GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Crack in sunroof bezel/roof trim?

merrilltom

Car(s)
2017 Golf GTI
It appears my 2017 VW GTI SE has a crack in the trim piece that surrounds the sunroof. Its not inside the water channel but outside on the roof. I guess its a plastic piece? Anyways, is this a concern for a leak? Is this the same as the recall/TSB for the sunroof leak/crack?
I have the 2017 GTI SE also. Mine is cracked on both sides.. I'm not sure the cause, but mine was leaking prior to it cracking. I just assumed that the leaking is what caused it. This issue is so wide spread, it's obnoxious that VW hasn't had a recall to address this issue.

merrilltom

Car(s)
2017 Golf GTI
I have the 2017 GTI SE also. Mine is cracked on both sides.. I'm not sure the cause, but mine was leaking prior to it cracking. I just assumed that the leaking is what caused it. This issue is so wide spread, it's obnoxious that VW hasn't had a recall to address this issue.
Does anyone know if this is still a problem with current (MK8) GTI/R cars?
I would certainly hope that they've found a way to prevent it from happening. I'd never buy another VW with a sunroof. I'll tell you what my experience has been, since my car isn't in warranty, the Volkswagen dealerships I've taken my car to don't even want to fix it if I pay for it.

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
I think the plastic and design they used just isn't up to the job. I think there's a class action going? https://www.classaction.org/news/an...roof-defect-in-newer-audi-volkswagen-vehicles. Not sure it'll cover the external trim cracks mind you....more focused on leaks.

Last edited:

amsr

Ready to race!
Yeah I’m not sure. I’ve had multiple cars with sunroofs that were not this design. They were the more traditional sunroof design. A Chrysler, two BMWs, a Honda, and an earlier model VW. I never had any issues with trim cracking or leaking. And I kept several those cars for 8 to 10 years. We have an Audi Q5 that has a panoramic sunroof and although it squeaks over bumps once in a blue moon it has never cracked or leaked. I think this is just a VW issue with their MQB design.

My car also had a leak in the trunk via the pressure release valve. That is also something I haven’t had on other cars. The rear bumper was hit in a parking lot at one point causing minor damage. However I live in a relatively densely populated area and minor damage to bumpers is common. I’ve never had a trunk leak as a result. This issue is also common enough that I think that maybe those vents are just not a good design or not sealed well from the factory.

Last edited:

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
So we had our first heavy downpour for quite a long time this afternoon... and my daughter's car had a wet drivers side headliner. Seems since I cleared the drains out last year, a crack has developed in the inner trim piece. I've fixed it with duck tape for now until I can pick up a proper patch kit from vw.

Stanislao

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Gti 2018
Same happen to me I was told by the dealer is purely cosmetic because the trim is just glued to the roof and the
water channels pass each side.
You don't need to remove the headliner to remove the trim according to the repair manual. https://www.vwgolf.org/removing_and_installing_front_trim_for_sliding_sunroof-625.html

But I think it's a desing fault and it would crack again and the trim is around $800
I think a cheap solution is if someone make something like this window trim.

Or media carbon fiber skinning the piece. It would look nice.

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG

claymoore73

Car(s)
2015 VW GTI Autobahn
I have a 2015 GTI MK7 and bought it new. The sunroof bezel cracked the first time in 2019 and now again in 2023. In 2019 the dealer wouldn't even look at it. Then it went to a repair facility that said they could do it and three weeks later after tearing out the headliner had us come to pick it up with pieces everywhere. They said they couldn't figure it out. Finally had to take it to some luxury car collision center that works on lambos and Bentleys. They fixed it and was fine for another 4 years. They told us they had to take out the sunroof, the seats, the headliner, and the windshield. I think someone has posted the VW repair guide on this and I'm calling BS on all this disassembly of the car for a plastic panel that is glued in. I found another repair guide that has the exact adhesive and primer you need. After you get the plastic panel out and clean up the old adhesive you have to use this activater then lay down the new adhesive. The tricky part is you have 10 mins of working time to fit the panel in place and line it up with the sunroof glass. It does say in the repair guide to have the sunroof closed so the glass is there to line up with it. Now in the repair guide what has me baffled is the wire cutters they want you to use. That just seems insane. I could see if this was glass and you are reusing it. It's cheap plastic and garbage. So I plan to cut down each side carefully and slowly with a Dremel to get the plastic out around the adhesive bead and then figure out a way to cut the bead of adhesive out. Then attempt to dry-fit the panel and see how it goes. I have found all the adhesives, primer, and activater online. Yes looks like a pain to do and will take some time. I'm not paying another $4k for this shop to replace this plastic. I think they are full of crap and know they are the only place that will actually do it. I have taken this thing everywhere. All I hear is no we won't fix that. Even the dealer won't even look at it. It is just insane. I do like this car besides this stupid plastic panel. It runs like a scalded rat. It is my wife's car. Worse case I see happening is I get the panel in and it flies off the car (I don't think that will happen if I follow the steps). If it flies off I'll buy one more panel and halfway glue it in. Then drive to the dealer slowly and buy her the MK8 Golf R she wants with no sunroof. Trade this in with the nice new shiny plastic panel installed.

I don't plan on doing this repair for a few months. Too hot in Florida right now to do this. I'll have to post some more photos when I get around to it. It's crazy that some other insane person like myself hasn't posted a video on this. Here are some photos of what the panel looks like. Cheap plastic. I had originally thought it was glass. Stupid me!

