GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cobb Datalogs

OBP

Go Kart Newbie
While there are tons of logs for the GTi, not much is posted on the R when it comes to Cobb logs.

This is the first time I've done anything like this, so please let me know if there are specific parameters to focus in on (don't know if I can specify what to log with the AP)

Cobb OTS Stg1 91 oct (52°)
https://datazap.me/u/obp/2016-golf-r-mt?log=0&data=8-11

Cobb OTS Stg1 91 otc Hi-boost (65°)
https://datazap.me/u/obp/cobb-stg-1-91oct-hi?log=0&data=1-7-11-36

same map, 1 wk later for any adaptations by the ECU (65°)
https://datazap.me/u/obp/cobb-stg-1-91oct-hi-1wk-adapt?log=0&data=7-11-15-20-21-22

same map, Shell gas (vs Costco for previous logs) (62°)
(uphill/highway on-ramp) https://datazap.me/u/obp/log-1527136218?log=0&data=7-11
https://datazap.me/u/obp/log-1527136218?log=1&data=7-11

2016 R MT in 3rd gear
mods = hacked airbox, CTS TIP

Last edited:

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Charge air temp can be removed, IAT is what you need (post intercooler).

Torque Actual should also be added.

You have no knock which is great, but that's because the tune is extremely mild. I realize this is a stock car, but you have A LOT of power available with a good IC and a downpipe. Just some data points to show you how much more is available with a couple hardware changes and a pro-tune:

You're moving about 1350mg of air per stroke...with the same turbo I'm moving 1650.

Your peak boost is about 23 tapering to 18ish, whereas I'm around 27 tapering to 23.

Timing curve can come up about 3 degrees at my boost levels on pump gas, even more at yours. E30 ethanol blend would take about 8 degrees more timing.

AFR can be leaned out 1/2 point.

No clue what your goals are or how hard you're willing to push things...but there's A LOT more in it with an IC, DP, and custom tune. If you're DSG you will need an APR DSG tune also because stock will not hold.

Last edited:

OBP

Go Kart Newbie
Thanks for the tips. I will ultimately go the IC and DP route, however I'm on the stock clutch and the clutch I want is still backordered. So the mods will have to wait a bit.

I plan to log the other Cobb maps, mainly to show the differences since most the info out here is for the GTi, but also to see at what point the stock clutch will give up the ghost (35k miles, 30k w/JB1@ map6, low torque, +5 psi)

OBP

Go Kart Newbie
Added the datazap link to first post.

Went out and tried the Cobb OTS 91oct Hi-boost map

Everything the same except for temp, 65°. I did start the run at a bit lower RPMs.

You can see some knock with this one.

Now, I did just flash the program and am unsure if the ECU needed some miles to properly adapt (thought I read somewhere that apprx 20 miles was needed for any flash changes)

In any case I'll try one more run to confirm.

marauder

Go Kart Newbie
As Hoon was saying there's plenty of power left available with the cobb tunes without having to push your car anywhere into the red or dangerous zones. Regarding your clutch we can dial the torque back while upping the power to keep your stock clutch from slipping until your new clutch gets installed then up the power. That is what we did for mine(GTI) but i've got 20k on the tune and the oem clutch is just fine.

http://www.stratifiedauto.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=240_254

TAZZ1

Ready to race!
Not sure if I'm looking at the right data but your timing seems pretty weak for an R?

OBP

Go Kart Newbie
As Hoon was saying there's plenty of power left available with the cobb tunes without having to push your car anywhere into the red or dangerous zones. Regarding your clutch we can dial the torque back while upping the power to keep your stock clutch from slipping until your new clutch gets installed then up the power. That is what we did for mine(GTI) but i've got 20k on the tune and the oem clutch is just fine.

http://www.stratifiedauto.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=240_254

Thanks for the offer. At this point with the car stock, I figure to just try the OTS maps and share my results since there's very little info for the R.

Once I decide on the mods and clutch, I'll consider my options for tuning.

Last edited:

OBP

Go Kart Newbie
I've been on the 91oct high boost map. I will say that the car feels smoother than the factory tune. My mileage is up 1 to 2 mpg.

I'll log again to see if the knock is still there, then I'll switch over to the 93 oct map.

OBP

Go Kart Newbie
Ran a log today, and updated the OP. Practically the same conditions, no real change, maybe a tad less timing pull for cyl. 1, but still the same knock happening in the same cylinders.

I want to move on to the 93oct map, but I may consider changing over to Shell just to rule out the gas. (currently Costco gas)

Also due for an oil change shortly and will install fresh plugs.

manfriday

Ready to race!
OP, you state 3rd gear pull, I keep seeing for 6mt it should be 4th gear.
Can someone please clarify if it make a difference.
What plugs are you considering?

OBP

Go Kart Newbie
OP, you state 3rd gear pull, I keep seeing for 6mt it should be 4th gear.
Can someone please clarify if it make a difference.
What plugs are you considering?

Fourth gear would be ideal, but since I live in a congested area, winding it out to 110 mph es no bueno for me. At least topping out at 80mph in 3rd gear is more reasonable in case I get pulled over.

Each of the runs had a passenger, so I'm hoping the extra weight adds enough load for the engine that 3rd gear pulls would be enough.

As for plugs, I have a set of R8 NGKs ready.

I think I'll switch gas to Shell and log one more time. Then switch the plugs and then on to the 93oct map.

Honestly, I'm just sharing this because there's no good info for the OTS Cobb maps out there for the R. I think my car was quicker with the JB1. But the power delivery of the Cobb is smoother, so that could be masking the difference in felt power.

manfriday

Ready to race!
Cheers OBP.
I am using Shell and COSTCO depending on location but not logging yet. I plan on R7 plugs. I hear you on the JB1 and do agree. The only difference I can come up with is the COBB is there from the get go where as the JBx seemed to be more about mid to top end. For me the COBB seems to fade in the mid section. I suppose that's what logging is for.

marauder

Go Kart Newbie
it's perfectly fine to log in 3rd. 4th is more ideal as it's the closer 1:1 and loads the engine up more, but it's tough finding a stretch of road to hit 120-130mph.
Part of what makes the JB1 feel so quick is how brute and aggressively it kits in. There isn't linear power feeling with the JB. Smoother tunes can feel slower because it's more linear and in actuality be quicker. The cobb OTS tunes are probably going to be about where the JB1 is though, as the Cobb tunes are very conservative.