GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Compared to a PP GTI, is the R worth it?

Unclespud

Ready to race!
Without the benefit of having driven an R (none in my state to drive), I've been looking throughout the western USA for a '16 R with DCC, manual, and the driver's assistance package. High demand, low volume and the difficulty finding an R with DAP have made this task next to impossible. If I persist long enough, I'm sure I'll find one, but is it worth the wait and expense over what I'm presently driving?

I have a '15 GTI (see signature) and I'm running the JB1. The power is good, and the handling is great for a FWD car, but is the R exponentially better in both categories? Does the R corner flatter, accelerate out of the hole better, and preserve decent ride quality?

I'd be especially interested in hearing from R owners who've driven a MK 7 GTI.

TIA

Beaker1

Go Kart Champion
Off the line the R is great. From a roll GTI will do great with similar power against a Golf R. Golf R in my opinion pulls through corners better and more smoothly. Ride quality with the DCC is great. Golf R is also fun in the snow. Comes down to personal preference and the all mighty dollar at the end of the day.

ImolaR

Ready to race!
I think you'll appreciate how neutral the R feels through corners. The grip really is phenomenal. I have tried really hard to get the car to move around in the wet with all systems off and just can't seem to do it (I really don't want to clip a curb). In the dry you can forget it unless you're on a circuit. You wont feel nearly the same limits with the GTI, dynamically it is not as capable. And that is saying a lot because the GTI is fantastic according to the pros. What sets the R apart in my opinion isn't the 0-60 or 1/4mile times, it is the handling dynamics.

Scharnhorst

Passed Driver's Ed
I was in the exact same position... I didn't get to test drive an R but I did the GTI. For 4 months i went back and forth on it. This is what did it for me:

I always wanted the cream of the crop car. I had a magnum RT that I had done a lot of stuff to, and it was a great car; but I always wish i had spent the little extra for the SRT.

Having now driven the R and the GTI. The GTI really is a great all around car. It gets significantly better gas mileage while giving 90 to 95% of the same performance. Where the R excelled was just at the limits... it felt like it had no limits. It made a joe schmoe driver feel very very confident.

Resale value

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
AWD is where it's at my brather!

For if you place many mods on da FWD...you is in fer a hurtin'.

Just sayin'.

Go 4-Motion or go Home!

Unclespud

Ready to race!
Thanks guys. You sold me on the R. All I need to do now is find one (easier said than done).

KO7

Ready to race!
If you hadn't already gotten a MK7 GTI, I'd say it's worth it over the GTI.
Given your situation, I'm not sure it's worth taking a bath on the trade-in unless you get a great deal on the transaction.

reallypeacedoff

Ready to race!
Given your situation, I'm not sure it's worth taking a bath on the trade-in unless you get a great deal on the transaction.

Yeah, basically priced to highest spec, a GTI Autobahn with PP was $4k less than a new R but if you already have a GTI PP (2015 too!) and you lose $3—6k less on the trade in, $7–$10k would not be worth it IMHO.

Although, the LC on the R is worth that to me! Ha

Last edited:

AZGTI2

Ready to race!
Go watch the video of the clubsport chase the R around the track. My prediction is the clubsport will get around a track faster. The leon cupra which is a PP GTI with a golf r engine has already proven this

No doubt the LC and drag abilities of the R are leagues ahead. Just don't say the haldex with XDS is much of an improvement over a GTI PP, because it hasn't proven to be int he corners

Lee_fr200

Ready to race!
I will put it in perspective the seat Leon is fwd and is the same as the gti but has 280bhp
That lapped the Nurburgring quicker than a golf R that has 300hp

So save your money buy a gti pp put some good tyres on it and remap or tuning box and have a car quicker than a R

Unclespud

Ready to race!
Yeah, basically priced to highest spec, a GTI Autobahn with PP was $4k less than a new R but if you already have a GTI PP (2015 too!) and you lose $3—6k less on the trade in, $7–$10k would not be worth it IMHO.

Although, the LC on the R is worth that to me! Ha

I have the highest spec GTI, and it looks like I'll lose about $10K on the trade. There are a ton of new GTI's on the market, and very few R's, which, with first-year depreciation, equals low resale. OTOH, aside from the added power and better driving dynamics, there's the upgraded nav screen, Apple Car Play, USB ports, adaptive cruise, pre collision braking, blind spot monitoring, lane keep assist, rear cross-traffic alert, etc. It would have been much smarter, and more practical, for me to go for a '15 R but I wanted to row my own gears.

Look, the GTI is a great car, but I drove a tuned '13 Mustang GT before I got the GTI. It was unrefined and had a stick axle, but I really miss the power,torque, and handling. Sounds like the R is the best of all worlds.

Unclespud

Ready to race!
I will put it in perspective the seat Leon is fwd and is the same as the gti but has 280bhp
That lapped the Nurburgring quicker than a golf R that has 300hp

So save your money buy a gti pp put some good tyres on it and remap or tuning box and have a car quicker than a R

Lee, I've got a PP GTI and have excellent summer performance rubber (Michelin Pilot Super Sports--love 'em) and I'm running a JB1 piggyback which probably gives me 270 whp give or take. When I punch the throttle from a stop, the front end lifts up and the traction gets goofy, and I'm painfully reminded that I'm driving a FWD car. I have to believe that AWD will cure that and will lessen understeer in the corners. A more talented driver could probably push the GTI to the limits you reference, but I'll be happier with a car that has less squat, dive, roll, and understeer.