Here is the guide I found that is a little different with the exact part numbers for the chemicals/adhesive needed:

https://www.seatia.com/secon-881.html

gti.jpg
s-l16-1.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1603.jpg

Stanislao

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Gti 2018
I have a 2015 GTI MK7 and bought it new. The sunroof bezel cracked the first time in 2019 and now again in 2023. In 2019 the dealer wouldn't even look at it. Then it went to a repair facility that said they could do it and three weeks later after tearing out the headliner had us come to pick it up with pieces everywhere. They said they couldn't figure it out. Finally had to take it to some luxury car collision center that works on lambos and Bentleys. They fixed it and was fine for another 4 years. They told us they had to take out the sunroof, the seats, the headliner, and the windshield. I think someone has posted the VW repair guide on this and I'm calling BS on all this disassembly of the car for a plastic panel that is glued in. I found another repair guide that has the exact adhesive and primer you need. After you get the plastic panel out and clean up the old adhesive you have to use this activater then lay down the new adhesive. The tricky part is you have 10 mins of working time to fit the panel in place and line it up with the sunroof glass. It does say in the repair guide to have the sunroof closed so the glass is there to line up with it. Now in the repair guide what has me baffled is the wire cutters they want you to use. That just seems insane. I could see if this was glass and you are reusing it. It's cheap plastic and garbage. So I plan to cut down each side carefully and slowly with a Dremel to get the plastic out around the adhesive bead and then figure out a way to cut the bead of adhesive out. Then attempt to dry-fit the panel and see how it goes. I have found all the adhesives, primer, and activater online. Yes looks like a pain to do and will take some time. I'm not paying another $4k for this shop to replace this plastic. I think they are full of crap and know they are the only place that will actually do it. I have taken this thing everywhere. All I hear is no we won't fix that. Even the dealer won't even look at it. It is just insane. I do like this car besides this stupid plastic panel. It runs like a scalded rat. It is my wife's car. Worse case I see happening is I get the panel in and it flies off the car (I don't think that will happen if I follow the steps). If it flies off I'll buy one more panel and halfway glue it in. Then drive to the dealer slowly and buy her the MK8 Golf R she wants with no sunroof. Trade this in with the nice new shiny plastic panel installed.

I don't plan on doing this repair for a few months. Too hot in Florida right now to do this. I'll have to post some more photos when I get around to it. It's crazy that some other insane person like myself hasn't posted a video on this. Here are some photos of what the panel looks like. Cheap plastic. I had originally thought it was glass. Stupid me!

Here is the guide I found that is a little different with the exact part numbers for the chemicals/adhesive needed:

https://www.seatia.com/secon-881.html

View attachment 286180View attachment 286181View attachment 286182View attachment 286183
Hey thanks for sharing the info.
Mine is cracked too. I'm planning to do a fiberglass mold to make a carbon fiber cover. It's kinda hard without removing the trim.
Something like this

I strongly suggest to carbon skinning that new plastic part. And reinforce with carbon inside with epoxy resin so it wouldn't crack again and it would look cool.

Coachdrives

Passed Driver's Ed
I've had many vehicles with sunroofs and zero cracks or leaks. Honestly, I've never had a car with such low miles have so many issues and no way I keep this car outside of warranty. I was warned by multiple knowledgeable people who work on cars don't buy this car but I always wanted a GTI. I enjoy driving it but I don't have the patience and I fear the future with increased mileage and time.

amsr

Ready to race!
There is a repair procedure for removing and installing this panel in ERWIN. If it’s just this external panel that needs to be replaced it doesn’t require the removal of the actual sunroof or headliner. If it’s the sunroof frame itself that’s cracked it might. My 2017 is going in for the second time since I bought it new to have this sunroof trim replaced. There is only one glass shop in my entire metro area that has experience with this and would take the job. It’s a bad sunroof design for a variety of reasons.

The plastic piece itself is like $600 and I am charged about $250 to install it. Some dealers might mark up the part. I’ve seen it listed as high as $900. All in it cost me about $1000 to have it replaced.

I asked VW to good will the repair and initially they seemed amenable and then they weren’t. YMMV.

Last edited:

claymoore73

Car(s)
2015 VW GTI Autobahn
There is a repair procedure for removing and installing this panel in ERWIN. If it’s just this external panel that needs to be replaced it doesn’t require the removal of the actual sunroof or headliner. If it’s the sunroof frame itself that’s cracked it might. My 2017 is going in for the second time since I bought it new to have this sunroof trim replaced. There is only one glass shop in my entire metro area that has experience with this and would take the job. It’s a bad sunroof design for a variety of reasons.

The plastic piece itself is like $600 and I am charged about $250 to install it. Some dealers might mark up the part. I’ve seen it listed as high as $900. All in it cost me about $1000 to have it replaced.

I asked VW to good will the repair and initially they seemed amenable and then they weren’t. YMMV.
This is exact;y why I am doing it myself. I have not had any luck finding anyone that knows how to do it or willing to try. I would pay the $1k to have it fixed. The only place that I have found willing to touch it wants $4K and thats what it cost the first time. I think they are full of crap about what they did to fix it. Removed seats, Sunroof, headliner, and windshield. The VW dealers around here don;t even know how to do it and VW certified facilities. I'll get around to it sometime this fall or spring. Not casuing issues just ugly.

ChristopherNeil

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
This is exact;y why I am doing it myself. I have not had any luck finding anyone that knows how to do it or willing to try. I would pay the $1k to have it fixed. The only place that I have found willing to touch it wants $4K and thats what it cost the first time. I think they are full of crap about what they did to fix it. Removed seats, Sunroof, headliner, and windshield. The VW dealers around here don;t even know how to do it and VW certified facilities. I'll get around to it sometime this fall or spring. Not casuing issues just ugly.
My local dealer said it's roughly 12 or 1300 to replace it and vwoa will cover half of it. The only thing I'm curious about is if the windshield needs to come out.

According to the glass shop who did my windshield (the same place my dealership uses), they said it does and it may be worth waiting until my next windshield to do the roof panel.