odessa.filez

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto

JJ_MK7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI Autobahn
I'm trying to gather all the necessary torque specs on a cheat sheet. Can you guys helped me verify it to see if I'm missing something?

Attachments

• Suspension Torque Specs.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 72

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
^ this is why you don't buy modded cars folks.

Which would include cars with coilovers that removed the axles too.

Other than the risk to my fingers, what exactly are you worried about with the 2 x 4 method?

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Everyone Always want to be so caution about deloading the spring pressure when doing the top mounts yet 50% of member feel perfectly comfortable with loading the shit out of spring with a 2x4 and wiggling their spindle out of the way to get it off.

I tired it 1 time on the mk7 and as I was getting the spindle off the 2x4 slipped from the stock… full pucker moment. I don’t see the difficulty in buying (2) 3 dollar axle bolts and just getting the spindles completely out of the way.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
Which would include cars with coilovers that removed the axles too.

Other than the risk to my fingers, what exactly are you worried about with the 2 x 4 method?
Yep, you never know if the install was done correctly or not.

You're compressing the spring by applying force to one side of the perch on the strut and that can very easily damage the strut, not to mention it's completely unsafe.

It's 6 bolts to remove the axle from the trans. I could probably get them all out in 90 seconds, I don't see how it saves any time. It may win you a Darwin award though 🤷‍♂️

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Yep, you never know if the install was done correctly or not.

You're compressing the spring by applying force to one side of the perch on the strut and that can very easily damage the strut, not to mention it's completely unsafe.

It's 6 bolts to remove the axle from the trans. I could probably get them all out in 90 seconds, I don't see how it saves any time. It may win you a Darwin award though 🤷‍♂️

Completely unsafe, 100%.

Reinstalling if you're lowering the car an inch or so is pretty easy. I'm not seeing how you could damage the strut unless you're completely blind.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Everyone Always want to be so caution about deloading the spring pressure when doing the top mounts yet 50% of member feel perfectly comfortable with loading the shit out of spring with a 2x4 and wiggling their spindle out of the way to get it off.

I tired it 1 time on the mk7 and as I was getting the spindle off the 2x4 slipped from the stock… full pucker moment. I don’t see the difficulty in buying (2) 3 dollar axle bolts and just getting the spindles completely out of the way.

It's impossible for the 2 x 4 to "slip" if you do it correctly and have set up the 2 x 4 correctly. I have a hole drilled in the 2 x 4 on one end that's offset. I have 2 large washers, a long bolt and a nut, the 2 x 4 doesn't just rest on and push up on the strut, mine is bolted to the sway bar mount on the strut. Can't slip.

It's still sketchy, but it isn't that bad if you do it right. Takes me 10 min a corner (first time Konis are inserted in the knuckle not included in that time frame, fuck Koni and the guy that puts paint 3 inches thick on their struts, what a pain in the ass).

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
It's impossible for the 2 x 4 to "slip" if you do it correctly and have set up the 2 x 4 correctly. I have a hole drilled in the 2 x 4 on one end that's offset. I have 2 large washers, a long bolt and a nut, the 2 x 4 doesn't just rest on and push up on the strut, mine is bolted to the sway bar mount on the strut. Can't slip.

It's still sketchy, but it isn't that bad if you do it right. Takes me 10 min a corner (first time Konis are inserted in the knuckle not included in that time frame, fuck Koni and the guy that puts paint 3 inches thick on their struts, what a pain in the ass).
Explaining how to perform an incorrect process correctly..... SMH.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
To take this a step further, pull the axles at the hub & replace the hardware.

Full DIY video

Write up (for springs, but same process)

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...pring-install-diy-tips-tools-and-pics.337350/

OEM torque spec references

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/f99kqqmv66pryib/AAA5LM_C4H6x4l56StzU9YO9a?dl=0&lst=

As a professional technician (aircraft mechanic with a decade at a major airline) I cannot tell you how many people have screwed up these installations due to horrible advice. I’m not going to point fingers, but please do not use an impact for installation of anything, especially the strut mounts. Take the time to properly torque new hardware to spec and it’ll be done in a afternoon…if you slam it together carelessly it’ll have clunks, creaks, rattles or worse. For those reading this who’ve already made those mistakes here’s a link for that too.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...issues-noises-advice-click-here-first.354148/
Having a torque wrench that goes to 150ft lb might be a limiting factor for a lot of people. My snap on 3/8” drive maxes out at 75ft lbs, and has served me well for 15+ years. Buying a 1/2” drive for essentially a single use is not something I’d rather do.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Having a torque wrench that goes to 150ft lb might be a limiting factor for a lot of people. My snap on 3/8” drive maxes out at 75ft lbs, and has served me well for 15+ years. Buying a 1/2” drive for essentially a single use is not something I’d rather do.
So someone else torques your lug bolts if necessary?