GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Detailed Review of ALL THE TUNES!!! Track & daily use

Spade

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf Sportwagen
Well close to it for a North American EA888 MQB 1.8T. Shout out to NGP Racing and Everything Euro (North Carolina) for being awesome shops that support grassroots amateur racers.

Disclosure:
Long read [Cliffs in brackets], likely crossposted. This is largely targeted to enthusiasts, IE: at a minimum those who autocross regularly but more so HPDE & Time Trial with 20-25 minute sessions. Perhaps applicable to W2W racers if sessions are short. Cars and Coffee crowd or "my car's not ready yet" types will likely find little value in this review.

I am not affiliated with any of these companies. I've used all but one on track as noted below. All of them have excellent customer service and those noted as honoring a return did so without issue. I'd like to separate the people from the tune itself as my feedback is squarely on the reflash and little more.

Tunes are listed in order of purchase/use. In addition to autocross, tracks ran on (SCCA Time Trial Sport 4 class) include Road Atlanta, Virginia International Raceway and Carolina Motorsports Park. Daytona Speedway is next. Car is 99% stock drivetrain, exception being K&N air filter and no snow guard. GSW 4Motion 6MT.

All ECU reflashes seem to mention increased throttle response and/or removal of early onset throttle lag. None do significantly. My E46 330i still feels much more responsive than the Golf on any of these tunes.

Review:
1. Burger Motorsports JB4 [Best Value]. Yes this absolutely belongs on the list. It makes as much if not more WHP than the first reflash I did and is user adjustable unlike any of the below tunes. Customer service and value ads are exceptional thanks to George. I've taken advantage of the transferability once and if my wife finds a manual Alltrack, I'll do so again. Driveability is just like stock with significantly more power in the mid to upper RPM range. Car pulls like a slightly torquey NA car without dying up top. It pulls well to redline. Around the 15 minute mark, timing will get pulled and I'll start to be slower. How slow? Drag race a well sorted NB Spec Miata on the back straight at Road Atlanta slow. Alas, technically per SCCA Sport class regulations, piggybacks are not legal, only ECU reflashes are. So for Time Trial Nationals in May I knew I had to switch and it made sense to do it ahead of time.

2. Integrated Engineering Stage 1 [Torquey-ist down low, disappointment mid to high]. This tune I only autocrossed with, no track time. Stock clutch (4Motion 6MT) took 8 hard launches at 5.5K just fine. Surprisingly it didn't get going much faster than on JB4. In fact I only noticed a difference if I decided to leave it in 2nd on a tight turnaround rather than downshift to 1st. This tune simply feels quick on the street and taking off (no launch) from a stop. But it's disappointing above 4K. In essence I paid just to be class legal but no faster. Now power gain where it counts on track; 4K to redline. MPG is slightly decreased from stock & JB4 but not bad (10% decrease at worst). Unlike APR and Unitronic, IE's stage 2 seems to be more than just a CEL eliminator; perhaps I'd like the stage 2 if downpipes were legal in my TT class. My disappointment is squarely on their Stage 1 tune.

3. APR Stage 1 [The fastest, briefly]. This is the best tune for autocrossers and perhaps time trialers who are fine with a maximum of 2 push laps before a cool down lap is needed. It was outright dangerous at VIR. I was able to keep up with a good driver in a E36 M3 for 1.9 laps of VIR Grand Course. Then on the main straight timing got pulled and he walked away. That's not the bad part. Boost cuts and boost surges were unpredictable and violent. I entered the climbing esses at WOT since timing was pulled then I got a couple boost surges in the middle of them. It was unnerving. APR's stage 1 tune must not have been tested on track for any meaningful amount of time; this behavior was unacceptable. Upon reaching out to them, they suggested a wastegate failure. While that may be the weakest link, a 35K mile car with 1 prior track weekend shouldn't be having those issues on a tune made for a 100% stock set up. This is more of a cars and coffee tune that mate well with autocross. It has nearly the torque of IE with the HP of Unitronic. It's very boost heavy and feels as such. No mystery the turbo was complaining. MPG from stock is relatively unchanged.

