GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Center trim got me - poll

Did you/do you have sharp edges on your shifter trim?

• I've looked and everything is good

Votes: 58 65.2%
  • I've looked and I have sharp edges but no injury yet

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • I've been injured by the sharp edge but have not reported it

Votes: 16 18.0%
  • I've been injured by the sharp trim and I have reported it

Votes: 10 11.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cb1111

If you haven't filed a complaint yet, then you can do it here

The problematic part is the bright shifter surround by the front cubby where you would put your phone or other small items.

Last edited:

zimmie2652

Ready to race!
I'd like to see the statistics, most the injuries I've heard of regarding this specific complaint were from early MYs. I myself have a 2015. Wonder if they got many reports early on and re-engineered the trim or something. Is this relatively common in other VW models as well?

Jozooka

Go Kart Newbie
2016 bit me.

Those that report they've looked at it and it seems good, it's not obvious. Took me a while to figure out what cut me and I could only feel it, not see it. Best way is to drag your finger perpendicularly across the chrome trim by the cubby - front to back. If you go left/right you might get a bad surprise.

ccbird

Ready to race!
This plagues other VW products as well; my Wife's Audi has cut me a couple times on the trim where the "chrome" plating starts pealing a bit.

Ilibbs

Yeah I got myself real good pulling my phone out of the cubby recently. Was 1/2 way through a 2 hour drive. Was a fun time stopping the bleeding with napkins while in the middle of I-4 afternoon traffic.

Was pretty upset at the stupid design oversight, but I don't expect they would ever do anything about it...

Edit: I have an early 2017

Last edited:

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
My cars, and previously motorcycles, daren't attack me as they know I have plenty of 'heavy duty' tools, access to blow torches, plenty of mates and live near deep ponds & high cliffs :rolleyes:. Thinking back though I DID catch my hand on a panel in the back somewhere a few weeks ago, cut me a little. Game on then, :D...

cb1111

My cars, and previously motorcycles, daren't attack me as they know I have plenty of 'heavy duty' tools, access to blow torches, plenty of mates and live near deep ponds & high cliffs :rolleyes:. Thinking back though I DID catch my hand on a panel in the back somewhere a few weeks ago, cut me a little. Game on then, :D...

For those of you in the UK, you can report it here and Canadian owners can report them here. Owners in Germany can report problems here. You can also get this website in English (kindof)

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
My start button trim almost got me about a year ago.
It's covered with a badgeskin.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
I read about this happening so when I got my 2017 Sport with Kessy, I put the badgeskin on day 1.

Good move!
Mine was fine, and then one day part of the "A" became a little spearhead.
The badgeskin, preserved it from going further and since I've become a bit farsighted - I can barely see it.

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Better pictures and a better explanation of what the issue is here and cause? Sorry the op seems kinda vague. I know about the start button. Havent heard of this one yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk