GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Burger Tuning JB4 Golf 1.8TSI MQB specific information thread

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
haha i forgot, i guess u were the first to test these settings on additive. Anyhow how are ur boost holding on absolute. Slight off topic ques does rs7 plugs really help? which plugs u have beru or ngk?

I’ve always used absolute. I tried additive early on and it never worked well. I have the RS7 plugs and they work fine. The Beru ones. I did swap to the Denso IKH24, but started having issues. Swapped back to the RS7 and they were still there. Turned out to be bad gas. On the last swap I stripped a coil pack stud though. Turns out that this happens fairly easy because the threads in the studs are shitty. I was advised to helicoil it and get a die to chase the stud threads. Right now the stud is holding, so no plans to swap plugs again until I’m ready to do the helicoil

Slick99

Ready to race!
I’ve always used absolute. I tried additive early on and it never worked well. I have the RS7 plugs and they work fine. The Beru ones. I did swap to the Denso IKH24, but started having issues. Swapped back to the RS7 and they were still there. Turned out to be bad gas. On the last swap I stripped a coil pack stud though. Turns out that this happens fairly easy because the threads in the studs are shitty. I was advised to helicoil it and get a die to chase the stud threads. Right now the stud is holding, so no plans to swap plugs again until I’m ready to do the helicoil
Thanks for the advice, m thinking to get rs3 coils with rs7 plugs if it's goin to help.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Thanks for the advice, m thinking to get rs3 coils with rs7 plugs if it's goin to help.

I haven’t seen any proof that the coil packs do anything. Possibly some of the early models may have had a coil pack issue, but I heard that the Borg Warner ones are good. That’s what I have. Until someone shows a back to back test proving that they do anything I’m sticking with what I have. I also believe that the RS3 coil packs are the same as the A4 and a bunch of other models. A step colder plug makes sense though.

Slick99

Ready to race!
I haven’t seen any proof that the coil packs do anything. Possibly some of the early models may have had a coil pack issue, but I heard that the Borg Warner ones are good. That’s what I have. Until someone shows a back to back test proving that they do anything I’m sticking with what I have. I also believe that the RS3 coil packs are the same as the A4 and a bunch of other models. A step colder plug makes sense though.
It's same coil from new Audi S4 and VW Tiguan.

Slick99

Ready to race!
Anyone updated their jb4 firmware?

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Anyone updated their jb4 firmware?

I don't think it is out yet. I know they have a beta that they are testing. Some guys have received it if they were having any drivability issues on the old firmware just to help them out.

Slick99

Ready to race!
I don't think it is out yet. I know they have a beta that they are testing. Some guys have received it if they were having any drivability issues on the old firmware just to help them out.
It's not officially out yet, but George has sent me firmware update file. Let see how it work out.

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
I will be posting up a link to a firmware update some time next week. Its got a small fix to a smoothness issue some cars are having on part throttle. I have sent it out to around 50 guys over the past few weeks and the cars seem to be driving far better on part throttle with the new fueling logic.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
I will be posting up a link to a firmware update some time next week. Its got a small fix to a smoothness issue some cars are having on part throttle. I have sent it out to around 50 guys over the past few weeks and the cars seem to be driving far better on part throttle with the new fueling logic.

Will the logic help us get any more fueling? My trims are maxed. Was running it hard against a tuned golf R the other night and got the EPC in fourth. Rail pressure. Trims hit 51. Had to lower my targets a little bit more. Are the golf R injectors my only option? A think if I could get that couple of extra psi out of it I would of had him. It was close

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
Will the logic help us get any more fueling? My trims are maxed. Was running it hard against a tuned golf R the other night and got the EPC in fourth. Rail pressure. Trims hit 51. Had to lower my targets a little bit more. Are the golf R injectors my only option? A think if I could get that couple of extra psi out of it I would of had him. It was close

Not on full load.
Lower the FOL and if the car is not running lean AFR's the trims can remain pegged at high points.

To increase the fuel ceiling the GTI or R injectors are the only option.

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion

Does the new firmware address anything with the JB4 AFR logging anomalies? I saw someone say something about this in this or another thread. Thx!

stuntnuts

Go Kart Newbie
So working with George, this is a log of the final settings we went with...

https://datazap.me/u/stuntnuts/map-6-10-20-1?log=0&data=1-3-4-6-11-14-18

There is still a pronounced Ign1 dip at 4000RPM, but much smaller than it was prior to working with him on it. I feel that the peak Targeted Boost of 14 is just so weak, considering the ECU sometimes requests over 10 on my car. So....

I tried what Diggs24 suggested and copied Gro Harlem's settings verbatim, minus his peak boost of 16, I used 15.5.

I only got one log in, but this is the result...

https://datazap.me/u/stuntnuts/map-6-10-29-1?log=0&data=1-3-4-6-11-14-18&zoom=116-186

Then last night, I tweaked it a bit as my Trims were pretty high towards the upper RPMs and the big timing dip at 4000-4500RPM returned.

These are the settings I used...

1500 13.3
2000 14.2
2500 14.5
3000 15
3500 15
4000 15
4500 14.5
5000 14.2
5500 13.8
6000 13.6
6500 13.1
7000 12.5

And here are the results...

First run

https://datazap.me/u/stuntnuts/map-6-11-01-1?log=0&data=1-3-4-6-11-14-18&zoom=204-289

Second run

https://datazap.me/u/stuntnuts/map-6-11-01-2?log=0&data=1-3-4-6-11-14-18&zoom=183-259

Third run

https://datazap.me/u/stuntnuts/map-6-11-01-3?log=0&data=1-3-4-6-11-14-18&zoom=107-169

I found that my adjustments vs. Gro Harlem's settings didn't really help drop the Trims at all, Ign1 still has the dip at 4000-4500RPM (BTW on Map 4, it is between 7-8 at that RPM interval), and on the first log, Ign1 went crazy at approx 6200RPM.

I should note that all of the above logs were on the same tank of Shell 93, minus the first log on George's settings, which was Sunoco 93.

Thoughts, suggestions? Or just tell me to shut up and go back to George's settings, belittle me, have at it...