GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sliced my hand open in my 2015 GTI...

theophilus

Passed Driver's Ed
I love my MK7 GTI but today as I was pulling my wallet out of the center console storage compartment, the silver trim piece in front of the shifter boot caught my hand and sliced it open. At first I thought it was just a scratch but when I looked at my hand it was dripping with blood. After rushing into the closest Giant to stop the bleeding and to purchase bandages, I later came out to inspect the car and noticed that the trim piece was slightly deformed which exposed the razor sharp edge. I was pretty shocked and now I'm worried it's going to happen again to me or my family even if I take it to the dealership and have them replace the piece. It seems to be a design flaw. What do you guys think? Has anyone else noticed this?

Pictures in this album. I took the pictures of my hand several hours later to show it wasn't just a tiny scratch. Warning, some blood.
http://imgur.com/a/zUcX2

Last edited:

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion
Sorry to hear that OP, but that is definitely not right with the trim piece sticking up like that. I would definitely take that to the dealership with your pictures and make them fix it.

bayarea7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'15 RSM 2 door S 6M
This happened in my mercedes. Trim piece on steering wheel started peeling and cut me. Fixed under warranty so you should absolutely take it in.

Animoski

Passed Driver's Ed
As i've been driving around more and more, i've been noticing a bit of these deformities.

Sure a few panels not lining up here and there, but even the small stuff like where the silver trim on the bottom part of the steering wheel (near the GTI badge) where it connects to the leather piece, one side sits flush the other side doesn't and you can kinda easily see it once you do.

Seems like a lot of the plastics can get very easily damaged. Same day my right passenger door started rattling, same day my left window lost auto up/down and the whole window tab trim seems very rattly/cheap to begin with, plus dings in places you would wonder how they happened :/ lol

Last edited:

phphoto

Ready to race!
I noticed the same piece of trim around the gear lever popped up slightly by the opening like yours. I just had to push it back down again by going all around that piece with firm pressure. Hope it stays down. Hope your hand is better.

spaghetti118

Anyone have luck with having this replaced? Mine has cracked and is starting to splinter. Was hoping I could just pick a new one up without replacing the entire shift boot.

shz702

Ready to race!
Man same thing happened to me when I was popping out the cubby. I accidentally bent that silver trim piece up, it tore just slightly and didn't notice until I sliced my finger on it. I got it to stick back down with a little super glue but I would like to replace it if possible.

spaghetti118

Anything thoughts on plastidipping that trim piece to black? I've never dipped anything before so I'm not sure how it looks in person.

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
It sounds like they are trying to avoid it turning into a million dollar recall