GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Carbon build up US R's

tonipepperoni77

Drag Race Newbie
was wondering if any of the US R's here have thought about the issue seeing that alot of the GTI owners are running catch cans which in theory have never really been proven to help really stop it just slow it down, was wonder if any of you are running them or are just going to do a cleaning at some interval 60k or something like that.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
was wondering if any of the US R's here have thought about the issue seeing that alot of the GTI owners are running catch cans which in theory have never really been proven to help really stop it just slow it down, was wonder if any of you are running them or are just going to do a cleaning at some interval 60k or something like that.

Catch cans are difficult to mount on R's because there isn't as much free under-hood real estate to work with. As such, there's only a couple of very pricey kits available for the R.

ExcelerateRep1

Go Kart Champion

If I remember correctly we did a catch can install for a Golf R ill try and find some pictures.

While im here also we do provide the carbon cleaning service!

Thanks,

Alex

ExcelerateRep1

Go Kart Champion

Here we go. We installed the APR catch can it bolts right up to the APR intake which makes it pretty convenient if you ask me.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie

Here we go. We installed the APR catch can it bolts right up to the APR intake which makes it pretty convenient if you ask me.

Yes, but while the APR intake and catch can both look great and perform well, since you need both if you want the catch can, this is a pretty pricey way to keep additional oil particles off of the intake valves. Not unreasonable if you wanted a (beautiful) HP air filter, as well, but astronomical if all you were looking for was a catch can.

Beaker1

Go Kart Champion
Only time will tell if the system helps the carbon situation. I'm running one on my Golf R. Im sure each manufacturers performance will also vary.

https://vimeo.com/182874984

Beaker1

Go Kart Champion
Where did your washer fluid tank go?
It's still there. Just the top section was removed. It is a two part tank so you can just remove it. The bigger part is below. The top tank doesn't hold as much.

Beaker1

Go Kart Champion
It's still there. Just the top section was removed. It is a two part tank so you can just remove it. The bigger part is below. The top tank doesn't hold as much.

ExcelerateRep1

Go Kart Champion
Yes, but while the APR intake and catch can both look great and perform well, since you need both if you want the catch can, this is a pretty pricey way to keep additional oil particles off of the intake valves. Not unreasonable if you wanted a (beautiful) HP air filter, as well, but astronomical if all you were looking for was a catch can.

This is very true. In this case the customer wanted both the APR intake and catch can so I am just sharing with you guys.

Thanks,

Alex

tonipepperoni77

Drag Race Newbie

very interesting set up there, yeah not into the APR cause i dont want there intake but i guess ill just see how it goes dont mind paying for a walnut blast in the future not the biggest deal

Beaker1

Go Kart Champion
very interesting set up there, yeah not into the APR cause i dont want there intake but i guess ill just see how it goes dont mind paying for a walnut blast in the future not the biggest deal
Yeah it's from racingline. It's really good quality. Very happy with the fitment and finish of the product.

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
Many tuners have shared that our engine has improved over time regarding the earlier versions... and with that, catch cans aren't necessary and may not prevent carbon build up entirely or at all.

Bottom line, if YOU think it's necessary and YOU need it go ahead.

I'll spend my money elsewhere.

I have a borescope and will analyze when I reach 20k in 10k miles.

tonipepperoni77

Drag Race Newbie
Many tuners have shared that our engine has improved over time regarding the earlier versions... and with that, catch cans aren't necessary and may not prevent carbon build up entirely or at all.

Bottom line, if YOU think it's necessary and YOU need it go ahead.

I'll spend my money elsewhere.

I have a borescope and will analyze when I reach 20k in 10k miles.

Yeah I agree I'll save the money and use it elsewhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk