GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Detailing for dummies: I'm the dummy-Wash mitts have entered the chat; possibly other things you stick your hands into!

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I’ve used the same Porter Cable 7424 for twenty years now. I had to replace the power cord once, but that’s it.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
You know, I did see some mentions of that model and got so lost forgot to look at it. Would you say it’s a forgiving enough machine for beginners?
Yeah, it’s a random orbital, speed range is a bit limited, I tend to use the two fastest of the six speeds. I use Lake Country 5” pads and backing plate.

I have a rotary too, it’s nice for actual correction and working with abused paint, but the Porter Cable is fine for my own cars and general polishing and glazing.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Yeah, it’s a random orbital, speed range is a bit limited, I tend to use the two fastest of the six speeds. I use Lake Country 5” pads and backing plate.

I have a rotary too, it’s nice for actual correction and working with abused paint, but the Porter Cable is fine for my own cars and general polishing and glazing.
Love it. At its price point, it’s a front runner for sure. For a polishing job I’ve seen one pad panel, would you say that is accurate?

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Love it. At its price point, it’s a front runner for sure. For a polishing job I’ve seen one pad panel, would you say that is accurate?
Really depends on the pad and the polish you’re using. If you’re using a cutting pad and an aggressive polish, like 500 grit or greater, it can load up pretty quickly. If you’re using 2000 grit and a light action pad, you can likely get the whole car done.

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
Not looking to cut then polish, just polish with a 5" pad maybe once a year.
You get what you pay for... if you just want to do a light polish get the Porter Cable. It will last you forever. Buy the Chinese crap that GG/Harbor Freight?etc sells and you're not sure if it is going to die the first time you use it. The main issue is the power, the big boys have done their home work and their machines are made to last. Adams have come a long way from their first machine, they are better, but I would still save some money and get something better. The machine that Optimum Polymers sells was tested for a long time, getting all the kinks fixed before they were sold.

Really depends on the pad and the polish you’re using. If you’re using a cutting pad and an aggressive polish, like 500 grit or greater, it can load up pretty quickly. If you’re using 2000 grit and a light action pad, you can likely get the whole car done.
I don't want to be rude... but do you know what you are talking about? There are no polishes that are sold by grits. If you are talking about sanding marks... you can not compound/polish 500 grit. Compounds are formulated for removing 1500-1000 grit sanding marks. Polishes, if they are good and made with diminishing abrasives, you can work with 2500 and up sanding marks.

I wouldn't use a polish for anything less than 3000. If I am doing a car that is extremely swirled, and it is a relatively new car, with permission of the owner I start with 3000 trizact, followed by a light compound, then polish. If the owner says no, or it is an old car I would just do the compound and polish. A polish is good for very light swirls.

2016 Mercedes SLK55, as it was brought to me. The owner just had it detailed at the Wash Tub.
56653132186__238955C0-D6F3-490A-9E94-9A8D7C820554.jpg
IMG_1091.jpg

After decon. Washed with OP Power Clean, Ferrex, and clay bar with ONR. This removes all the heavy waxes and fillers those places use to cover the scratches their brushes and pads do on the cars.
IMG_1128.jpg

IMG_1125.jpg

IMG_1134.jpg

IMG_1137.jpg

After Trizact 3000/ Optimum Hyper Compound with Ruper Yellow Wool pad
IMG_1138.jpg

50/50 3000 trizact and compound on the other side
IMG_1132.jpg

Finished and coated with Opti Coat Pro.
IMG_1154.jpg

IMG_1150.jpg

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Ha, sorry, been using Menzerna for years, just their terminology. I realize I used the wrong term.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
You get what you pay for... if you just want to do a light polish get the Porter Cable. It will last you forever. Buy the Chinese crap that GG/Harbor Freight?etc sells and you're not sure if it is going to die the first time you use it. The main issue is the power, the big boys have done their home work and their machines are made to last. Adams have come a long way from their first machine, they are better, but I would still save some money and get something better. The machine that Optimum Polymers sells was tested for a long time, getting all the kinks fixed before they were sold.

As someone who relies on tools to make money everyday, I’m all about spending money once. I have also learned buying the most expensive isn’t necessarily the best. I know there are some pro level machines I don’t need and that why I’m trying to figure out a good balance between the money spent and quality bought and not buying too much machine.

Is this the one you were talking about? Thanks for the reply.

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
Is this the one you were talking about? Thanks for the reply.
Yes, that's the one I have. Nice to see they have it on sale, they rarely do sales on their machines.

I did a quick search and I think I know why they brought the price down... Rupes introduced the new MK III Big Foot polishers and brought the price of the MK II down. Either one of this machines would be a great buy. The MK II use to sell for $429 before the new one came out. If I was choosing between this two I would get the Rupes instead. They opened a factory in Colorado, which means easier turnaround if you ever need service.

https://www.detailedimage.com/Rupes-M62/Big-Foot-Random-Orbital-Polisher-P759/LHR-15ES-S7/

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I have the 7424XP as well. It is fine as a polisher but it vibrates a bit much for my liking and starts to make my hands hurt after awhile. NBD if you only use it once a year or so but if you are planning to use it more often I'd get something better.
Don't disagree that there are better models. But you can run the smaller counter balance for 5" backing plates, it cuts down on the shimmy quite a bit and hasn't had any adverse effects on my 20 year old 7424.

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
I have the 7424XP as well. It is fine as a polisher but it vibrates a bit much for my liking and starts to make my hands hurt after awhile. NBD if you only use it once a year or so but if you are planning to use it more often I'd get something better.

agreed and like bentin I have an OG 7424 but with only busting that thing out once a year like you said to do the full clay/Decon/polish/sealant routine I’ve never felt the need to upgrade it. With that said Adams is having their big tent sale I believe this weekend or next here in CO and have thought about running up there to get a new one.