GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Carbon build up US R's

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Someone on here has 40,000 or 50,000 miles and said they were going to check the valves. Can't remember who though. I laos have a borescope but I'm not sure the valves can be seen without using the 90-degree mirror.

Makabeeshu

Many tuners have shared that our engine has improved over time regarding the earlier versions... and with that, catch cans aren't necessary and may not prevent carbon build up entirely or at all.

Bottom line, if YOU think it's necessary and YOU need it go ahead.

I'll spend my money elsewhere.

I have a borescope and will analyze when I reach 20k in 10k miles.

yeah, I have also heard this too, I just figured that since I'm planning on owning this car for a while, the $400 I spent on the can will be worth it over time. Even if it doesn't help/only helps a little, better than nothing right?

tonipepperoni77

Drag Race Newbie
yeah, I have also heard this too, I just figured that since I'm planning on owning this car for a while, the $400 I spent on the can will be worth it over time. Even if it doesn't help/only helps a little, better than nothing right?

true true ill just wait it out and check around 40k and if they have to be cleaned i will pay the 250 for the walnut blasting,

have you had any deposits in your can yet ?

Beaker1

Go Kart Champion
true true ill just wait it out and check around 40k and if they have to be cleaned i will pay the 250 for the walnut blasting,

I'll keep an eye on my catch can and see what amounts in there. I have heard the same thing about the engine being better in this car vs the previous one as well. I do hope that this is the case but I got it just in case and it was in all honesty to early to tell for us in the US. It's amazing how many tuners are building the catch can systems even with the fact that many say it's a better and more efficient system. I am impressed with the cost of your walnut blast cleaning. I was quoted $600 on my mk6 gti. That's a great price.

tonipepperoni77

Drag Race Newbie
I'll keep an eye on my catch can and see what amounts in there. I have heard the same thing about the engine being better in this car vs the previous one as well. I do hope that this is the case but I got it just in case and it was in all honesty to early to tell for us in the US. It's amazing how many tuners are building the catch can systems even with the fact that many say it's a better and more efficient system. I am impressed with the cost of your walnut blast cleaning. I was quoted $600 on my mk6 gti. That's a great price.

yeah ive seen quote up to that but with mine its cause im helping haha i love taking engines apart so im lessening the load on the shop and would help along with with the tear down

Beaker1

Go Kart Champion
yeah ive seen quote up to that but with mine its cause im helping haha i love taking engines apart so im lessening the load on the shop and would help along with with the tear down
Awsome..that's a great deal!!

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
I'll keep an eye on my catch can and see what amounts in there. I have heard the same thing about the engine being better in this car vs the previous one as well. I do hope that this is the case but I got it just in case and it was in all honesty to early to tell for us in the US. It's amazing how many tuners are building the catch can systems even with the fact that many say it's a better and more efficient system./QUOTE]

Even though the return oil baffling is supposed to be improved on this engine, I can't help but be a little apprehensive given the ROW R's have multiport injection in addition to direct injection into the combustion chamber--the only reason to incorporate a twin injection system such as this is to spray the intake valves with gasoline at low revs to act as a solvent, reducing carbon build-up.

Beaker1

Go Kart Champion

makabeehu

i've only had it on for a week now, and my daily commute is short so barely have 50 miles on the can. I'll take a look though and let you know

veedubfreak

Go Kart Champion
I would also hope that there will be less build up on the R because most of us are going to be a lot less likely to cheap out on their gas. I know even I used to put 87 in my 1.8t when all I was doing was commuting.

buyingconstant7

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 GTI 3 Door 6spd
I did a carbon cleaning on my mothers 2014 Tiguan. Car missed when cold, poor mileage, poor acceleration and just didn't feel happy. Took it to the mountains, had it on cruise set to 65 the whole way, locked the transmission into 3rd gear(4,500rpms) and let it sit there for the trip there and back. After I came back, everything was restored. I wish I did a bore scope of it before, but I did one a few days after and the valves were spotless. The stems had minor buildup, but but it was so minor. I'll be doing this method from now on.