I sat in the car and continued talking to my wife. After maybe 2 minutes she could no longer hear me although I could hear her. She was in her car and I thought maybe she hit a spot with bad service so I waited about five minutes to call her back. When I hung up my music started playing over Bluetooth as expected. When I called her back again she couldn't hear me. Picked up my phone and switched the call from Bluetooth to speaker phone and then she could hear me. She said on her end it sounded like I had muted my mic, dead silent. At that point I had to go inside so we hung up. The music resumed again just like I would expect.

I didn't think to turn the key back to the on position because I assumed the Bluetooth module and microphone were all tied together but I guess that isn't the case. I'll probably give that a shot tomorrow. Anybody else noticed this behavior, or try to change it?

aditud

Passed Driver's Ed
I noticed something today. Short version: In my 2015 TDI with MIB II retrofit the microphone powers off a couple minutes after turning off the engine even though the radio and Bluetooth stay on until the door is opened.

Long version: As stated before when I was MIB I the radio (and Bluetooth) would turn off when I turned off the engine, annoying. Of course I could just press the power button on the radio and turn it back on but Bluetooth would still be off unless I turned the ignition back to "On." This did not require starting the engine but with the ignition fully off I never had Bluetooth. (I believe there was even a message about it on the screen)

Since going MIB II the radio no longer turns off when I turn the engine off. With Android auto running, playing music, I will turn the engine off and almost immediately my music continues playing over Bluetooth. (side note, Bluetooth also connects and starts playing music much, much faster than it did with MIB I, if for example I get in and start the car before connecting the USB cable)

For the first time since the upgrade I was on the phone today when I shut the engine off. I sat in the car and continued talking to my wife. After maybe 2 minutes she could no longer hear me although I could hear her. She was in her car and I thought maybe she hit a spot with bad service so I waited about five minutes to call her back. When I hung up my music started playing over Bluetooth as expected. When I called her back again she couldn't hear me. Picked up my phone and switched the call from Bluetooth to speaker phone and then she could hear me. She said on her end it sounded like I had muted my mic, dead silent. At that point I had to go inside so we hung up. The music resumed again just like I would expect.

I didn't think to turn the key back to the on position because I assumed the Bluetooth module and microphone were all tied together but I guess that isn't the case. I'll probably give that a shot tomorrow. Anybody else noticed this behavior, or try to change it?

Yes, I did. Was waiting for someone in the parking lot with engine off but infotainment still on. A call came through CarPlay but when I picked up the person on the other side could not hear me.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Into the big plug on the back of your MIB II unit. It replaces the green plug that's in there currently.