GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DAP Mk7.5 dynamic tail lights coding issue

rmarin2

So I've been searching and found a few posts about people have some coding issues but their solutions haven't helped me nor did they have the same issues.

Ran DAP wiring harness and install was pretty straight forward. Got to the coding piece and can't seem to get the tails to function properly. I'm well versed in vcds so pretty sure my issue is that the coding instructions that come with the lights aren't exact for my MY; 17 GTI SE w/ lighting package (halogen tails came stock).

Symptoms after coding:
- no brake lights on tails (high mount brake light works fine)
- left turn signal works as it should (dynamic style)
- right turn signal blinks like a standard LED
- no fog light functionality; I have the updated light switch knob with rear fog option (found a post that said it needed to be coded but didn't seem to work)
- believe I have newer ODX version (ver 017002)
- with light switch set to Auto, all tails light up as they should; but still no brake lights and right turn signal blinks in non-dynamic style
- reverse lights work fine

I used obdeleven and vagcom to code but seem to get same results.

Anyone have any ideas where I should start looking??

For reference, I made coding changes to channels 20,21,23,24 - also tried 26 and 27 trying to get rear fog to work.

Appreciate any input!

-Rich

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

TastyPancakes

Ready to race!
Subbed

Interested to see whats going on considering i got my 7.5 tails in the mail today. I bought them from USP and they came with the USP harness but I will still have to use the OBD11 to long code them.

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Symptoms after coding:

1. - no brake lights on tails (high mount brake light works fine)

2. - right turn signal blinks like a standard LED

3. - no fog light functionality;

4. For reference, I made coding changes to channels 20,21,23,24 - also tried 26 and 27 trying to get rear fog to work.

Hey Rich,

1. Channel 21 should be Brake light channel in your coding and is shared between left and right tail. Please check if Pin1 of Outer left adapter to vehicle wiring is properly set.

2. Can you run a continuity check between the two plugs to new inner tails Pin1 to Pin1? Sounds like Channel 20 does not arrive on the right side lights on each Pin1. Please follow/check the wires for proper set on each new plug Pin1.

3./4. You didn't mentioned Channel 28 in your coding changes. Try the recommended fog light coding changes to Channel 28 (old Reverse left)

Last edited:

rmarin2

Hey Rich,

1. Channel 21 should be Brake light channel in your coding and is shared between left and right tail. Please check if Pin1 of Outer left adapter to vehicle wiring is properly set.

2. Can you run a continuity check between the two plugs to new inner tails Pin1 to Pin1? Sounds like Channel 20 does not arrive on the right side lights on each Pin1. Please follow/check the wires for proper set on each new plug Pin1.

3./4. You didn't mentioned Channel 28 in your coding changes. Try the recommended fog light coding changes to Channel 28 (old Reverse left)
I started going back to verifying if it's a possible withing issue... I'll double check based on your suggestions.

Thanks for your input.... Will let you know what I find!!

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
ZERO815 has a good point. The new wiring harness could have a loose pin or one of your car's connectors could have a loose pin. Look at the back of each connector to make sure one didn't get pushed out when you installed the new harness.

If the pins are in the proper positions and continuity check out, make sure the pins are in the correct holes. And did you try putting the OEM headlight switch back in to verify the new one is good? If everything checks out, call DAP.

rmarin2

So first off let me say thanks so much to everyone for adding their input to my issue!

So i still have some detective work to do but traced half the problem to improper pin seating at the 2pin connector that is supplied with the DAP harness.

I reseated and now both turn signals flash in dynamic style. The brake light now works, but only on the driver side, not passenger side.

Fog light still not functional.

Left for me to test:
- check all the pin connectors to make sure they are seated
- do continuity test (damn battery on multimeter died and just haven't had a chance to replace it and continue testing)

Also, big thanks to Paul at DAP for helping me out this far.

I created a Google album that shows my issues as well as coding:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/VUACGfUFbVCPidkH8

rmarin2

Well here is an update.... Traced my non functioning pass brake light to it's connector - seems when I jiggle the connector, light works... All connections seem tight so the connector on the housing itself is somewhat loose.

Going to try and secure it better for a more solid connection.

Last issue to resolve is fog light. Have it wired properly as per DAP and have an the new light switch with fog option from ECS (genuine VW part).

When I pull the switch out, the fog light indicator on the dial doesn't illuminate. Coding issue?

Tried coding channel 26, 27, and Aussenlicht_uebergreifend - no luck

rmarin2

**** SOLVED ****

Well, traced my rear fog light issue to my apparent inability to read properly.

I coded the incorrect LDS_MIT in AUSSENLICHT_UEBERGREIFEND

Question: Notice the rear flog light "icon" on the light switch itself does not illuminate; the same way the front fog light and headlight "icon" do.

Any thoughts on that??