GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Can you change the oil without jacks/ramps?

koalb

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 SE, PP, LP
How hard or easy is it to remove the oil drain plug without jacks or ramps?

Wondering if it's worth doing myself or just taking somewhere.

Have an old set of ramps, but the grade is too aggressive. Not interested in messing up my front bumper just to change the oil myself.

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Yep, topside oil and filter change a total no-brainer on these cars; easiest oil changes I've ever done on any car I've owned.

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
How hard or easy is it to remove the oil drain plug without jacks or ramps?

Wondering if it's worth doing myself or just taking somewhere.

Have an old set of ramps, but the grade is too aggressive. Not interested in messing up my front bumper just to change the oil myself.
Unless you weigh about 75 lbs or so, it's not very easy. Why don't you trade in your old ramps for some new ones? If your car is stock it definitely won't have any issue getting onto standard ramps.

bdelaney4000

Ready to race!
Having a good set of ramps kicking around is definitely worth it, not just for oil changes. I've changed my DP, RSB/endlinks, catbacks, intercooler, all with just ramps. Not to mention they're nice to get under the car and inspect for leaks/wear/etc... without going full monty on jack stands.

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
A 2x12, a tape measure, a drill, a saw and some deck screws.

Ramps > no ramps

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

bdelaney4000

Ready to race!
That'll do! :)

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
That'll do! :)

I totally get the "Hmming and Haaing" over buying race ramps. They're pricey, and of course it's even worse if you're buying them to cross a border. I've bought a cheapie set of metal
ones. Used them once. F that noise.

A couple of 2x10s or 2x12s is a hell of a lot cheaper, for the same effect.

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
+1 for an oil extractor, they can be found pretty cheap and it's nice to have no mess. Other than that I'd definitely look into ramps or low-profile jack and stands.