GOLFMKV

Delete

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
2016 GSW auto, 33k miles, bought new

no trans / engine mount mods

first impression after taking it home - unrefined - drivetrain droned some when put in reverse. had it checked out, told it was normal.

plenty of engine / trans movement on low speed throttle lift.

most of the time, it shifts well in D, though feels laggy.

S mode is some improvement but not enough to call it sport.

kickdown sometimes lags.

tiptronic shifting is usually pretty good though rev matching is sometimes not great on downshifts.

if I forget to downshift in M, I occasionally experience a rude 3-2. This happens now and then in S and D though not as severe.

there is a TSB on the shift selector. Mine needed to be replaced under warranty.

recently I developed some heat shield noise near the selector cable at idle rpm with foot on brake and in drive. dissipates as rpm elevates with AC switched on. going back in to dealer for that, thinking it may be related to the shift selector fix.

do I regret buying an automatic? can't say as I haven't owned a manual for quite awhile... but compared to other cars we've owned, not impressed. If I were buying another Golf (and I might be inclined not), I might test drive the GSW 4mo 6spd manual.

edit:
according to my local APR dealer, a tcu tune is not possible.

there are some vagcom / obdeleven tweaks that can help with D / S transition and a nannie that prevents wheelspin on launch.

on my car, transmission adaptation reset appears to be disabled.

Last edited:

espo92

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 Audi A3 2.0T
034 Dogbone mount, and various power mods
Nope, car is a daily first and foremost. The auto tranmission can seemingly hold power and be reliable to drive to work.
Tiptronic isn’t lightning quick, but it does shift when you ask it to. I’ve driven some other Tiptronics (08 caliber, 12 challenger, 15 rav4, 13 wrangler) that just seem to not know what you asked it to do.
If you mean drag racing off the line, just rev it up to about 2000 with your left foot on the brake. The car will launch pretty well. In daily traffic i do tend to let idle get me moving before i use the gas but i think that is more to avoid a stumble since going APR stage 2.
I sure hope so.
Feel free to ask any questions if you think of any more

1.8T EA888

Passed Driver's Ed
034 Mount on Tiptronic

034 Dogbone mount, and various power mods
Nope, car is a daily first and foremost. The auto tranmission can seemingly hold power and be reliable to drive to work.
Tiptronic isn’t lightning quick, but it does shift when you ask it to. I’ve driven some other Tiptronics (08 caliber, 12 challenger, 15 rav4, 13 wrangler) that just seem to not know what you asked it to do.
If you mean drag racing off the line, just rev it up to about 2000 with your left foot on the brake. The car will launch pretty well. In daily traffic i do tend to let idle get me moving before i use the gas but i think that is more to avoid a stumble since going APR stage 2.
I sure hope so.
Feel free to ask any questions if you think of any more

Hey man, I am in the process of getting an 034 dogbone mount for 1.8T Tiptronic. How do you like it? Does it change up the character of the transmission and the car drastically? What can I expect?

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
I'm driving a 2016 slushie with 20,000 miles on the odometer. Only issue I've had on the car was condensation building up in the passenger side headlight which was fixed under warranty. As for the drive train, absolutely rock solid.

The Aisin transmission has delivered mothing but crisp reliable shifts. The actual speed of the shift depends on how deep you are into the gas pedal, with more spirited driving granting near instantaneous responses from the tiptronic system. Keep in mind i drive in manual mode virtually all of the time. For whatever it's worth, during the test drive of a dsg gti, i failed to notice that much of a difference when shifting.

Mod list so far is the APR downpipe with corresponding stage 2 tune, VWR 500 intake, and the complete stage 2 mounting kit from BFI. Those really livened the car up, and I've been tuned for 10,000 miles now without a single issue. Of all of those, the mounts do incur additional NVH within the cabin, but I've found that by shifting into neutral while stopped and making certain the tach never dips below 1500 revs insures a smooth comfortable ride.

To note I just finished installing a is20 into the car, but I'm probably not going to tune it at least into tomorrow. I'll be certain to provide feedback for the APR tune when I've had some experience with it.

I did consider the five speed when picking my car, but ultimately I decided that life in the bay area (with all it's wonderful traffic and hills) coupled with the fact that I really wanted six gears to play with was enough to sway me over to the automatic.

