GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Consolidated Macan Brembo upgrade thread (READ FIRST POST)

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
Remember when cross referencing was the first step?

1676063375583.gif

077luke1111

Car(s)
GOLF R
Just had the macan caliper installed on my 2018 Golf R. Didn't feel confident doing the installation myself as not done anything with brakes before so had a garage install them for me. I provided brake fuild for them to flush and bleed the system but this has not been done.

Took it for a drive yesterday and I noticed that the brake pedal is soft on the first press and then much firmer when pressed immediately after, I believe this is down to the trapped air in the brake system. So today I learnt how to bleed the brake system and did it myself! Noticed that the fuild looked dirty and had bubbles come out of the first caliper I did!

Just taken it back out for another drive and it is slightly better however still slightly soft at first then firm after so think there may be air still trapped as from reading this thread they sound a bit tricky to bleed so any tips on how to get all the air out would be appreciated! (RBF 600)

I've also read on here that there are some VCDS/OBD11 tweeks to do however I'm not sure which would be applicable to me as I don't very often track the car, however it is pushed very hard on the roads. I ideally would like the firm feeling of the pedal consistently with more manual control of the amount of braking force applied so any tips in regards to those would be highly appreciated!

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
Just had the macan caliper installed on my 2018 Golf R. Didn't feel confident doing the installation myself as not done anything with brakes before so had a garage install them for me. I provided brake fuild for them to flush and bleed the system but this has not been done.

Took it for a drive yesterday and I noticed that the brake pedal is soft on the first press and then much firmer when pressed immediately after, I believe this is down to the trapped air in the brake system. So today I learnt how to bleed the brake system and did it myself! Noticed that the fuild looked dirty and had bubbles come out of the first caliper I did!

Just taken it back out for another drive and it is slightly better however still slightly soft at first then firm after so think there may be air still trapped as from reading this thread they sound a bit tricky to bleed so any tips on how to get all the air out would be appreciated! (RBF 600)

I've also read on here that there are some VCDS/OBD11 tweeks to do however I'm not sure which would be applicable to me as I don't very often track the car, however it is pushed very hard on the roads. I ideally would like the firm feeling of the pedal consistently with more manual control of the amount of braking force applied so any tips in regards to those would be highly appreciated!

Solid first post.

is the squish in the pedal constant, or does it go away after more presses of the pedal?

Reactions: krs

077luke1111

Car(s)
GOLF R
Solid first post.

is the squish in the pedal constant, or does it go away after more presses of the pedal?
Cheers for the quick reply!

If I'm pressing the pedal repeatedly it gets much harder! If leave it for anymore than a few seconds it seems to go back to being soft again.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

If they installed them and didn't bleed them at all, there is a ton of air in the lines\calipers.

I wouldn't say bleeding them is "tricky", but it can benefit from being done multiple times.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

What lubricant did you use in the pistons seals, if any?

Also, so some abs panic stops. It'll get any air trapped in the abs system out.

Are you doing 30 psi bleed?

077luke1111

Car(s)
GOLF R
What lubricant did you use in the pistons seals, if any?

Also, so some abs panic stops. It'll get any air trapped in the abs system out.

Are you doing 30 psi bleed?
As the garage installed them I don't know what if any lubricant was used on the seals.

After my initial post I searched the post more and turned the hydrolic brake assistance off using OBD11 then took it for a drive and did engaged the ABS. I didn't feel much of a difference after this but imagine I will need to bleed again to notice the difference?

I was bleeding them at 30psi but I am not 100% certain I did the order correctly. As I'm based in the UK I have RHD and the manual I have says for RHD start with the front right brake.

I think I'm going to try and bleed them again when I get time at the start of next week and tap the caliper with a spanner at the same time as I've read somewhere that helps work the air out?

Since I bleed them it's slightly better but still not quite right.

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
As the garage installed them I don't know what if any lubricant was used on the seals.

After my initial post I searched the post more and turned the hydrolic brake assistance off using OBD11 then took it for a drive and did engaged the ABS. I didn't feel much of a difference after this but imagine I will need to bleed again to notice the difference?

I was bleeding them at 30psi but I am not 100% certain I did the order correctly. As I'm based in the UK I have RHD and the manual I have says for RHD start with the front right brake.

I think I'm going to try and bleed them again when I get time at the start of next week and tap the caliper with a spanner at the same time as I've read somewhere that helps work the air out?

Not sure if you’ve tried this - tapping a small rubber mallet has dislodged bubbles for me before.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

These are high retraction calipers. I say in the first post, don't bother doing this mod if you aren't going to use RRG, or another high quality lube, on the pistons and seals.

All the information is in the first post on how to avoid the soft pedal. You may be able to minimize the soft initial feel with good bleeding, but without luring the seals, there's only so much you can do. It's why I made it red and made it the very first paragraph.

Screenshot_20230211_205805_Chrome.jpg

Brian_

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 R
Just as an additional data point, I've been using Castrol SRF with these calipers for about 8 months daily driving with multiple HPDE and Auto-X days without issue. Still using factory seals and did use RRG on the pistons.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Just as an additional data point, I've been using Castrol SRF with these calipers for about 8 months daily driving with multiple HPDE and Auto-X days without issue. Still using factory seals and did use RRG on the pistons.
What did you use to lubricate the seals when inserting the pistons?

Good to hear about the SRF. Someone early on reported issues with the stock seals and SRF.

I've used both RBF600 and 660 without issue.

Brian_

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 R
What did you use to lubricate the seals when inserting the pistons?

Good to hear about the SRF. Someone early on reported issues with the stock seals and SRF.

I've used both RBF600 and 660 without issue.
Just used a thin coat of RRG for everything when re-assembling. Really only still using SRF since I purchased through FCP Euro a couple years back with their lifetime guarantee. Once the return shipping and refund deal becomes too much of a hassle I'll definitely be switching to something like RBF600.