GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clutch Slipping At 13K Miles

Jargon

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf R

Update. Got the car back this morning (great success). South bend stage 3 daily installed, RMS replaced and Fluid Damper Crank installed.
But when they checked the car over noticed water pump leak. Car is still under warranty until May 2022 so hopefully they will replace it and not give me a hard time about the tune or the other after market parts. None of that shit should impact the water pump anyway. So literally picked it up from Indy shop and drove directly to the dealership.

maxwell

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 GSW 6MT 4motion
Southbend stage 3 daily. Get it and forget thinking about a clutch.
you running a fluidamper or no? This is where my research has let me. When I do the clutch i'll do RMS, but curious on your experience. I'm totally fine with chatter, FYI

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
you running a fluidamper or no? This is where my research has let me. When I do the clutch i'll do RMS, but curious on your experience. I'm totally fine with chatter, FYI
Nope. The noise isn't that bothersome to me.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Fluiddamper isn’t for chatter anyways… the chatter that SMF’s commonly exaggerate are from the gears i the transmission transmitting the noise. I think the notion that its for sound is something that was just rinse and repeated via forums.

What the fluiddamper does is bringing back a level of safety in regards to engine harmonics and vibrations because the DMF was initially helping to eat up those vibrations that could be coming from the transmission and such. Now going to a single in theory can be a contributor to the thrust bearing sliding out due to the vibrations.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
If I blow my motor, I'm going VR6 R30 swap. Probably cost similar to EA888

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Yeah massive cost.

Also the VR swap still gonna be more than a e888.3 cause the ECU swap needed
Within a year there will be kits. I know of three guys locally that are doing it. But their fingers are too fat to join the forum.

maxwell

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 GSW 6MT 4motion
Fluiddamper isn’t for chatter anyways… the chatter that SMF’s commonly exaggerate are from the gears i the transmission transmitting the noise. I think the notion that its for sound is something that was just rinse and repeated via forums.

What the fluiddamper does is bringing back a level of safety in regards to engine harmonics and vibrations because the DMF was initially helping to eat up those vibrations that could be coming from the transmission and such. Now going to a single in theory can be a contributor to the thrust bearing sliding out due to the vibrations.
Helpful commentary thank you. I'm not convinced the thrust bearing issues are anything aside from additional pressure being placed on an inferior 'half circle' thrust bearing design, but it's a sound inference... possibly. I also appreciate the fluiddamper comment. There's a good chance that will be included with my clutch replacement.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Helpful commentary thank you. I'm not convinced the thrust bearing issues are anything aside from additional pressure being placed on an inferior 'half circle' thrust bearing design, but it's a sound inference... possibly. I also appreciate the fluiddamper comment. There's a good chance that will be included with my clutch replacement.
Highly recommended Fluidampr with clutch replacement.