GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clutch Slipping At 13K Miles

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Same here - I "get" what everyone here is saying "in theory" and I get that lugging the engine is a shitty thing to do in general. I don't do it - I've only had this thing about a month and it feels happiest hovering around 3K.

But as far as the claim that "flooring it in 5th and 6th at regular highway speeds is bad" for the clutch (specifically) - I still don't understand. It's fully engaged - there's no slip occurring. I get that slamming a sudden burst of 3,000 hp through it would not be good... but we're not there.

We’re mostly talking about a tuned manual on stock clutch. The stock clutches are “no cost options” aka the DSG adds 1K to MSRP compared to manual. As such they are penny pinched for the absolute bare minimum. Tune them and they become prone to slip in the circumstances we are describing. There are plenty of people who have been booming and got the first taste of slip. They “test” it by flooring in 6th @ 2K. In many cases they can recreate it.

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
That's because they put good clutches in the cars you mentioned.

Those V8 turning 1,800rpm at highway speeds are putting like 250 lbft WOT.... meanwhile depending on your gearing, we are at like 2,200-2,800 rpm at highway speeds and with 400+ lbft ready to fry that clutch.

and then yes they have a clutch system to match a V8... while we have a econobox clutch.

Bobby Boucher

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf R
Honestly not being facetious here - just trying to separate genuine concerns from forum lore.

you think because it's fully engaged it can't slip?
Not under stock power with a clutch in good working order?

It comes down to gearing. The turbo is going full bore and the engine is trying to spin something that can't spin because you aren't going fast enough. It puts a lot of wear on the clutch and will eventually make it slip if you keep doing it.
What wear is occurring if the clutch can't slip? Again I'm assuming stock power here with a clutch that isn't already on its way out for whatever reason.

We’re mostly talking about a tuned manual on stock clutch. The stock clutches are “no cost options” aka the DSG adds 1K to MSRP compared to manual. As such they are penny pinched for the absolute bare minimum. Tune them and they become prone to slip in the circumstances we are describing. There are plenty of people who have been booming and got the first taste of slip. They “test” it by flooring in 6th @ 2K. In many cases they can recreate it.
This is the only thing that makes sense so to me thus far - if that's the context, I totally understand. I'd expect a stock clutch, in good working order, to be more than capable of handling stock power in any scenario.

They test these cars for every idiotic scenario imaginable - foot to the floor in 5th or 6th @ low RPMs is hardly the dumbest.

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
I get your point, if it doesn't actually slip and holds WOT... the wear will be relatively minor, and not much more than if you are at say 50% throttle or downshifting and going WOT but at a higher gear....
However if it doesn't hold.... holds holds and then slips, and you don't catch it (and even if you do) and let it burn a bit, you already destroyed hundreds / thousands of miles of clutch life... is it worth it?

And finally, helping your clutch isn't the only reason you would downshift... you don't wanna go WOT in the low/mid range on any car, but specially not a turbo car.... and especially the ea888.

LSPI is a big issue in our cars.... see below:

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Same here - I "get" what everyone here is saying "in theory" and I get that lugging the engine is a shitty thing to do in general. I don't do it - I've only had this thing about a month and it feels happiest hovering around 3K.

But as far as the claim that "flooring it in 5th and 6th at regular highway speeds is bad" for the clutch (specifically) - I still don't understand. It's fully engaged - there's no slip occurring. I get that slamming a sudden burst of 3,000 hp through it would not be good... but we're not there.
How can you be sure there's no slip occurring? And if there isn't now there will be if you continue to do that.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Honestly not being facetious here - just trying to separate genuine concerns from forum lore.

Not under stock power with a clutch in good working order?

What wear is occurring if the clutch can't slip? Again I'm assuming stock power here with a clutch that isn't already on its way out for whatever reason.

This is the only thing that makes sense so to me thus far - if that's the context, I totally understand. I'd expect a stock clutch, in good working order, to be more than capable of handling stock power in any scenario.

They test these cars for every idiotic scenario imaginable - foot to the floor in 5th or 6th @ low RPMs is hardly the dumbest.
Forget the clutch. Flooring it in 5th or 6th gear at low RPM 's is hard on the crankshaft.

Bobby Boucher

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf R
How can you be sure there's no slip occurring? And if there isn't now there will be if you continue to do that.
I've owned cars with clutches on their way out and it's pretty noticeable when you're on it and slip occurs?

Forget the clutch. Flooring it in 5th or 6th gear at low RPM 's is hard on the crankshaft.
Yeah the video @hans611 posted - saw that years ago. On board with that.

It can slip, that's what we're trying to tell you. Even stock power
Thought I did a pretty careful job of reading through the responses itt trying to get at that - didn't see it laid out this way. Just nebulous "wear" is mentioned. So the narrative is:

Even on a brand-new Golf R with everything in-spec, going WOT @ low RPMs in the taller gears can cause the clutch to slip? If so, wtf

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Even on a brand-new Golf R with everything in-spec, going WOT @ low RPMs in the taller gears can cause the clutch to slip? If so, wtf
On the Mk8, the clutch is rated for 280 ft/lb so they limited torque for the manual cars to, you guessed it, 280 lb/ft, while the US DSG cars get 295 lb/ft. Of course any tune (even on a GTI) will put you well over that limit. We get a weak clutch, always have, won't for much longer. I suspect the Mk8.5 refresh won't offer a manual anymore for the R, which is why I went ahead and ordered one now.

Jargon

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Question for those who have had a clutch go in these cars. Does it just get progressively worse and worse or does it come and go like a cold? I have been driving the wifes car primarily since I noticed it slipping. Today had to take my car out and put down about 100 miles. Absolutely no slippage. Now I did babied it mostly but did find myself in a position a couple times where I needed to put the power down and it felt totally normal.
Just wondering.

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
It was progressive in my Mk5... I found out for example when it was really cold out and everything was cold, it would slip easier.... (I was in the Northeast back then)
Every slip is definitely making things worse, glazing it up a bit more.... I would assume not letting it slip for a while helps things improve....
I drove that Mk5 like that for 6 months and it was stage 2... you can go a long time with it slipping like that if you catch it slipping (or you want to avoid it slipping at all really)

Basically I drive my golf R now as if it where slipping like the other car.... hoping the get the most out of it..... not doing anything especially, just what was previously said, avoid a heavy foot under 3.5-4k.......