GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Burger Tuning JB4 Golf 1.8TSI MQB specific information thread

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
We should probably clarify that you're running your JB4 on top of an APR flashed ECU. Anyone with JB4 *only* should NOT NOT NOT be targetting 26 psi.

Yes, that too.

Horsepower is a pay to play game. Don't cheap out on the fuel. Also consider changing your spark plugs if they have a lot of miles on them. You basically want to have the best case scenario going on in the engine bay so you don't chase your tail over some maintenance issue.

Depending on power, etc... on stock turbo most tuning companies will recommend changing your spark plugs every 10-15k miles when tuned. I'm not sure how many miles you have on your current spark plugs, but if they were higher milage when stock then adding power doesn't help them.

Teo1.8t

Passed Driver's Ed
Anyone know how to use the absolute map 6 for a golf 1.8tsi. Does your first absolute value have to be above 10 @1500 rpm. How do I make it so that the first number is lower then 10

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Anyone know how to use the absolute map 6 for a golf 1.8tsi. Does your first absolute value have to be above 10 @1500 rpm. How do I make it so that the first number is lower then 10

You can make the 1500 10, then make 2000 lower, I think. But why would you do that?

Though the JB4 may try to command a value lower than 10 at 2000, I'm not sure you'd get below 10 mechanically at WOT.

Teo1.8t

Passed Driver's Ed
You can make the 1500 10, then make 2000 lower, I think. But why would you do that?

Though the JB4 may try to command a value lower than 10 at 2000, I'm not sure you'd get below 10 mechanically at WOT.

does your golf make 10 pounds of boost at 1500 rpm?

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
does your golf make 10 pounds of boost at 1500 rpm?

I think a IS12 can make 10 pounds at 2000ish, but not 1500. That's why setting the JB4 to 10 psi at 1500 shouldnt matter. So what if it tries to hit 10? It's just more fun!

Teo1.8t

Passed Driver's Ed
I think a IS12 can make 10 pounds at 2000ish, but not 1500. That's why setting the JB4 to 10 psi at 1500 shouldnt matter. So what if it tries to hit 10? It's just more fun!
Ya but I don’t want to burn my clutch. I have a 5 speed manual

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Ya but I don’t want to burn my clutch. I have a 5 speed manual

Don't worry about it. Your car won't make that boost during normal driving at part throttle. The tune doesn't kill your clutch, your right foot does.

If the whole point of this is a clutch saver type map, run additive. Just don't add any boost below 3000 and then build after 3000.

You also have boost by gear to limit your power in gears 1-3 to help with your clutch.

Teo1.8t

Passed Driver's Ed
Just did a log on map 6 with absolute values. Having traction issues in 3rd gear sometimes lol. It feels so much faster. Definitely smoother too
If anyone wants to see the values let me know I’ll drop a pic of it
https://datazap.me/u/teoh18tsi/log-1577142768?log=0&data=1-4-25-26-27-28&zoom=53-104

Teo1.8t

Passed Driver's Ed
Is20/jb4 doesn't even let brand spanking new, not driven more than 20 miles, 195/65r15 Milestar MS932s loose in third in the cold rain. You need better tires. And Milestars are crap...
You’ve never driven on Canadian roads then bro. There is pot holes and cracks every meter so the wheels bounce. That’s why it breaks them loose

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT

goodvibes

Go Kart Champion
Burger intentionally doesn't run max boost at low RPM to prevent the sort of preignition you can get there. Smoother to roll it in as they do on the stock curves. All that boost at RPMs you won't be in when you are actually trying to go fast is not prudent. That versatility is part of what makes the JB4 better than others. Power comes on so smooth on stock maps that if you didn't know it was chipped, you'd think it was just a stronger factory build. I appreciate that sort of refinement. That you can hog it out with upgrades completes the deal but rolling in the boost is likely always a good idea.

Teo1.8t

Passed Driver's Ed
What kind of gas are you running? Your log doesn't look great. Your ECU applied corrections through the whole pull. You're probably at your limit right now.
I’m running 91 Canadian. The gas is pretty bad here. We don’t get higher then 91 or sometimes 93 where I am. Would an intake and downpipe help with the corrections