GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Class action lawsuit letter (Waterpump)

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I'm quite sure they are well within the bounds of the state law here...just taking time. The lawfirm ALWAYS makes money on CA suits...that's why they do it for nothing up front.
Numerous firms that do these kinds of suits have been caught keeping the money and not paying out, so don't be too trusting.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Numerous firms that do these kinds of suits have been caught keeping the money and not paying out, so don't be too trusting.
Interesting...

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Update....

Capture.JPG

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Finally...class action settlement check for my out-of-warranty water pump repair. Staying on top of paperwork and checking in with this as well as reminding them of the terms of the settlement periodically paid off...they had 100 days once it was approved to get these checks out and they were late. Glad to see the checks going out.
Capture.JPG

Last edited:

joeblonewjersey

Ready to race!
I may have asked before, is so, apologies. 2016 GTI w/34k mikes, never had to put in coolant, but I do smell it after those long drives and pulling into the garage many times.
My concern/question is if I have the remediation work performed and if it has coverage of a percentage according to schedule, what is the expectation that it won't continue to occur?
My end game plan from day one was to buy the car and keep it forever as a last of the 2-doors, desirable configuration, etc., and that may still hold trure as each day I get older like the car.
But.....research has shown me that water pump version A, then B, then C, and D, and so forth keep being made and many persons on these forums have had multiple replacements done with some having continued failure.
Has not the aftermarket mad a decent replacement that deals with the inadequacies of the OEM manufactured products? Seems like such a waste to have it done and have to worry that the part being replaced is no better than the original one used when the car was manufactured, even with each revision of water pump and thermostat housing made afterwards. Also, curious to know if anyone knows what each revision changed or made different to be considered a new rev #?
I know that this referred to post is for an older VW, but 5 water pumps and still? https://www.vwvortex.com/threads/5th-water-pump-failure-new-revision.7619217/
And then you gotta worry if the mechanic doing the job is competent.
Oh, the worries.

Last edited:

sloopercat

Go Kart Newbie
My 2019 has the smell, but is inconsistent. Definitely coming from the right front of the engine. When they did the TPS software recall I had them look at the coolant loss. It has dropped to the add level twice in 45K. They gave me some BS nonsense about this being a vented system so loss is expected. I asked them if it is normally vented at the front right of the engine block. No response, they new what they were slinging was BS. Warranty good for another 15K, I suppose I will eventually have to add UV dye to the coolant and take a UV light in to show them where it’s seeping coolant. Love the car compared to anything else in its price range. Willing to put up with a few foibles, every car has them, more so now than ever. I was a mechanic and ran a foreign car repair shop at one time in my younger years and don’t appreciate being treated like an idiot.

joeblonewjersey

Ready to race!
Not something I would want to do with the complexity of every connecter, bolt, yada, yada, yada. God bless the ones who know how to do this correctly. That who would be the one I'd want to do mine.

sloopercat

Go Kart Newbie
https://www.uspmotorsports.com/product/usp-ultimate-water-pump-replacement-kit-for-gen-3-75026432

No connection with these, no experience either.
I may have asked before, is so, apologies. 2016 GTI w/34k mikes, never had to put in coolant, but I do smell it after those long drives and pulling into the garage many times.
My concern/question is if I have the remediation work performed and if it has coverage of a percentage according to schedule, what is the expectation that it won't continue to occur?
My end game plan from day one was to buy the car and keep it forever as a last of the 2-doors, desirable configuration, etc., and that may still hold trure as each day I get older like the car.
But.....research has shown me that water pump version A, then B, then C, and D, and so forth keep being made and many persons on these forums have had multiple replacements done with some having continued failure.
Has not the aftermarket mad a decent replacement that deals with the inadequacies of the OEM manufactured products? Seems like such a waste to have it done and have to worry that the part being replaced is no better than the original one used when the car was manufactured, even with each revision of water pump and thermostat housing made afterwards. Also, curious to know if anyone knows what each revision changed or made different to be considered a new rev #?
I know that this referred to post is for an older VW, but 5 water pumps and still? https://www.vwvortex.com/threads/5th-water-pump-failure-new-revision.7619217/
And then you gotta worry if the mechanic doing the job is competent.
Oh, the worries.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Interesting that the R waterpump is different. Wonder if it can be used on the GTI? And if it would help with temps.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Not something I would want to do with the complexity of every connecter, bolt, yada, yada, yada. God bless the ones who know how to do this correctly. That who would be the one I'd want to do mine.
I replaced my thermostat during an intercooler replacement. Car was apart for three days. Not something i would want to do again.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Finally...class action settlement check for my out-of-warranty water pump repair. Staying on top of paperwork and checking in with this as well as reminding them of the terms of the settlement periodically paid off...they had 100 days once it was approved to get these checks out and they were late. Glad to see the checks going out.
View attachment 294394
Did you have a dealer replace your thermostat or did you do it yourself? I got the notification letter from vw a while ago, haven't submitted a claim yet. I did the repair myself with a thermostat i got from fcpeuro.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Did you have a dealer replace your thermostat or did you do it yourself? I got the notification letter from vw a while ago, haven't submitted a claim yet. I did the repair myself with a thermostat i got from fcpeuro.
I had my shop do the repair.

sloopercat

Go Kart Newbie
The dealer saw the car at 41K when I complained about coolant loss. First loss noted at 30K, filled it and then to the dealer, it was at the lower level line. Now, at 45K it is already at the bottom line, losing coolant quicker. Plenty of warranty left. My understanding is they do a leak test by applying air pressure and looking for leaks by watching the pressure drop, or not. There is some allowable air pressure loss or time at pressure test they do. Mine passed that test.

I might have a chat with the service writer and have him advise. The odor is only getting worse and more frequent. It comes and goes.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Just had my replaced waterpump and thermostat housing replaced at 74,000 mile on my 2015 a couple of weeks ago.
Unfortunately I'm outside the parameters of the Class Action Law Suit.