GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

dealing with front license plate holes

gchen6850

Ready to race!
Yea I wouldn't use the plugs they stick out to much (for me anyway). I had some dude cut some bolts for me but they may be out of the question for you since the film is already on.

I'd pull the bumped and spray some color matched paint on the film then fill in the back with glue (keep out contaminants).

I have dr. colorchip for my car...think that'll work? also what did you use to make these "bolts"?

gchen6850

Ready to race!
The DrColorChip might work. Haven't used that before but as long as it doesn't streak then it should.

This kid made the bolts.
https://instagram.com/p/wrJ303j8Dj/
This looks like an awesome option actually. I'll contact him to see if he could make one for me. Thanks! The film already being on isn't a problem because the film guy will be cutting out the places for the holes when I see him again to finish off the job so if I tell him what my plans are for the bumper plugs then it should work out.

gchen6850

Ready to race!
I am the kind of guy that resprays his mk1 when I see dirt on it....

I would say repair / respray and blend on the bumper/fenders/hood.

I dunno if you have seen but there is an ebay listing for oem euro front bumpers without holes for a few hundred. Also see MK7 GTI front bumper skins for $199 + shipping....if you wanted to go that route too.

Its really up to YOU.

Please let us know what you end up doing :)

so I ended up calling my clear bra guy and he told me it was fine to just leave the film over the holes to cover them because most bumpers are closed off in the back anyway so dirt shouldn't get caught behind the film where the holes are. I plan on ordering bumper fillers from the guy carteruss suggested when he starts making them again. For the two holes with the threads, I plan to probably use bumper plugs? Not sure yet. Does anyone have any experience dealing with the threaded holes? I assume I need to get rid of those threads in order to install any sort of plug.

gchen6850

Ready to race!
Could anyone with experience with bumperplugs guide me through installing these on the holes where there are threads? I just ordered a pair of plugs

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Could anyone with experience with bumperplugs guide me through installing these on the holes where there are threads? I just ordered a pair of plugs

I have not see first hand, but I think they are just a push in plug with expanded shaft that holds with friction. You might have to drill to a certain size if to small and make sure hole is clear. Should be directions from supplier.

gchen6850

Ready to race!
I have not see first hand, but I think they are just a push in plug with expanded shaft that holds with friction. You might have to drill to a certain size if to small and make sure hole is clear. Should be directions from supplier.

Thanks just received them and they did come with instructions. And yes it would normally be that simple. But as you can (kinda) see in my picture, the middle holes have threads behind them that would need to be dealt with before I could install the plugs. Was hoping someone might have some tips for that. Wondering if I would need to take off the bumper itself to remove the threads or if there is an easier alternative.

CamarosRus

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 Golf SE
For the member with threaded holes in bumper ...I'm thinking these are nutserts
either aluminum or steel that was installed by a dealer so as to use small bolts
vs screws into the plastic itself.
I would think drilling out the nutsert and then plugging would be better than
trying to inseert plug into threaded nutsert.......but I have never tried either....

CamarosRus

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 Golf SE
SonicBloom, If the threads are in fact "nutserts" (hopefully aluminum) they have a small
collar (slight larger OD than the barrel) This collar would need to be drilled on to remove
it , then the threaded barrel could be pushed thru and falls down behind bumper ?

akimmel

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI AB 6MT
if you look at the picture he sent back in 2015 its just where the screws that hold the plate to the bracket poked through the bracket and into the bumper because they were too long.