GOLFMKV

Clubsport S Muffler Thread

Have you ordered a CSS muffler?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluedoggiant

Go Kart Newbie
I said weeks ago, Adam and I think someone else re iterated recently.

It costs more money to produce low volume parts than high volume parts. It's not a simple oh let's make money by selling these. The margins are likely slim, production taking away from other priorities. I even guess parts of production are by hand.

Engineering and accounting. When they made the CSS, they accounted for minuscule amounts of spare parts. Part of the cost of the car.

feher_90

Passed Driver's Ed
I already have the catback Clubsport installed. I uploaded two videos ..

The sound is stronger and sharper than stock when you accelerate, but not strident.

I drove a gti clubsport on gti day for the 40th birthday at the jarama circuit, and the sound is very similar.

I have appreciated much less drone between 2000-2500 revs on freeway.

I had to do several miles, at the beginning of installing it was quite quiet, little by little the sound is stronger and deeper.

I will upload some more video ...

Sorry for my english, I'm spanish lol

greetings to all!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZAHsBQjlPg&feature=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhucUuhr8Gs

Sound clip interior

Sound Gti performance with CS catback.mp4
http://www71.zippyshare.com/v/qQuvN9VW/file.html

Better listen with headphones

Last edited:

jayrm14

Passed Driver's Ed
I already have the catback Clubsport installed. I uploaded two videos ..

The sound is stronger and sharper than stock when you accelerate, but not strident.

I drove a gti clubsport on gti day for the 40th birthday at the jarama circuit, and the sound is very similar.

I have appreciated much less drone between 2000-2500 revs on freeway.

I had to do several miles, at the beginning of installing it was quite quiet, little by little the sound is stronger and deeper.

I will upload some more video ...

Sorry for my english, I'm spanish lol

greetings to all!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZAHsBQjlPg&feature=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhucUuhr8Gs

Sound clip interior

Sound Gti performance with CS catback.mp4
http://www71.zippyshare.com/v/qQuvN9VW/file.html

Better listen with headphones

Sounds very similar to the CSS muffler... very encouraging!

nype

Drag Racing Champion
It sounds quite similar to the CSS muffler only clips to me as well. Wondering what the current CSS muffler owners think?

Feher_90 - would you mind listing the part numbers and prices?

Also, did you have to do any modification or did everything bolt together?

I'm guessing that the pipe diameter reduction in this case, happens where the cat connect to the resonator pipe?

This is what these forums are all about. Thanks for sharing!

Vincenz

Ready to race!

Sounds all right at idle, but need drive by videos to compare how it will really sound. Can you post some?

Did you not need a reducer still from the cat/downpipe to the resonator?

You are probably the only one who has a GTI with a CS res and muff setup. It may prove to sound close to a real clubsport, given that you have a ROW car.

feher_90

Passed Driver's Ed
It sounds quite similar to the CSS muffler only clips to me as well. Wondering what the current CSS muffler owners think?

I'm guessing that the pipe diameter reduction in this case, happens where the cat connect to the resonator pipe?

Thanks nype!

Installation is very simple.

The first thing is to disassemble the resonator and muffler.

The resonator connects to the downpipe with the same flange that comes from stock.

To connect the muffler to the resonator, a smaller diameter flange is used that is included with the resonator. (1K0253141S)

The reduction is in the outlet tube after the resonator.

The muffler also includes the two Clubsport brackets (5Q0253144D)

Ref. CS resonator 5Q0253209FM
Ref. CS muffler 5G6253609AN

Price 670€ shipped to Madrid (Spain)

I have recorded some sound clips...

- Mid throttle, changes to 4-4500rev
- Hard throttle, changes to 5500rev
- And full throttle to 6700rev

Middle trothle.m4a
http://www35.zippyshare.com/v/oAKfPMJd/file.html

5500k.m4a
http://www99.zippyshare.com/v/TR1WHW4B/file.html

Full trothle.m4a
http://www60.zippyshare.com/v/VsNY7dd5/file.html

I wore the phone to the bumper with adhesive tape tesa :eek:
Sorry for the quality, it's a galaxy S6, you hear a lot of wind noise

Last edited:

MattB1

Ready to race!

It sounds pretty much how my CSS muffler sounded when it was first fitted, but it isn't possible to say if the CS resonator reduces the overall sound level vs the GTI resonator from the video clips alone.

feher_90

Passed Driver's Ed
It sounds pretty much how my CSS muffler sounded when it was first fitted, but it isn't possible to say if the CS resonator reduces the overall sound level vs the GTI resonator from the video clips alone.

Matt, there's a lot of difference in sound since you installed it, to this day?

I only did 70km and I feel that every time it is sounding a little better.

Vincenz

Ready to race!
Hard to compare without flybys. It may be a difference in ROW vs NA engine, or that a CS resonator was used along with a CS muffler, but it sounds a little cleaner and tone is a little more consistent than the other NA setups here with stock GTI res.

Vincenz

Ready to race!
To my ears it sounds more consistent and less ricey than NA GTI setups. Can't say whether that's due to the different engine setup, the CS res, CS muff, or all of the above-- too many variables in play. I would say the CS res probably helps tame the exhaust note on a GTI.

Either way, it sounds slightly deeper than NA GTI with CSS muff already, and you've only just had it installed. The dsg farts sound more belchy than farty and not altogether terrible. To my ears, a Remus system still sounds better, but I think this setup or a real clubsport/s is a close second.

If in NA, I would try this over just CSS muffler tacked on the stock system. Either that or stay stock.

Thanks for everyone posting examples. Only with more data can different setups be ranked.

Last edited:

AdamSheikh

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI | 24 RS 3

This is more or less identical to what mine sounds like. Your other clips are also very very similar in overall tone, though the idle and static rev on yours seems to be a little less bass heavy. Of course, the system hasn't fully broken in yet so it will likely change in character over the next few weeks. Could also be the camera/mic used to record as well.

But based on this, I'd say the CS res plus CS muffler is still a worthwhile setup for someone looking for an OEM+ addition with a little extra tone. I would still be very curious to see what a standard GTI res plus CS muffler sounds like. But I can't imagine it would drastically different from you've done here.

Nice work and thanks for sharing! Hope you enjoy it as much as we have been :cool:

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Thanks again for all of these details, feher_90!

To confirm, the resonator came with the flange/clamp to connect it to the silencer pipe?

And the silencer came with CS hangers/brackets even though you could have just reused the original ones?

The pics are great. Especially the first one showing where the CS pipe past the resonator reduces from 65mm to 60mm.

So adding just a CS muffler to existing standard GTI catback shifts that reduction point further back to where the muffler is attached.

Keep us posted on how the sound matures as you break it in. Cheers.

feher_90

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks again for all of these details, feher_90!

To confirm, the resonator came with the flange/clamp to connect it to the silencer pipe?

And the silencer came with CS hangers/brackets even though you could have just reused the original ones?

The pics are great. Especially the first one showing where the CS pipe past the resonator reduces from 65mm to 60mm.

So adding just a CS muffler to existing standard GTI catback shifts that reduction point further back to where the muffler is attached.

Keep us posted on how the sound matures as you break it in. Cheers.

Nype you can only install CS muffler using a piece like these

the flange and the two supports are included!

I'll comment on more impressions.

Regards guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.