GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

buying GTI - couple questions

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
yea, the rabbits are going fast. I started looking yesterday and saw one a few hours away in St. Louis and it sold that day while SE’s are sitting in lots for months.I could just get a rabbit and install an 8” head unit and be done with it because I do want cloth. However it becomes a harder choice when you can get a new SE with experience package for maybe 26 and a used rabbit for 24,500.

I live just over the border in Wisconsin. How are you finding prices of 26K or so for a 2019 SE with the exp. package? The only dealer within 100 miles of me that has one in stock won't budge from $29K even though it's been sitting on the lot half a year.

Golfer883

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
19 GTI rabbit
I live just over the border in Wisconsin. How are you finding prices of 26K or so for a 2019 SE with the exp. package? The only dealer within 100 miles of me that has one in stock won't budge from $29K even though it's been sitting on the lot half a year.

i haven’t looked that hard yet but people were getting them for less than 29 last summer even

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
i haven’t looked that hard yet but people were getting them for less than 29 last summer even

A lot of dealers are not discounting them much because their supply is so low. They know that they will sell them without big discounts.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid

I did a nation wide search and found a few in the mid 27 to 28k range on the East Coast. If you don't need the exp. package it would be a lot easier, I've seen plenty of those for less. Keep in mind they say a new car shortage is coming and the 2019 model year has a better warranty than the 2020s.

Last edited:

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
At Inver Grove VW 15min from MSP, they don’t like to haggle.

Red 6mt Experience package $28k;
https://www.vwinvergrove.com/vehicl...ti-2-0t-se-inver-grove-heights-mn-id-31375194

white 6MT $27k
https://www.vwinvergrove.com/vehicl...ti-2-0t-se-inver-grove-heights-mn-id-33501650

At Burnsville VW, 20min from MSP. Might be willing to work with you on price. I can personally vouch for the sales girl Madi, I’ve bought three cars from her in 2yrs. They won’t eff you over, and likely meet you near the airport. Even pre COVID we did a deal via email/phone. Call first to make sure they have what you want, and she’ll pocket the keys to take it off the shelf for you. If it’s a consideration, shoot me a PM and I’ll get you in direct contact with her. If you contact via website/chat/text/phone you get the low-man sales person that doesn’t have much pull.

Black DSG Experience: 29k
https://www.burnsvillevw.com/new/Vo...Golf+GTI-d479fad00a0e0ae876bc0d6b6d69a557.htm

red DSG experience $29k
https://www.burnsvillevw.com/new/Vo...Golf+GTI-fe1f8e6b0a0e0adf50b13c611855d34f.htm

white DSG experience $28k
https://www.burnsvillevw.com/new/Vo...Golf+GTI-5449505d0a0e0a170b0fa951d8d56a41.htm

White DSG experience 28k
https://www.burnsvillevw.com/new/Vo...Golf+GTI-2b1646890a0e0aea2aa1f62431be81d3.htm

Golfer883

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
19 GTI rabbit
yea, if you can't get a steal price on a 2019 SE its not worth it IMO. They have depreciated more because they are a year old now so your loosing money there.

The extra 22,000 miles you get for bumper to bumper (there is no way I would be under 72,000 miles in 6 years, would take me 4.5 years according to my history). The chances are pretty slim you would use that warranty during that extra 22,000 miles and even if you did more than likely would be something that costs <500. I haven't had a car yet that required something big inbetween 50-72,000 miles and these GTI are proven pretty reliable.

Plus instead of that 22,000 extra miles for bumper to bumper warranty for 2020 you are now get two years of regularly scheduled maintenance at no charge. They might actually be the better deal? What is that worth?

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Plus instead of that 22,000 extra miles for bumper to bumper warranty for 2020 you are now get two years of regularly scheduled maintenance at no charge. They might actually be the better deal? What is that worth?

With coupons, my dealer does synthetic oil change for $65 and free multi point inspection with oil change, so thats worth $135.

If i was in the market now, 2019 SE would be my pick without a second thought.

Golfer883

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
19 GTI rabbit
With coupons, my dealer does synthetic oil change for $65 and free multi point inspection with oil change, so thats worth $135.

If i was in the market now, 2019 SE would be my pick without a second thought.

so 2 oil changes in 2 years? VW is one every 10,000 miles so would be about 3 for me in two years so with your pricing would be worth 200.00 guaranteed. The extra 22,000 miles isn't guaranteed to be worth anything while you own it.

Just making a point that I would only do a 2019 if I could get a steal and not the same discounted price as a 2020.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
so 2 oil changes in 2 years? VW is one every 10,000 miles so would be about 3 for me in two years so with your pricing would be worth 200.00 guaranteed. The extra 22,000 miles isn't guaranteed to be worth anything while you own it.

Just making a point that I would only do a 2019 if I could get a steal and not the same discounted price as a 2020.

This is from VW official press release: Carefree Maintenance Program provides scheduled maintenance services for 2 years or 20,000 miles (whichever occurs first).

So far, people are reporting $7k or more off sticker on 2019s and I have not seen people reporting similar deals on 2020s yet. Most people are still shopping 2019s for the additional warranty. Priorities vary and there is no right or wrong in that. Personally, additional bumper to bumper warranty for 2 years / 22,000 miles warranty brings in more value than $135 oil change.