GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CLEANING ADVICE: Drying Towels

LJT94

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI PP
Just wondering if anyone can recommend a good drying towel they use?
Mine are starting to get a bit shabby lately so I’m after a new one but want a decent one this time round.

SRQ_MK6

Ready to race!
Not a towel but, what about a hand held 12" squeegee? I bought one to help get off all the standing water after a wash but I feel like I'm just dragging little rocks or something across it.

sergemcgraw83

Passed Driver's Ed
Not a towel but, what about a hand held 12" squeegee? I bought one to help get off all the standing water after a wash but I feel like I'm just dragging little rocks or something across it.

You are.

chiefhiawatha

Ready to race!
Just wondering if anyone can recommend a good drying towel they use?

Mine are starting to get a bit shabby lately so I’m after a new one but want a decent one this time round.

My favorite drying towel is a $75 electric leaf blower. Most have a constrictor insert to get super high speed directed air. Dries the car and entirely without touching. Still use a waffle weave for door jambs etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I still have a California Water Blade from a LONG time ago. I was also a huge skeptic. It's made with thick silicone that still shows no wear. When they first came out everyone said it will scratch your clear coat/paint. I bought one and washed and dried my car as normal with a terry cloth towel. I checked an area for scratches with a magnifying glass. Then I washed that area and used the water blade. I couldn't find any scratches. This thing was relatively expensive then. I don't know what the newer ones use. It does help a lot. I can dry the car with one good waffle towel.

As for waffle towels, the best one I ever found was my wife's old hair towel. She bought a different design and gave me her old one. I have other car waffle towels but none are as thick. I recently bought a set of Meguiars and they're nowhere near the quality. So look at women's hair towels but be prepared to open your wallet - good ones are not cheap.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I love my Chemical Guys blower in one hand and a micro fiber towel in the other. Small, light and not large $$.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

SRQ_MK6

Ready to race!

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Why dry your car separately when you can do an Italian tune up at the same time? 30 minutes at 4k RPM should at least get the hood dry :D. But for real I use a California water blade and this chemical guys waffle towel. Bought my last one 2.5 years ago and it's not as absorbent any more, so time to replace. It's a mistake to wash any drying towel with any wax/sealant applicator/buffer towel. I need to start separating towels into those that are meant to absorb and those that have had hydrophobic chemicals on them.

TheJokker

Go Kart Newbie
I also use the Chemical Guy's Waffle Weave towel. Before drying I spray on their synthetic sealant and I "wax" and dry in one step. It works great.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
I also use the Chemical Guy's Waffle Weave towel. Before drying I spray on their synthetic sealant and I "wax" and dry in one step. It works great.

This is I think what made mine less absorbent. Wax as you dry will leave hydrophobic stuff in the towel. I don't use wax as you dry any more due to this, and just do a regular wax afterwards instead.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
not the question but a hint: when rinsing your car remove the nozzle and use an open hose to rinse. You will have much less water on the car to dry off.