GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Crack in sunroof bezel/roof trim?

amsr

Ready to race!
I think water gets under the trim and the freezes and over time it cracks. Or maybe from pothole impact or that crazy wheel hop/bang sound. IDK its a bad design. Does someone make a carbon bezel/trim?

Stanislao

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Gti 2018
I think water gets under the trim and the freezes and over time it cracks. Or maybe from pothole impact or that crazy wheel hop/bang sound. IDK its a bad design. Does someone make a carbon bezel/trim?
Nope no one does. It's changing the bezel is time consuming Or labor intensive. I went to the dealer in my country and quoted for the part number. Doing exchange rate it's like 1790 usd.
I've been playing to make a mold and do a cap. But really been lazy and there is too much things that can go wrong. Did a silicone mold didn't work, think of doing a wax mold but been lazy lol.

My idea is doing a 2 layer cap like this. If I had a spare bezel would send it to a fiberglass shop and do a mold. Here it's cheap.

Stanislao

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Gti 2018
if anyone is interested to see how its glued. here are some pictures.
i think its not needed to remove the windscreen
1709659227436.png

1709659268006.png

"It’s plastic and it’s easy enough to remove by competent windscreen fitters and the new one just bonds down using the same sealant used to bond in a windscreen.
It is a pretty easy job really, it’s just a plastic surround.
I have pics of one removed. Guys car was parked near someone that was welding and he got spot welds all over his car. Entire repaint and every glass and sunroof replaced. "
https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/492468-glass-roof-cracked/

drew1765

Car(s)
Golf & 7 2019 5k mil
I have the 2017 GTI SE also. Mine is cracked on both sides.. I'm not sure the cause, but mine was leaking prior to it cracking. I just assumed that the leaking is what caused it. This issue is so wide spread, it's obnoxious that VW hasn't had a recall to address this issue.
I have a 2019 golf with 5000 miles and roof cracked this week. We bought it from main dealer will it be covered by vw

drew1765

Car(s)
Golf & 7 2019 5k mil
The bezel trim is glued to the sunroof frame.
It's supposed to be flexible without any problems.
The problem comes when there is to much sun and cold exposure making the plasti weak and brittle.

A good solution would be a ppf film on the trim or if it's new a carbon layer before install.

The best solution would be doing a carbon fiber or fiber glass part.

The sunroof frame crack is due tu torsion
our car doesn't do any miles really and i washed it a couple of weeks ago and wasn't cracked . its not moved off the drive and only done 5000 miles from new 2019 golf R and come to wash it today and cracked .
dealer visit tomorrow

Stanislao

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Gti 2018
our car doesn't do any miles really and i washed it a couple of weeks ago and wasn't cracked . its not moved off the drive and only done 5000 miles from new 2019 golf R and come to wash it today and cracked .
dealer visit tomorrow
Hope dealer can sort it out. I know that in many European countries warranty cover sunroof problems.

johng.wissig

Ready to race!
I've a 2015, I noticed a crack after a collision but couldn't proove it. Anyway as long as the drains are working for sunroof it's not a problem.

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
dealer visit tomorrow
Let us know how it goes at the dealer; I've got a 2019 w/ ~25k miles and has just developed a corner crack. Still under warranty so hoping it's something VW would cover.

drew1765

Car(s)
Golf & 7 2019 5k mil
Let us know how it goes at the dealer; I've got a 2019 w/ ~25k miles and has just developed a corner crack. Still under warranty so hoping it's something VW would cover.
hi . currently chatting to VW regarding the roof being covered on warrantee . that said they have said VW are willing to cover part payment for spares . and looking to help with the replacement cost . im still not happy but awaiting the final decision then ill dig deeper . i know VW have a bulletin regarding this issue and that the glue wasn't fitted correctly to begin with and replace if they come into the dealer . im now looking for a copy of the Bulletin .
Dont see why after buying from a dealer with 5000 miles and 3 months ago i should be footing the bill

ChristopherNeil

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
hi . currently chatting to VW regarding the roof being covered on warrantee . that said they have said VW are willing to cover part payment for spares . and looking to help with the replacement cost . im still not happy but awaiting the final decision then ill dig deeper . i know VW have a bulletin regarding this issue and that the glue wasn't fitted correctly to begin with and replace if they come into the dealer . im now looking for a copy of the Bulletin .
Dont see why after buying from a dealer with 5000 miles and 3 months ago i should be footing the bill
It's the age of the vehicle. I have fading happening, and they're offering 50% of the cost. I know the owner of my dealership as a good friend, so I'm confident he's being transparent, given things he's told me in the past about how VW corporate works. I've just not addressed mine yet because it's not a priority - but at least I know that when the time comes, I'm not footing a huge bill.