GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Can anybodt shift this @#*! thing smoothly?

vucanthi

I’m posting my experience in hope it will help someone out there who is still struggling w MK7 1st to 2nd gear shift. I own MK7 Golf R manual and the shifter has been bugging the hell out of me for a year. I finally got it right.

First thing first, here is a list of things that I’ve done related to shift and clutch:
+BFI heavy weight shift knob
+Dieselgeek VW shifter shaft bushings https://www.dieselgeek.com/mobile/Product.aspx?ProductCode=SHIFT-SHAFT
+42DD Shifter bushing set http://www.42draftdesigns.com/vw-shifter-bushing-set-mk7-6s-my15/
+clutch stop
+removed clutch delay valve
+Spulen short shifter

Now, after all those modifications, I still couldn’t shift from 1 to 2nd smoothly. There seem to be something stuck between 1 and 2nd gear. But then I noticed something strange. If I am in 1st and 2nd gear and try to move the shift knob side to side, I can feel a lot of slacks. However, this behavior doesn’t happen at any other gear. Also, if you go to the short shifter and try this

https://youtu.be/SxxvSsSYqD8

If your lever can move like that, the culprit is the short shifter. What happens is the inner splint of the shifter is worn out. It makes the shifter move up and down between 1 and 2nd. This is not supposed to happen. When you move from 1st to 2nd, the wobbling shifter knocks the gear out of correct position for engaging.
Another reason is the cut out that control side to side cable doesn’t fit correctly with the side to side slider. So when you try to shift into 1st, the side to side cable can’t move the gear into the correct position.

I switched out short shifter with OEM and it shifts like butter now. Hehehe

After making sure there is no plays in the shifter or the knob in 1st and 2nd gear, the next crucial step is to adjust the entire system as shown by dieselgeek

https://youtu.be/sheTKD03hmo

I hope my experience will help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mursepaolo

Ready to race!
I've had my manual transmission 2016 GTI S w/performance for a month now, have been a manual transmission driver for 26 years, and did the bleeder block restriction delete. But I still can't consistently do a smooth 1 -> 2 shift without either an annoying judder or some clutch burn depending on if I engage it too fast or too slowly.

Is anyone else having this problem? I don't know if it's because there is so little clutch feel, or excessive clutch travel, or soft motor mounts, or there is something wrong with my car, or :confused:.

I love the car overall, but I'm getting more and more frustrated with this. Not a problem I've ever had before :(

Remove the clutch helper spring underneath the dash and put on a clutch stop and adjust that to your liking. I believe BMS makes them. This has really made a huge difference for me.

http://www.burgertuning.com/clutch_stop_VW.html

My mods for this issue are:
BMS clutch stop
Clutch helper spring delete
CTS Turbo solid shifter bushings
Clutch delay valve delete

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
Definitely have this same exact problem. I feel like you have to literally slip the clutch going 1st to 2nd to make it smooth. 2nd to 3rd, for me at least, depends on whether the car is warmed up or not. It is very annoying when trying to blast through the gears. Only thing that has helped a bit is shifting 1st to 2nd at a higher rpm and doing so slower than expected.

Haven't executed any of the recommended mods (clutch delay valve removal, spring removal, clutch stop, etc) but plan to.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Get the 034 or CTS billet insert for the pendulum mount. I installed mine around 1,000 miles ago to help with wheel hop (which it did), but was even more impressed with how much smoother it taking off in first and the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. I was all set to start doing all the other mods everyone else is mentioning (delay valve, clutch stop, short shifter) and now I won't even bother, it's that much better.

bdelaney4000

Ready to race!
Another word of advise, if you have not done so already, is remove the clutch return spring. It will make the clutch pedal a bit heavier but you will be able to feel the engagement point better.

Trancebolt

Ready to race!
Whenever im a passenger in someone's manual car, the ride is like being on the back of a burro on ketamine.... Any car. M235i, vws, hondas, name it.

Maybe part of the problem is the gearing on these manuals... like 70mph in 2nd is possible, 93 or something in 3rd....very few other cars that have that sort of gearing. Maybe drop the 26 years of 'experience' with old cars and relearn yourself to this one.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
If you shift really early, like...how the shift light wants you to shift, the gearbox is pretty smooth.

1st to 1800 rpm, shift.

Not much fun, but the engagement is slick. Climb up through the gears like the shift light wants you to (for max fuel economy) it should be nice and easy to roll through the gears.

I think you'll find the transmission either wants to be shifted at the points the light shows, or you have to climb up into the higher RPM range(4K) to have a smooth 1>2.

Firstboost

Go Kart Champion
If you shift really early, like...how the shift light wants you to shift, the gearbox is pretty smooth.

1st to 1800 rpm, shift.

Not much fun, but the engagement is slick. Climb up through the gears like the shift light wants you to (for max fuel economy) it should be nice and easy to roll through the gears.

I think you'll find the transmission either wants to be shifted at the points the light shows, or you have to climb up into the higher RPM range(4K) to have a smooth 1>2.

TheJokker

Go Kart Newbie
Maybe because I've been driving manual's for 40 years but my transmission is smooth as butter. It doesn't matter if I shift early or wind out the gears. Either you have a problem transmission or you need lots of practice.

Itzed

Passed Driver's Ed
Normal 2016 GTI here, and I actually find this transmission to be the smoothest manual shifter I’ve ever owned. So much so that I don’t even mind it in traffic.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Stock clutch and mounts and I have no issues. Transitions like butter between 1st and 2nd, 2nd and 3rd and I have been driving stick for around 20 yrs. OP, if you have been driving stick for 26 years, then you shouldn't be having issues. Not trying to be a dick but maybe you aren't that good at driving stick. Just find that sweet spot with your shifting and foot work.