4. Reflect Stage 1 [Jack of no trades]. Reflect tunes are not all "custom" as many misinformed people on the web say. Many are just another Stage 1, Stage 2, Stage 3, etc. AND there happens to be support for non staged, OTS mapping. I explained my car was stock but was beginning to see regular track use. I was given the generic stage 1 tune anyway. I went back to VIR. It was slower than APR, noticeably. Timing pull didn't happen this time despite it being slightly warmer out. But boost cuts still did. Session 3 I ran a 2:20.2. Session 4 I ran a 2:21.3 due to boost cuts on the main straight. Had session 3 not happened, I would have placed 2nd rather than 1st in class at NCR SCCA TT. It also makes significantly (20%) less MPG than stock. This was the only tune that lacked daily driveability. Acceleration & boost would slightly surge randomly. Cruise control wasn't smooth anymore when throttle input was needed. Overall this tune felt very unrefined/unpolished with no performance benefit.

5. Unitronic Stage 1 [Best overall, pricey]. This was my last resort. Someone must have cut my life into pieces. $700 for a stage 1 that can't be transferred is atrocious. Plus, unlike APR they have a $50 fee for changing your mind/mods. Whereas you'd pay $500 for APR stage 1, then $250 to upgrade to stage 3 IS38 ($750 total), for Unitronic you'd be at $700 for stage 1 then $350 to upgrade to their IS38 file ($1,050 total). That pricing simply put me off of them. But lo and behold, after returning APR and letting 30 days go by from when I purchased their tune, Unitronic honored their 20% off switch and save. $560 is not so bad. Especially when it's the only tune to have a significant HP and TQ bump over stock with no driveability issues on track. It was quick and consistent at Carolina Motorsports Park. I was consistently in the 1:50 - 1:51 range lap after lap, despite oil creeping to mid 250s. MPG same as stock. This is the best stage 1 for a track day bro.

A9B00243.jpg

Last edited:

odessa.filez

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
Thanks for all this. 2016 Sportwagen, 09G, JB4 here. Ax for fun in XSA.

Looking forward to others feedback here on the flash tunes. I've comsidered them and might still do one, but it's hard to rationalize a switch from JB4 since I paid full price, purposely for their support if needed.

Do you ever ax with HSCC? Lately I've been going to their Franklin NC events.

tigeo

Autocross Champion

Looking forward to others feedback here on the flash tunes. I've comsidered them and might still do one, but it's hard to rationalize a switch from JB4 since I paid full price, purposely for their support if needed.

With the 09G auto you may be more limited on the flash tunes is something to keep in mind.

ckuhns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf Sportwagen
Weird you had issues with the APR tune, I did 2 track days at Laguna with their 87 octane stage 1 tune and 2 on the 91 tune with no issues whatsoever, will have their stage 3 IS20 tune here shortly.

Spade

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf Sportwagen

Yes but I'm in Arden so I go to their events at the WNC agricultural center in Fletcher. I did Franklin once. But it's too close to the Dragon for me to not want to commit high crimes there instead.

Weird you had issues with the APR tune, I did 2 track days at Laguna with their 87 octane stage 1 tune and 2 on the 91 tune with no issues whatsoever, will have their stage 3 IS20 tune here shortly.

Yea Karst kept telling me about you having no issues. Odd.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
I agree on the IE tune. It runs out of breath up top. Stage 1 91 Oct file, with their revision for the 09G auto.

Currently stacking my JB4 ontop of it to give it more top end. Pushing 21 PSI peak to about 4.5k feels much better.

Spade

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf Sportwagen
I agree on the IE tune. It runs out of breath up top. Stage 1 91 Oct file, with their revision for the 09G auto.

Currently stacking my JB4 ontop of it to give it more top end. Pushing 21 PSI peak to about 4.5k feels much better.

I honestly thought about that for HPDE. But it would have been a pain to remove and add depending on if I was running Time Trial or just HPDE. And that halfway defeated the point of a tune to begin with.

Glad you made it work though.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
I honestly thought about that for HPDE. But it would have been a pain to remove and add depending on if I was running Time Trial or just HPDE. And that halfway defeated the point of a tune to begin with.

Glad you made it work though.
Ah, have to meet different requirements depending on the event?

Do you happen to have any logs of your APR file?

Being in CA I'll eventually have to deal with smog. My currently plan is APR stage 1 when smog comes closer due to CARB approval, stacked with the JB4 to support an IS20 swap. That way I don't have to deal with readiness, and I don't mind Uninstalling and reinstalling the JB4 every 2 years for smog as I'll have to swap DPs anyhow.

