GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Caliber SRT-4 gave me the hit...

Hoon

Autocross Champion
I really love having an unsuspecting little VW, it's a ton of fun provoking random people on the street. I get a ton of races with this silly little car.

Ran into a Caliber SRT-4 this morning. One of my friends had a pretty quick one before he cracked the block, so i'm pretty familiar with them. He was making close to 400whp stock engine and turbo, then the sleeves cracked because the blocks are open deck.

I was cruising at probably 85-90 and the guy was catching me, so i figured he'd be down for a run.

Downshifted to 4th with the cutout open and jabbed the throttle when he was passing me to get his attention.

I looked over and his GF was smiling in the passenger seat and he motioned for me to take the hit. In my experience it's extremely rare that random people give you the hit, but ask and you shall receive!

His car wasn't slow, but he definitely underestimated mine because i simply drove away from him, maybe 4 cars 80-130. It was definitely faster than the S5 i raced a few weeks ago (and i've done the intake and cutout since then).

Even if we honked it off the results would have been pretty similar.

SRT-4s have much better turbos than we do, so they can be pretty quick, but being heavier and having a manual they need to make a good amount more power.

Unless you have a built motor with aftermarket sleeves, the reliable ceiling is pretty low.

Last edited:

railroader

Autocross Newbie
I had one mess with me a few several months ago when all I add was a dp and intake at the time. He couldn't pull from me at all and we stopped and talked. Guy was cool said he was stage 2 and stuff and I told him what I had and he was like dam that's a quick little car lol. I keep looking for him when I'm out in his area cause now it would be a completely different outcome.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Hoon

Autocross Champion
I had one mess with me a few several months ago when all I add was a dp and intake at the time. He couldn't pull from me at all and we stopped and talked. Guy was cool said he was stage 2 and stuff and I told him what I had and he was like dam that's a quick little car lol. I keep looking for him when I'm out in his area cause now it would be a completely different outcome.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Yeah if you were stock tune you've gained a lot since then!

What does “gave me the hit” mean? I’ve street raced quite a bit in my younger years but neve heard that expression.

Gave me the jump, just motioned for me to go so he could chase.

Bbbbut it’s just an econo box!

Exactly.

VW built so many slow cars for so long, no one expects them to be quick :)

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
Yeah if you were stock tune you've gained a lot since then!

Gave me the jump, just motioned for me to go so he could chase.

Exactly.

VW built so many slow cars for so long, no one expects them to be quick :)

Meanwhile Porsche/Audi quietly or not so quietly in the background have the most motorsports wins in the world

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
Meanwhile Porsche/Audi quietly (Porsche by itself actually) or not so quietly in the background have the most motorsports wins in the world

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
I owned a srt4 Caliber for 5 years. 400 whp stock turbo..? I was pretty maxed out @ 360/370 stock turbo, IC, and o2 housing. They weigh about 3200-3300 stock.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
I owned a srt4 Caliber for 5 years. 400 whp stock turbo..? I was pretty maxed out @ 360/370 stock turbo, IC, and o2 housing. They weigh about 3200-3300 stock.

Back when he was heavily modded there were no real tuning options , so he had MS2K with a 4 stage electronic boost controller so the ECU had no control and he could just pour the boost to it.

I saw it make 390/440 SAE on the same dyno my GTI made 303whp with filter, TIP, DP & tune, and he turned it up more after that.

I made 216whp stock on that dyno for reference.

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
Back when he was heavily modded there were no real tuning options , so he had MS2K with a 4 stage electronic boost controller so the ECU had no control and he could just pour the boost to it.

I saw it make 390/440 SAE on the same dyno my GTI made 303whp with filter, TIP, DP & tune, and he turned it up more after that.

I made 216whp stock on that dyno for reference.

Yeah they would pop much over 380 whp. I ran wastegate, RT map clamp, injectors, dp, intake, e85, and Aeroforce scan gauge to tune it. Had a bud that had built motor making 575 whp in one. Speedy van.

miked617

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
21 VW GTI
Nice kill. I never see those calibers anymore, thought they were all extinct.