GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Daks' GTI

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
Here is my Stanley kit. Do I need them stubbier than they are in the upper right hand? View attachment 243368

those are torx bits on the top right not triple square. They're not the same but are interchangeable to a degree, you just need to be more careful if you're using a torx. Definitely wouldn't be using power tools without a triple square.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
No power tools - just a positive attitude.
Just remember that torx bits have 6 points and triple squares have 12. Could a torx bit work in a pinch? Sure, but you're risking stripping the bolt. If it wouldn't break the bank I'd recommend getting a set of triple squares.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Just remember that torx bits have 6 points and triple squares have 12. Could a torx bit work in a pinch? Sure, but you're risking stripping the bolt. If it wouldn't break the bank I'd recommend getting a set of triple squares.
Will do and thank you

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
What @dtfd said. You need a set of triple squares, not just torx. Non-stubby ones are fine for just about everything except one bolt, the one on the coolant return line on the back of the turbo. At least I think it's the coolant return line. It's wedged between the back of the turbo and the firewall, so you don't have much room to work with.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
You can run the is38 Cobb map and be fine while you wait with that turbo… everyone like to be alarmist about that but you’ll be fine as long as you not driving like a psycho and keep the stock sensors on.

I drove my car last year for 2 weeks with my is38 hybrid on the stock is20 tune and DP when it was smog time and I’m about to do it again in the next few weeks 😂

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
You can run the is38 Cobb map and be fine while you wait with that turbo… everyone like to be alarmist about that but you’ll be fine as long as you not driving like a psycho and keep the stock sensors on.

I drove my cab last year for 2 weeks with my is38 hybrid on the stock is20 tune and DP when it was smog time and I’m about to do it again in the next few weeks 😂
Even with HPFP?

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I actually ran my hybrid with a hpfp and jb4 only for the first month till I maxed out what the jb4 could do for turbo.

Pretty sure Diggs also ran a hybrid with just jb4 and hpfp. It’s save and will work just not utilizing any of the turbos potential.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch

I drove my car last year for 2 weeks with my is38 hybrid on the stock is20 tune and DP when it was smog time and I’m about to do it again in the next few weeks 😂
will the readiness sensors not clear otherwise? i never bother switching tunes when getting smogged

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
will the readiness sensors not clear otherwise? i never bother switching tunes when getting smogged
Last year I was out of time to try different ways so I just went straight to the stock tune.

This time I’ll try with the tube left on.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Last year I was out of time to try different ways so I just went straight to the stock tune.

This time I’ll try with the tube left on.
i assume you have an o2 spacer, as long as there's no CEL codes and the sensors show ready you should be good to go

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Wow, 7.5's take 200 miles to set? My car is usually ready around 50miles, and I noticed the CEL codes do pop up later but luckily its always lasted long enough for me to get it smogged lol

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Today I drilled out the factory transmission mount. Now just waiting for good weather.

IMG_20220323_145003.jpg