GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Can anybodt shift this @#*! thing smoothly?

rdbeer

The 'rev hang' thing is a separate issue, right?

This is my first turbo, and I'm surprised at how much more you have to think about exactly where to shift. I agree, CA-GTI, unless you really wind it up in 1st, you end up dropping into the sub-3k zone in 2nd, and it feels like the car is bogging down. This is not fun :mad:

I think I'm starting to get used to that, though. If I really want to move out, I take it up to redline in 1st, and avoid the bog. If I'm just doing moderate acceleration, avoid the turbo by shifting in the low 3ks without a lot of throttle. I can tolerate this problem in exchange for the rocket launch capability the turbo offers :D

Last edited:

AlenSubasic

Ready to race!
The gas pedal is very sensitive as well which I think is part of the problem but I agree shifting is tricky.
I usually have issues when just getting in the car and after about 10min it seems to get better.

CAMOETO

You guys and gals are a bunch of whiners. After owning two GM 6.2 liter manual cars (a manual G8 GXP and a manual Camaro SS), this car shifts like a Honda :D

GJK

Ready to race!
Good to hear that I'm not alone! Thanks for the ideas and suggestions.

I'll try the BMS clutch stop, I can see that could make it easier to reliably find the clutch engagement point.

Will keep working on it, too. I'm at maybe 90% smooth 1-2 shifts now, it's that last 10% (often under hard acceleration when I'm not paying close attention to the clutch) where I have the problem. Maybe it is a tougher shift than on my MkIV just because this car has far more torque.

I used a clutch stop for about 6 months then took it out before a visit to the dealer. Never re-installed it - the clutch stop 'trained' me I guess: shifting is now smooth as silk.

xGreg

Passed Driver's Ed
Took me some time to adjust coming from a mk4 gti. Now I shift smooth for the most part but find myself sitting on the clutch from 1st to 2nd gear every now and then.

Davey Jones

Ready to race!
You guys and gals are a bunch of whiners. After owning two GM 6.2 liter manual cars (a manual G8 GXP and a manual Camaro SS), this car shifts like a Honda :D

Haha, well I came from my commuter Si which had the smoothest gear box I've ever driven, so it was definitely rough getting used to the 1 > 2 shift in this car.

huh0kay

Passed Driver's Ed
I drove a clunky '03 WRX manual for 10 years and it was more predictable than this. Probably from the pedal feedback, which the GTI lacks in comparison.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
If you've been driving stick for 26 years and you've done the delay valve delete and are still struggling, the issue is your transmission.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
This is my first turbo, and I'm surprised at how much more you have to think about exactly where to shift. I agree, CA-GTI, unless you really wind it up in 1st, you end up dropping into the sub-3k zone in 2nd, and it feels like the car is bogging down. This is not fun

Herein lies your problem. You rev it too much.

If you want smooth shifts, shift 1-2 @ 2K, then ease onto the throttle once 2nd's fully engaged.

(Yes, this will put you at approximately 1K rpms in 2nd)

rdbeer

Have the BMS clutch stop on order, will report back once I sort things out.

I, too, started my stick shift life in a Honda ('86 Civic S hatchback), so I have high expectations.