GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

dealing with front license plate holes

gchen6850

Ready to race!
I know there are several threads about the dealer induced holes in the front bumper. But I have a slightly more unique case that I want some second opinions on. I had been fine running the front plate for more than half a year now. But recently I got a clear bra installed and of course my installer removed the license plate to be able to cover the bumper fully. He left the plate off for the time being as the film cures and settles and I am really loving the no plate look.

So now I am looking at dealing with the 5 holes up front. Three are just empty holes whereas the last two have threads behind them. I have already contacted bumper plugs about options but was wondering what you guys might think. In addition, the clear bra itself is actually currently covering the three unthreaded holes...was maybe thinking of just leaving them like that? Anyway, any opinions would be appreciated!

paulkromz

Drag Racing Champion
I am the kind of guy that resprays his mk1 when I see dirt on it....

I would say repair / respray and blend on the bumper/fenders/hood.

I dunno if you have seen but there is an ebay listing for oem euro front bumpers without holes for a few hundred. Also see MK7 GTI front bumper skins for $199 + shipping....if you wanted to go that route too.

Its really up to YOU.

Please let us know what you end up doing :)

duke10990

Ready to race!
I used a similiar type product. I work for a security co tho and found them laying around our shop and they filled the holes lol. My car is a midnight blue so the plugs being black doesnt bother me at all and no more holes!!

gchen6850

Ready to race!
I am the kind of guy that resprays his mk1 when I see dirt on it....

I would say repair / respray and blend on the bumper/fenders/hood.

I dunno if you have seen but there is an ebay listing for oem euro front bumpers without holes for a few hundred. Also see MK7 GTI front bumper skins for $199 + shipping....if you wanted to go that route too.

Its really up to YOU.

Please let us know what you end up doing :)
When you refer to front bumper skins what are you referring to specifically? Is that a new protective film?

gchen6850

Ready to race!
Clear bra is not cheap and already applied.
To remove, remove bumper fit and paint, then apply new bra sounds like a lot to do.
How about bumper plugs?
I think you can search under this name.
Others have used on forum.

Post pic of current bumper with film over holes if you would. So we can see.
Thanks yeah I have been considering bhmperplugs. I was mainly wondering if there might be alternative options. Or if it might work to just leave the film over the holes as is since they are currently covering the holes making them less noticeable. Tbh I feel like bumper plugs might be more noticeable but of course I don't want to risk messing up the clear bra job.

Last edited:

gchen6850

Ready to race!
Sorry my phone is not letting me post a pic...

Also does anyone with experience with the bumper plugs know how to deal with the two holes that have threads in them?

gchen6850

Ready to race!
What color is your car? Not sure the strength of material the film is but maybe you could just paint the other side of the film to match if the holes are clean cut?

The car is carbon steel grey and the holes are clean cut. I was definitely consideirng something like that which is what I was hoping someone on this forum might be able to help me out with as I definitely think that if the film is sturdy enough, NOT using bumper plugs might actually be much more subtle.

carterruss

Ready to race!
Yea I wouldn't use the plugs they stick out to much (for me anyway). I had some dude cut some bolts for me but they may be out of the question for you since the film is already on.

I'd pull the bumped and spray some color matched paint on the film then fill in the back with glue (keep out contaminants).

gchen6850

Ready to race!
Yea I wouldn't use the plugs they stick out to much (for me anyway). I had some dude cut some bolts for me but they may be out of the question for you since the film is already on.

I'd pull the bumped and spray some color matched paint on the film then fill in the back with glue (keep out contaminants).

Interesting! Maybe I will try talking to my clear bra guy about what he thinks. He's a local genius with protective films, so he might have a solution for me. To be honest, the way it is with the film over the current holes, it is very un-noticeable esp on my dark car. I would love for an option where I could forego bumper plugs.

I think I will need at least two bumper plugs though for the threaded holes which aren't currently covered by the film.

gchen6850

Ready to race!