GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Consolidated Macan Brembo upgrade thread (READ FIRST POST)

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
The inside of the rotor to the caliper looks to be about 60mm? The outside of the caliper a bit more, maybe 65mm? Hard to get a good measure.
I only have an SAE tape measure with me, so you'll have to convert to metric. Here are some pictures of the measurements at different spots on the spokes. PP caliper for reference.

Attachments

• IMG_20210722_194501.jpg
    IMG_20210722_194501.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 75
  • IMG_20210722_194545.jpg
    IMG_20210722_194545.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 72
  • IMG_20210722_194629.jpg
    IMG_20210722_194629.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 74

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I only have an SAE tape measure with me, so you'll have to convert to metric. Here are some pictures of the measurements at different spots on the spokes. PP caliper for reference.

Thanks. Looks like it might be close, but should fit. 60mm is 2.36", so the inside looks like it will be tight. But like I thought, if anything I can use my 5mm spacer.

projectTVMK7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Audi A3
Took me over two weeks to get this project done, but I just wanted to share my experience doing this brake upgrade (my first time ever doing a big brake upgrade):

1. High temp rattle can paint (primer + base + clear + ceramic) came out not half bad, but it's soft as cookie dough and paper thin. I've already nicked the paint by the bleeder valves :mad:

2. Make sure to bleed the system in the correct order (LF -> RF -> LR -> RR), outer bleeder valve -> inner bleeder vavle, and pressurize your power bleeder up to approx. 30psi if you are using one. I first bled the system like every other car starting with the brake caliper farthest from the MC and only used about 20 psi in my power bleeder. That first drive was not confidence inspiring. After correctly bleeding the system and using the correct amount of PSI in my power bleeder, the brakes feel awesome! @GTIfan99 Can you add this brake bleed procedure as note in the OP? It would be very helpful for noobs like myself.

3. Use Centric 105-16630 pads for those of us that have a brake wear sensor. These are great daily driver pads. @GTIfan99 Can you add this brake pad part # the OP as well? It took me a while to hunt these down.

4. If you are using stainless steel lines from Techna-Fit, make sure to screw in the caliper side first because you have to rotate the entire line as you screw it in.

5. I hammered the edges of my stock brake dust shield flat so it wouldn't rub against my new 345mm rotors.

6. If you plan on disassembling this caliper, getting the pistons out was a PIA even with a blow gun. One piston would come out, but now you have the other piston still stuck in the caliper. Maybe this is because these are brand new calipers with no fluid inside them to evenly distribute the air pressure?

I almost regret not just buying a big brake kit like the Stoptech ST40, but I did learn a lot more about brakes than I knew before. Thanks to you all for the very helpful info in this thread!

20210619_124109.jpg
20210716_005200.jpg
20210702_235316.jpg
20210716_003106.jpg
20210717_154846.jpg
20210718_191059.jpg

20210717_195309.jpg
20210718_191220.jpg

Last edited:

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Took me over two weeks to get this project done, but I just wanted to share my experience doing this brake upgrade (my first time ever doing a big brake upgrade):

1. High temp rattle can paint (primer + base + clear + ceramic) came out not half bad, but it's soft as cookie dough and paper thin. I've already nicked the paint by the bleeder valves :mad:

2. Make sure to bleed the system in the correct order (LF -> RF -> LR -> RR), outer bleeder valve -> inner bleeder vavle, and pressurize your power bleeder up to approx. 30psi if you are using one. I first bled the system like every other car starting with the brake caliper farthest from the MC and only used about 20 psi in my power bleeder. That first drive was not confidence inspiring. After correctly bleeding the system and using the correct amount of PSI in my power bleeder, the brakes feel awesome! @GTIfan99 Can you add this brake bleed procedure as note in the OP? It would be very helpful for noobs like myself.

3. Use Centric 105-16630 pads for those of us that have a brake wear sensor. These are great daily driver pads. @GTIfan99 Can you add this brake pad part # the OP as well? It took me a while to hunt these down.

4. If you are using stainless steel lines for Techna-Fit, make sure to screw in the caliper side first because you have to rotate the entire line as you screw it in.

5. I hammered the edges of my stock brake dust shield flat so it wouldn't rub against my new 345mm rotors.

6. If you plan on disassembling this caliper, getting the pistons out was a PIA even with a blow gun. One piston would come out, but now you have the other piston still stuck in the caliper. Maybe this is because these are brand new calipers with no fluid inside them to evenly distribute the air pressure?

I almost regret not just buying a big brake kit like the Stoptech ST40, but I did learn a lot more about brakes than I knew before. Thanks to you all the very helpful info in this thread!

