GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Can someone explain the MK7.5 and 7.5’s pcv magic?

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
Let’s not get sidetracked. What’s the round thingy?

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Oh jeez not again.

How many times do we have to tell Jimbo that the stock pcv performs as good or better than his $600 pcv that puts the stuff in a can versus back in the oil pan?
I’m not asking if one is better than another. I’m asking for more detailed information

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Let’s not get sidetracked. What’s the round thingy?
I think it’s an air oil separator. Very common thing back in the day. The pcv blow off will go through baffles that separate the air and oil. The air exits the separator and go back in to be ingested by the motor. And the oil will collect. Eventually gravity forces it back in the motor.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
You only need a catch can in a mk7 if you track or push big boost.

If you track, under heavy braking, you can overwhelm the pcv and blow clouds of smoke. I've had good luck stopping the smoke machine with the BL version of the PCV. A few others haven't. My end state will be the BL pcv, a catch can, and a baffled oil pan to control the oil surge.

I have no desire to remove the factory pcv and add to the problem, just so I can catch something in my cc. If I never catch a single drop in the can, I'll be happy. The cc should be the last defense, after proper oil control and the factory pcv.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
So is the ea888 gen 3 pcv system also an air oil separator? If your super familiar with it can you describe how it works plz?

I have a BM version I can dissect and post the pics.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Just go water meth, then you'll get a nice mist over your valves and won't have to worry about buildup. At least that was the logic on the MK6, but the stock PCV sucked on the MK6 so you options were water meth or CC.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
IMG_3686 (3).JPEG

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
You only need a catch can in a mk7 if you track or push big boost.

If you track, under heavy braking, you can overwhelm the pcv and blow clouds of smoke. I've had good luck stopping the smoke machine with the BL version of the PCV. A few others haven't. My end state will be the BL pcv, a catch can, and a baffled oil pan to control the oil surge.

I have no desire to remove the factory pcv and add to the problem, just so I can catch something in my cc. If I never catch a single drop in the can, I'll be happy. The cc should be the last defense, after proper oil control and the factory pcv.
Oh I see. So it’s an oil damp surge that creates that smoke. When u say big boost, would you say stage 1 is big? 2? Turbo swap?

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
If you don’t mind I’d appreciate it!

bro u have no idea how grateful I am for the knowledge. I plan on tracking after the winter. And I’ve only had the gti for about 3 months and 1100 miles now. I’m still learning.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Just go water meth, then you'll get a nice mist over your valves and won't have to worry about buildup. At least that was the logic on the MK6, but the stock PCV sucked on the MK6 so you options were water meth or CC.
Makes sense. I enjoyed meth injection back in the day.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Oh I see. So it’s an oil damp surge that creates that smoke. When u say big boost, would you say stage 1 is big? 2? Turbo swap?

Typically talking about big turbos running 30ish psi or more, but guys with bigger turbos would be a better resource for that info, I'm tracking the car on the stock turbo and stg 1.