GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Color match expectations?

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Taking my car back to the body shop today after getting this damage fixed and picking it up on Monday:

Since pickup, there are several things I've discovered don't meet my expectations but the biggest is the color match on the bumper. I know a new bumper means painting plastic vs metal and it's never going to be 100% spot on, but I'm seeking confirmation that my expectations aren't insane and that I haven't actually got a decent match.

I had the original bumper repaired and resprayed after a minor rear end collision a year and a half ago and the color match, I felt, was very good in all lighting from all angles.

I think that the new bumper's color match looking from the rear of the car is fine, but once you look at it from the side and in different lighting than when I picked it up, it's obviously not a great match to the rest of the car.

This is the new bumper:

I also found that there are some fisheyes and other surface boogers on the hatch where it was resprayed/blended.
Additionally, there is a new door ding and scratch in the same area of the passenger rear door that was definitely not present at drop off.

What do you folks think about the color match?

dietcokefiend

Master of Disaster
Color match is shit, multiple shades off. What type of shop did the work? Was it Porsche certified? If the shop foreman came out and asked me "what do you think" I'm respond with "Is this a fucking joke?".

When I've had to deal with crap over the years, the high-end body shops (not expensive, just they get the high-end work) do painting so well that when you move your head back and forth with reflections and all... you can't tell what the old paint is versus the new paint.

Your stuff sticks out like a damn sore thumb and it sounds like they made things a lot worse with creating new damage.

My last body shop experience was a door dent from someone swinging a door into my wife's car. 2-3 days work, fixed the door skin, removed the trim and whatnot and did the paint. Came out flawless the first shot and I seriously couldn't find flaws looking hard. The most I thought I might have seen was maybe a graceful change in metal plane near the bump... but it was a Golf door that probably had some stuff original from the factory. It was damned near perfect. 5-6 years later no issues.

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
Damn, I would not be happy with that. Find someone who specializes in VW/Audi/Porsche paint and is Glasurit certified.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Horrendous and unacceptable.

It's incredible how well a body shop can match colors nowadays, even difficult ones like various shades of silver. These guys completely blew it. NFW I'd accept that.

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
Multi stage paint is definitely harder than standard to color match. That's also why it costs so much more for a respray.

Paint is unacceptable.

"Do you know how hard it is to perfectly color match the paint from 3 years ago applied in low humidity winter vs applying it in a shop in a rainy fall?

As the manager of this establishment, I am proud of the job done by my team, we are actually seeking your permission to use photos of your car in future promotional materials."

"Man, just look at my rims and tell me you think the aesthetics of this are going to work for me."

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
My painter had a problem matching the paint on my CSG bumper too. I got a golf r bumper for my mk6 and left him the car and the bumper. He ran my vin to get the paint code. He sprayed the bumper and then called me saying the paint he used wasn't a very good match and it came out too light. Then he ordered paint from a different make and the next time he sprayed it it was a perfect match.

It was obvious it wasn't a good match and he let me know what was going on and worked to fix it asap. I never even saw the mismatched paint in person.

dietcokefiend

Master of Disaster
My painter had a problem matching the paint on my CSG bumper too. I got a golf r bumper for my mk6 and left him the car and the bumper. He ran my vin to get the paint code. He sprayed the bumper and then called me saying the paint he used wasn't a very good match and it came out too light. Then he ordered paint from a different make and the next time he sprayed it it was a perfect match.

It was obvious it wasn't a good match and he let me know what was going on and worked to fix it asap. I never even saw the mismatched paint in person.

Yea this work should have never been marked as complete. No good shop would want their name associated with it.

uberpolka

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI
I see no problem, but I'm slightly colorblind.

Always been an issue for me.
Tried to sell a mini cooper s once in electric blue. Potential buyer walked because I didn't disclose there was paint work(as I couldn't tell there was any difference)

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Not only does it look like it's completely the wrong color, but it doesn't look like they even tried to blend it with the adjacent panels.

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
Highest points of owning a pure white or tornado red car: repsrays.

"I'm color blind. Looks fine to me." That is the post of the week. (Uberpolka doesn't realize his car's yellow) [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
This isn't making me feel good about getting my bumper resprayed partially after a minor accident on Monday....

I don't notice a huge difference in yours but I definitely notice a difference. I don't think any non-car person would notice but it looks almost more green than the factory paint

Is it harder for body shops to color match flat paint or metallic?

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
Is it harder for body shops to color match flat paint or metallic?

Way harder to color match a multi stage like CSG. As you say, there's blue, there's gray, there's green... it's not lambo paint or anything, but there's a lot of colors in it.

No stress, Nick. Tornado red is one of the better colors to get repaired. There's no "Ah, it's close enough" with a single stage paint.

Last edited:

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Way harder to color match a multi stage like CSG. As you say, there's blue, there's gray, there's green... it's not lambo paint or anything, but there's a lot of colors in it.

Mine's just red so hopefully the shop can match it. I really don't want to deal with fighting it if I'm not happy just because of the situation and how shitty the party responsible for the accident has been about the repair so far.

Sorry to derail the thread OP.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Thanks everyone. Yes, one of the reasons I went to this shop is that they hold Porsche, Tesla, Cadillac, Nissan GT-R Carbon Fiber, and many other certs.

They are a local body shop that has been in business for more than 5 decades and have a pretty good rep from what I could find. They have a lot of high end cars there right now and actually just re-did my buddy's nardo gray Audi RS3 bumper after he had a minor thing happen, he says it was perfect.

Upon pickup in the near noon day sun it was clearly hard to pick out the paint issues, but I didn't look at it as hard as I could have either. Thanks for confirming I'm not crazy.

I'm going back today after work to square a few things away, obviously.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
from those pictures posted its hard to say. the CSG color changes in the sun (obviously). there is a ton of things that go into how a picture looks vs what it really looks like. The best way to tell what the paint really looks like is to get it in an enclosed space/ all white room. Otherwise sun hits it a certain way / darkness/ lightness ect ect