View attachment 220530 View attachment 220531 View attachment 220532 View attachment 220533 View attachment 220534 View attachment 220535
View attachment 220537 View attachment 220538

Looks great. Is that the RacingLine stud conversion kit? Could you take a pic from an angle of the wheel? Trying to judge how far they poke out, and hard to do of a pic of the wheel straight on. Thanks!

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

4. If you are using stainless steel lines for Techna-Fit, make sure to screw in the caliper side first because you have to rotate the entire line as you screw it in.

I almost regret not just buying a big brake kit like the Stoptech ST40, but I did learn a lot more about brakes than I knew before. Thanks to you all the very helpful info in this thread!

View attachment 220530 View attachment 220531 View attachment 220532 View attachment 220533 View attachment 220534 View attachment 220535

I'll add those pads. Thanks for the feedback, looks good.

projectTVMK7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Audi A3
Looks great. Is that the RacingLine stud conversion kit? Could you take a pic from an angle of the wheel? Trying to judge how far they poke out, and hard to do of a pic of the wheel straight on. Thanks!
Thanks and yes, this is the Racingline kit. They don't poke out far at all, but I'll take a picture later today.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Thanks and yes, this is the Racingline kit. They don't poke out far at all, but I'll take a picture later today.

Would be appreciated, thanks. I tried the set with conical lugs on my current wheels, and they just stuck out way too much. They stuck out farther than the spokes. But I know many Neuspeed wheels have much deeper bolt seats, and have a set of RSE10s arriving this week. Wouldn't mind using the kit.

projectTVMK7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Audi A3
Would be appreciated, thanks. I tried the set with conical lugs on my current wheels, and they just stuck out way too much. They stuck out farther than the spokes. But I know many Neuspeed wheels have much deeper bolt seats, and have a set of RSE10s arriving this week. Wouldn't mind using the kit.
I have the 70mm length Racingline studs. Maybe you have the 80mm set?

Here's a few pics I was able to take today. Hope these help.
20210723_130721.jpg
20210723_130651.jpg
20210723_092216.jpg

Just in case anyone was wondering how much clearance there is with the Macan brakes and Neuspeed RSe10 18X8.5:
20210723_100609.jpg

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I have the 70mm length Racingline studs. Maybe you have the 80mm set?

Here's a few pics I was able to take today. Hope these help.
View attachment 220651 View attachment 220652
20210305_174327.jpg
View attachment 220653

Just in case anyone was wondering how much clearance there is with the Macan brakes and Neuspeed RSe10 18X8.5:
View attachment 220654

Awesome, thanks all around.

The 18x8's should only sit 6.3mm closer to the caliper. Which is about a quarter inch. That looks like a good half inch all around, so should have plenty of space.

And the RacingLine it looks good on them. I got the 70mm kit, but that wouldn't have made a difference. It was the lug nuts which stuck out, which is the same length on both kits. Only the actual bolt length is different.

20210305_174327.jpg

zucchinies

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 A3

I almost regret not just buying a big brake kit like the Stoptech ST40, but I did learn a lot more about brakes than I knew before. Thanks to you all for the very helpful info in this thread!

Removing the piston isnt actually hard. I can do it with two flat heads with rubber tips now pretty easily. You can use leverage points on the calipers and just push them out relatively easy. I got good at removing them from having to swap the pistons due to mismatching the darker and lighter pistons.. Also why did you split the calipers? Couldn't you just paint with them still connected and assembled? Even if you plan on curing the high-temp paint, I think they can cure at around 200F which shouldn't affect the rubbers. Usually calipers are disassembled for powdercoating.

projectTVMK7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Audi A3
Removing the piston isnt actually hard. I can do it with two flat heads with rubber tips now pretty easily. You can use leverage points on the calipers and just push them out relatively easy. I got good at removing them from having to swap the pistons due to mismatching the darker and lighter pistons.. Also why did you split the calipers? Couldn't you just paint with them still connected and assembled? Even if you plan on curing the high-temp paint, I think they can cure at around 200F which shouldn't affect the rubbers. Usually calipers are disassembled for powdercoating.
I was afraid of scratching the pistons using a flat head screwdriver, but I didn't think of using rubber tips. I split the calipers so that it would be easier to remove the pistons and apply the red rubber grease. It also made painting the inside of the calipers much easier.

Bernb6

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn
?Confirming Macan brake line part number: 95B-611-776-A ??

Chris at Techna-fit says they will not be able to provide a SS line for 45-60 days. So I'm ordering the standard Macan flexible brake hose from Porsche and want to confirm its part number. Can anyone confirm the above number is the correct part number?
Thanks,
Bern

Last edited:

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Well, I can confirm fitment of the 18x8 RSE10's without a spacer 😁😁

1627499750657.png

1627499803054.png

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Why do yours look so much bigger than mine and mine are behind 17" wheels.