GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Consolidated Macan Brembo upgrade thread (READ FIRST POST)

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
did you do all the changes mentioned on the 1st page or only some? I wasnt sure what RRG did so ended up leaving everything as how they came aside the dustboots that fit

do you think its just a matter of getting use to how the pedal feels?
All. I've reverted them all back to stock.

No, it isn't. You need to grease the pistons with RRG.

TheMuffinMan

Go Kart Newbie
Went to Fastivus and had a blast, got home and noticed I cracked both front rotors.

I'm running 345mm MK6 R StopTech Cryo-treated ones and assumed they would survive, also have the RS3 brake ducts installed.

Anyone have recommendations to help with the cooling? I'm going to reach out to StopTech to see if there's any chance at a warranty/discount since I don't think a single track day should have caused them to crack

Brian_

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 R
Went to Fastivus and had a blast, got home and noticed I cracked both front rotors.

I'm running 345mm MK6 R StopTech Cryo-treated ones and assumed they would survive, also have the RS3 brake ducts installed.

Anyone have recommendations to help with the cooling? I'm going to reach out to StopTech to see if there's any chance at a warranty/discount since I don't think a single track day should have caused them to crack
Still running full heat shields or have you trimmed them down or vented them already?

Looks like at least one vendor is working to try and get a backing plate to the market to help with ducting: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vwracers/permalink/3079047145718944/

gsw4motion

Car(s)
19 GTI S 6MT
Thanks for the reply first off. Don't think we're talking the same bolts or we have different Macan Brembos. I'm talking about the 4x bolts that connect both halves of the caliper itself and not back to the car. Those 4x bolts are external Torx and would snap at that high of torque. I know the main caliper hanger bolts (2x) are 200NM and re-usuable.
I'm not sure if you found the answer yet when I rebuilt mine after power coating Alldata specified around 75ft-lbs. It was for this specific Porsche Caliper as well. I also used red thread locker. Hope this helps.

chi11z

Car(s)
MK7.5 GSW 4Motion
Still running full heat shields or have you trimmed them down or vented them already?

Looks like at least one vendor is working to try and get a backing plate to the market to help with ducting: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vwracers/permalink/3079047145718944/

I'm not sure I've seen them brought up before, but I came across these kits a few weeks ago while browsing:

Speed Engineering DE Brake Cooling Inlet
Speed Engineering DE GTI Clubsport Cooling Inlet Kit

I just requested to be added to the FB group you posted so I can't see the post you're referencing currently, but based on the description these kits or the individuals pieces might be close to what they are looking for?

bobivy1234

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW Golf GTI
I'm not sure I've seen them brought up before, but I came across these kits a few weeks ago while browsing:

Speed Engineering DE Brake Cooling Inlet
Speed Engineering DE GTI Clubsport Cooling Inlet Kit

I just requested to be added to the FB group you posted so I can't see the post you're referencing currently, but based on the description these kits or the individuals pieces might be close to what they are looking for?
CJM is the one that is piloting a similar brake ducting system where the intake tube is under the car attached to the control arm basically where the RS3 deflectors typically sit. Unfortunately, there is no room to feed air through the fog lights on a GTI that I was always thinking about. I'm just glad there are actual options being developed and never thought about just extending what the RS3 deflectors are doing.

Those Speed Engineering kits I've run across as well that seems to be the same stuff, curious if anyone's bought those yet in the US. Seems like the Clubsport for that second one is pushing through the fog light area which is cool (manual only in that kit, had to translate).

Edit: Jumped the gun, bought the Speed Engineering kit (first link) so I'll review it when it comes in, brake heat has always been a big problem on my tracked car and I've tried a bit of everything without body modifications.

Last edited:

chi11z

Car(s)
MK7.5 GSW 4Motion
CJM is the one that is piloting a similar brake ducting system where the intake tube is under the car attached to the control arm basically where the RS3 deflectors typically sit. Unfortunately, there is no room to feed air through the fog lights on a GTI that I was always thinking about. I'm just glad there are actual options being developed and never thought about just extending what the RS3 deflectors are doing.

Those Speed Engineering kits I've run across as well that seems to be the same stuff, curious if anyone's bought those yet in the US. Seems like the Clubsport for that second one is pushing through the fog light area which is cool (manual only in that kit, had to translate).

Edit: Jumped the gun, bought the Speed Engineering kit (first link) so I'll review it when it comes in, brake heat has always been a big problem on my tracked car and I've tried a bit of everything without body modifications.

Intrigued to hear the results. Maybe a different thread will be warranted for that post as to not clog up here. I have a MK7.5 GSW with no fog lights so I'd considered the Clubsport setup and seeing if I could custom duct from the fog light blank on my front bumper to the Speed Engineering piece. The videos they have below give a better insight on how the whole setup goes together, and helped me visualize everything more clearly.

SPEED - Brake Cooling VW Golf 7 Clubsport Manual

SPEED - Brake Cooling Intake VW Golf 7 Clubsport Manual

scrllock

Autocross Champion
How bad are the cracks?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

Pics of the rotors?

TheMuffinMan

Go Kart Newbie

TheMuffinMan

Go Kart Newbie
Pics of the rotors?
How bad are the cracks?

1666807019862.png

1666807057515.png

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Still have the full heat shields on the car - is recommendation to snip them up? Or go to those vented like RS3 ones?
Anything but full heat shields.

We're these blanks, slotted, drilled?

Me: Don't say drilled, don't say drilled, don't say drilled.

TheMuffinMan

Go Kart Newbie
That was a defective rotor and now a giant paper weight. JFC, that isn't your typical stress cracks. That's a straight up failure.

Both fronts failed identically, the rears are still good.

*edit* To add, these are StopTech Cryo-Treated 345mm (MK6 R) ones. They're definitely trashed.