The IE file has been good so far, but curious what I can see with APRs current file revisions. I've heard the current APR file doesn't play too nice with turning up the boost.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Question on your experience with Reflect. I understand you got a staged tune, but did you explore any of the other options he offers? Upgraded 2.0 HPFP, flex or ethanol tuning?

As I understand it reflect can do quite a bit with the 1.8T, especially the FWD version that other tuners ignore.

Seems there are few flash yourself 1.8T tuners. I'm almost tempted to try and build a file with the Simos tool.:unsure:

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
I only ever really had one interaction with Reflect (Ian), but it really turned me off of him. I was asking about what it would take to do a few custom things with my tune (mostly gear ratios for the 6 speed), because at the time they were the only ones I was aware of doing custom tuning for the 1.8, and he basically called me an idiot and belittled me because I hadn't learned some of the language he was used to yet. At one point he said "this is NOT a change with vcds. this would required a complete ecu reflash". And I had to respond with a more polite version of "YEA I KNOW THAT'S WHY I FUCKING REACHED OUT TO YOU". And he ended up saying he couldn't do anything anyways without the car in person. Since then I've done everything I needed to do myself with open source tuning anyways. This was a few years ago though, it sounds like they've improved since then.

goodvibes

Go Kart Champion
Sounds like the you could use the JB4 for differences in curse or simply to tweak on top of the unitronic tune. The other tune I'd like to see compared sometime is the United Motorsport but I don't expect you to try it now that you've found one that fits well. :)

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I only ever really had one interaction with Reflect (Ian), but it really turned me off of him. I was asking about what it would take to do a few custom things with my tune (mostly gear ratios for the 6 speed), because at the time they were the only ones I was aware of doing custom tuning for the 1.8, and he basically called me an idiot and belittled me because I hadn't learned some of the language he was used to yet. At one point he said "this is NOT a change with vcds. this would required a complete ecu reflash". And I had to respond with a more polite version of "YEA I KNOW THAT'S WHY I FUCKING REACHED OUT TO YOU". And he ended up saying he couldn't do anything anyways without the car in person. Since then I've done everything I needed to do myself with open source tuning anyways. This was a few years ago though, it sounds like they've improved since then.
There isn't much to gain stacking on Uni with a JB4 on that IS12 and may cause more trouble than it's worth. He wants something stable/easy/reliable to get lap times. I too would be interested to hear about United's OTS stage 1 tune in this use. I have seen some logs and it looked, if I remember correctly, to be about a split between Uni and APR w/r to boost/timing...so a bit less boost than APR and a bit more timing. Could be a winner!

Spade

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf Sportwagen
Regarding Reflect, that was the same vibe I got. I'm glad there was no issue in returning the tune and flashing back to stock.

BUT It seemed like a 99% stock car was too boring. I purposely wanted a more reliable tune at 250+ degree oil temp. Not the most power/torque on a dyno.

If I were to move up classes, a 2.0 HPFP, etc. with supporting tune would be nice. But given how inconsistent the simple stage 1 tune is, I wouldn't feel comforable with anything Reflect on track.

United Motorsport looked interesting and did support my Box Code. I just felt bad for the shop doing my flashes. They did APR, are next door to Reflect and they did Unitronic. That's what they offer. Wouldn't have been right going elsewhere unless I absolutely needed to.

I'm curious on stacking if I switch classes and go IS38. I'd rather keep the ridiculous $350 Unitronic charges. That would be 1,050 for an OTS map at retail. Nuts.

odessa.filez

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
Op, do you left foot brake? If so, any comments on APR or others who enable this?

Spade

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf Sportwagen
No left foot braking. My left foot only knows how to Hulk smash.

Short term update on Unitronic. I did 2 days of HPDE at Daytona Speedway where temps were 87 to 96. No noticeable issues but I wasn't driving at 10/10ths.

I did 3 days at NCM Motorsports park where temps were 75-90. This as SCCA Time Trials Nationals so I worked up to 10/10ths.

1st lap HAD to be my best lap. If I ran a 2:31 and drove the exact same in corners, my next lap would be a 2:33. Timing pull was gentle but I saw each lap time and knew. Theoretical best lap was in 2:29s since I shaved off times in corners (looking at sectors).

No complaints given limitations of fully stock hardware. I'm genuinely impressed.