GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Consolidated Macan Brembo upgrade thread (READ FIRST POST)

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

nono0044

Drag Racing Champion
Just a quick +1 for this. My OE Brembo seals melted after 7 track days last year. These high temp ones will save you. Plus, the guys that sell them (Ohio Performance Solutions) are just a group of 4 track addicted buddies that decided to start this little company to help them and other addicts put high quality brake seals on their cars at a REAL GOOD price.

I think it comes out to around $80 bucks for enough to cover all 8 pistons

I'll pick some up in the next couple of weeks and report back. Just any FYI to those in the thread, Macan calipers use 42mm pistons all the way around.

Here's the link to the 42mm ones. I'm probably going to grab a set at the end of this summer. Might as well toast the stock boots first :p:
https://www.ohioperformancesolution...individual-pressure-seal-high-temp-dust-boots
Update: Unfortunately they don't fit, see here: https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...can-brembo-upgrade-thread.371028/post-7436661

Last edited:

Dubstro

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 2dr GTI 6MT
Thanks! Hope to see finished product.

All the great info/testing in this thread is very much appreciated! I went with the Macan calipers, MK6R rotors and akebono Q5 pads. Just waiting to hear back on lines.

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
Full info regarding that group buy I mentioned. We're finding out if there's further discounting after the 5 person minimum threshold.

If you're looking to use the Macan calipers to track, these would be a great option.

What is the regular price on these? I haven't heard anyone use these on this forum or VWVortex but have seen these mentioned on the VWROC forums.

nono0044

Drag Racing Champion
What is the regular price on these? I haven't heard anyone use these on this forum or VWVortex but have seen these mentioned on the VWROC forums.

Regular price per the site is $469.06 + whatever the shipping cost to you would be.

Makes sense as most users on VWROC are UK based and so is MTEC

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Thanks! Hope to see finished product.

All the great info/testing in this thread is very much appreciated! I went with the Macan calipers, MK6R rotors and akebono Q5 pads. Just waiting to hear back on lines.

There's some pics on first page, if that's what you mean, but you don't have to ask me twice to pimp my car.
20200202_133154.jpg
20191215_144706.jpg
20200202_133207.jpg
20200202_172836.jpg

Last edited:

Dubstro

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 2dr GTI 6MT
There's some pics on first page, if that's what you mean, but you don't have to ask me twice to pimp my car.

LOL, just meant I wanted to see Charlotte.:R's calipers DIY painted gloss black with decal. But, your powder coated red calipers look awesome. Don't see rse16's often but that's really nice combo with the white GTI. Are you stock ride height?

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Is there a parts list for us PP guys that includes everything needed for the swap?w I got the caliper part #s but what else is needed to buy at the dealer so that I can do the swap?

yirayira

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE
Just a quick +1 for this. My OE Brembo seals melted after 7 track days last year. These high temp ones will save you. Plus, the guys that sell them (Ohio Performance Solutions) are just a group of 4 track addicted buddies that decided to start this little company to help them and other addicts put high quality brake seals on their cars at a REAL GOOD price.

Great idea and I would recommend swapping to higher temp boots before any track work. I suspect leaving the oem seals will be fine but once the boots fail you should do a full rebuild.

From my experience with 986 Brembos even titanium shims only slowed down but did not stop the oe Centric dust boots from melting. (312mm standard rotors, race fluid, race compound pads, no heat shields, and RS3 deflectors) Towards the end I was having to rebuild after every track weekend. A rebuild is pretty straight forward after the first time but it's messy, time consuming, and the parts aren't free ?

Yes the Macan setup has a higher heat capacity but replacing just the boots now should save time and it is one less thing to go wrong at a track day ? I'll report back on my experiences with wear and tear in post #2

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Great idea and I would recommend swapping to higher temp boots before any track work. I suspect leaving the oem seals will be fine but once the boots fail you should do a full rebuild.

From my experience with 986 Brembos even titanium shims only slowed down but did not stop the oe Centric dust boots from melting. (312mm standard rotors, race fluid, race compound pads, no heat shields, and RS3 deflectors) Towards the end I was having to rebuild after every track weekend. A rebuild is pretty straight forward after the first time but it's messy, time consuming, and the parts aren't free ?

Yes the Macan setup has a higher heat capacity but replacing just the boots now should save time and it is one less thing to go wrong at a track day ? I'll report back on my experiences with wear and tear in post #2

I'm assume a non-PP car, correct? I did one track day in my 2018 S and xds absolutely cooked the brakes, seals, melted center caps, and probably took years of life off the bears due to heat. Did you have xds off or on? Makes a massive difference in non-PP cars if you didn't add a LSD.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
LOL, just meant I wanted to see Charlotte.:R's calipers DIY painted gloss black with decal. But, your powder coated red calipers look awesome. Don't see rse16's often but that's really nice combo with the white GTI. Are you stock ride height?

No, I'm on APR springs, Eurosport Camber kit and H&R 26mm rear sway. The car is fantastic on this setup, especially with all the OBD11 tweaks.

nono0044

Drag Racing Champion
Is there a parts list for us PP guys that includes everything needed for the swap?w I got the caliper part #s but what else is needed to buy at the dealer so that I can do the swap?

All on the first post. There's nothing you need from the dealer unless you plan on sourcing your pads and rotors from the dealer.

yirayira

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE
I'm assume a non-PP car, correct? I did one track day in my 2018 S and xds absolutely cooked the brakes, seals, melted center caps, and probably took years of life off the bears due to heat. Did you have xds off or on? Makes a massive difference in non-PP cars if you didn't add a LSD.
Non-performance package with an aftermarket torsen lsd from Mfactory. Both XDS+ and TC were fully off. XDS+, even on weak, was causing the front end to dig during high speed corners. Side note Cobb TC on sport with no XDS+ is my current track setup