Also doesn't hurt that these auto transmissions can take basically all the power we want to throw at them, whereas with the manual anything past the stock tune requires a beefier clutch.

espo92

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 Audi A3 2.0T
Hey man, I am in the process of getting an 034 dogbone mount for 1.8T Tiptronic. How do you like it? Does it change up the character of the transmission and the car drastically? What can I expect?

I mainly notice a difference when launching. You do feel a bit of NVH increase when in Sport or Manual 1st gear while at a stand still. But it definitely got rid of some of the slop also. I wouldn’t call it drastic unless your all out launching the car regularly. I did that and springs at the same time and i was very happy after the upgrades.

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
CTS dogbone mount for me. Nothing to complain about as far as shifting goes... I did have that shift selector issue however it was fixed under that TSB. I spend most of the time in D for fuel econ and because its the dead of winter... summer sees more S. I havent really spent much time in M. Its something I'd like to see if I can get in the habit of... becoming a better driver and all...

Gro Harlem

Ready to race!
IMO the Aisin 6-speed slushbox is one of the best (if not the best) torque-converter auto i've ever driven and I've driven plentttyyy of different autos in my time. Not as quick as a DSG but feels smoother in low-rpm driving.

Using the paddles in manual mode isn't all that exciting as there is a delay in upshift/downshifts but it is the same delay I had in my DSG TDI. Upshifts in sportmode are a bit to be desired sometimes...it'll hold RPM Too long into the rev range instead of short-shifting it like I'd prefer since the turbo drops off a cliff at 4800 so using manual mode in that scenario is mandatory.

I had a harsh 3-2 downshift issue when I first got my car but it smoothed itself out over time. Between 1000-7000 miles it would feel like a DSG and slam into 2nd gear while coasting down at ~30-20mph off-throttle but that is entirely gone now and I've heard from other people that they no longer have that issue either. I'm not sure what the oil change interval is on the AISIN but i'm sure its cheaper to maintain than a DSG which is a plus and from what I've seen on the VW forums, these things can hold plenty of power/torque and I've yet to hear of a failed one.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
OP thanks for this thread. I hope it helps your decision and doesn't digress into a dogbone mount thread :) Good for everyone to share experiences on the auto and read opinions on it.

1.8T EA888

Passed Driver's Ed
I mainly notice a difference when launching. You do feel a bit of NVH increase when in Sport or Manual 1st gear while at a stand still. But it definitely got rid of some of the slop also. I wouldn’t call it drastic unless your all out launching the car regularly. I did that and springs at the same time and i was very happy after the upgrades.

Thanks man, I think I'm gonna go ahead with it. OP, the transmission is great for dailying, however sometimes when I launch really hard there seems to be a lurch between the 1 and 2 shift.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
What are some vcds tweaks to help out?
brakes --> starting vibration reduction: disabled allows some wheelspin on launch

there is another that causes immediate change to D vs S shift points instead of gradual adaptations. there's a thread on it somewhere.

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2491
http://obdeleven.proboards.com/thread/764/coding-adaptations
There are many, these are just the bookmarks I have.

Also, I guess I'll contribute to OP. I believe the auto is very similar to the auto from the mk6, at least in internal composition and feel. For those that don't know, i had a mk6 2.5 auto for about a year and a half before this car, and it's been hand-me-downed to my brother so I still drive it every once in a while.

I agree with some of the people above in that it's probably the best torque converter auto I've ever driven. It feels surprisingly direct, the torque converter locks up at super low rpm, it's very easy to get a sense of what's going on, especially in manual mode, and the gear ratios were excellent. I'd say it's even better than my mom's 328i auto, but that's mostly because 8 gears is too many. Although, part of that may have contributed even more to my extreme desire for a proper manual because it just kept reminding me that I could be doing everything it's doing myself with the right transmission.

Last edited:

TJN

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S
2017 Wolfsburg with 32k miles. Had since new. Have 034 dog bone insert as well. It had some NVH first but once broken in a bit it has been great, crisp shifts. I also have JB4 with GTI turboback and 034 res delete. I like this slush box better than DSG on my previous MK6.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk