GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Crack in sunroof bezel/roof trim?

amsr

Ready to race!
It appears my 2017 VW GTI SE has a crack in the trim piece that surrounds the sunroof. Its not inside the water channel but outside on the roof. I guess its a plastic piece? Anyways, is this a concern for a leak? Is this the same as the recall/TSB for the sunroof leak/crack?

Attachments

• D6F0131E-3845-4E23-9941-3DAAC8E733DA.jpeg
    D6F0131E-3845-4E23-9941-3DAAC8E733DA.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 336

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Unfortunately this is common. My 2015 had the clear coat peeling like hell off the sunroof, other people have them crack. My 2019 shows no signs of this yet, but it also only has 16k on the odo.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Hmm. Is this a concern for water intrusion or just cosmetic?
I havent had the cracking issue, but from what I have read it can be either depending on how big the crack is. In the meantime most people just silicone it.

amsr

Ready to race!
Has anyone had luck with a VW "drive easy" extended warranty covering this?

edit: apparently it excludes “trim” which this is classified as.

Has anyone had luck with VWoA covering this out of warranty? Is there a DIY online somewhere on how to seal the crack?

Last edited:

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI
There is no easy way of getting this covered out of warranty. As for filling the crack just silicone it, there is no “diy” on that since it’s quick and dirty. To replace the whole piece is pretty time consuming so it’s gonna cost a pretty penny to get a shop to do

amsr

Ready to race!
The SA at my VW dealer said a crack in the sunroof trim is not a risk for a leak because the drain channels that drain the sunroof are under the trim so they'd catch any water that might get into the crack. Is this true in people's experience?

I just finished getting this car back from the shop to repair a leak into the trunk. :oops:

Last edited:

merrilltom

Car(s)
2017 Golf GTI
The SA at my VW dealer said a crack in the sunroof trim is not a risk for a leak because the drain channels that drain the sunroof are under the trim so they'd catch any water that might get into the crack. Is this true in people's experience?

I just finished getting this car back from the shop to repair a leak into the trunk. :oops:
I couldn't tell you whether or not that's accurate, however, I can tell you that the dealerships try hard to distance themselves from this issue. I took mine back to the dealership, they kept it for a week, they did nothing to it other than refer me to leak pro.

merrilltom

Car(s)
2017 Golf GTI
Unfortunately this is common. My 2015 had the clear coat peeling like hell off the sunroof, other people have them crack. My 2019 shows no signs of this yet, but it also only has 16k on the odo.
You're right. My 2017 has cracked on the driver side and the passengers side.

amsr

Ready to race!
I got mine fixed at a body shop who subbed it to a glass shop. So far it’s not leaking although it’s not lined up 100% as well as the original. The glass shop has been mum on whether they can do better. Seems like this is a hard repair to get perfect? I called all over town and this was the only place that had any experience with these.

I find it beyond annoying that I’m having to repair a roof panel on a 4 year old car that’s never been in an accident. They moved away from this design on the MK8 cars. It’s just a piece in front of the sunroof, no side plastic. Maybe it will hold up better?

AdamSheikh

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI | 24 RS 3
Mine has been cracked for a few years now - don't be surprised to see the crack grow. That said, its purely cosmetic and doesn't interfere with the sunroof drains at all. The repair is pretty invasive, so I've opted to just leave mine as is.

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Bought my daughter's 2015 with two cracks across the sunroof trim either side. Was evidence of slight leaks in the either side cabin but that was due to the clogged drains (now fixed) not the cracks. The clear coat and finish on the sunroof trim looks tatty as well. Thinking of simply just wrapping the trim panel with matte black or carbon wrap, hopefully will cover it all up and look decent/hold up for a while.

amsr

Ready to race!
So here we are about a year later and its cracked again. Passenger front corner area. I had it fixed last year by them replacing the panel. Its part: 5G6877059.

Its unclear to me why this happened at 5 years and then again at 6 years.

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
I think it's just poor design. Far too many people with these cracks in the plastic surround (and/or the cracks in the inner trim). I'd wager that eventually, all of them will crack. My daughters car has spent the entirety of its 145k miles in Florida with the sun beating down on it, probably has had an impact on making the plastic brittle and why it looks tatty. When I get round to it I think I will have a play with some silicone caulk then try to wrap it.