GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Burger Tuning JB4 Golf 1.8TSI MQB specific information thread

Ton

Go Kart Newbie
Just got my OTG cable but have to remove the battery again to route the USB cable through my firewall into the cabin. The weekend/holiday has been too crazy for me to find time >_< but map1 is holding me over for now.

Anyone else using the Android app to manage their JB4? It looks like the UI is way simpler and easier to use.

I've been using the app. I like it. Though I want to get the Bluetooth hookup so I can keep my phone charged and use the phone as a gauge.

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
Just got my OTG cable but have to remove the battery again to route the USB cable through my firewall into the cabin. The weekend/holiday has been too crazy for me to find time >_< but map1 is holding me over for now.

Anyone else using the Android app to manage their JB4? It looks like the UI is way simpler and easier to use.

Try using a tool like this to feed the cable through from the inside into the engine area. Worked like a charm for me, no battery removal necessary:)
https://www.amazon.com/Flexible-Claw-Automotive-Mechanic-Generic/dp/B000RB7AGY

I am exclusively using the JB4 Android app with OTG cable. It is so easy to plug in and use. Before it was a chore to get out my cheap Windows tablet or a laptop and fumble around with the JB4 Windows application for logging etc. Now I just plug it into my already mounted phone and logging is there at the quick press of a button. The new map 6 Save As/Load feature in the beta makes it even more powerful. This was the major feature that was missing that I really wanted so didn't have to take screenshots of the maps to remember what I did.

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
I've been a longtime member over at the mk6 forum..

Just purchased a Golf Alltrack. Since the car is brand new and I want to keep the warranty intact my only mods will be a downpipe and a JB4 running the tune it ships with. Maybe down the road (as in years) as I get more comfortable with the platform I may go with a larger OEM turbo.. Or would I be better off just getting the JB1 and upgrade to the JB4 later?

Oh, I should add that we have 93 octane available here..

Thanks.. This is all brand new to me so my apologies if this has already been beaten to death..

Thanks...

Ton

Go Kart Newbie
I've been a longtime member over at the mk6 forum..

Just purchased a Golf Alltrack. Since the car is brand new and I want to keep the warranty intact my only mods will be a downpipe and a JB4 running the tune it ships with. Maybe down the road (as in years) as I get more comfortable with the platform I may go with a larger OEM turbo.. Or would I be better off just getting the JB1 and upgrade to the JB4 later?

Oh, I should add that we have 93 octane available here..

Thanks.. This is all brand new to me so my apologies if this has already been beaten to death..

Thanks...

Go right to the JB4. It's a small price to pay for the extra power and functionality.

Do you have e85 near you?

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
Go right to the JB4. It's a small price to pay for the extra power and functionality.

Do you have e85 near you?

Limited but yes.. Don't really feel like messing with it though. My immediate goal is stock GTI power levels or slightly more on pump 93. From what I'm reading the JB4 and a downpipe should accomplish that, yes?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Ton

Go Kart Newbie
Yes. And a little more low end due to the smaller faster spooling turbo. I drove my car with JB1 and downpipe back to back with a GTI and my car felt noticably faster. The GTI guy noticed too. The JB4 on 93 should be at least 15 or more HP than I had with the JB1.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Limited but yes.. Don't really feel like messing with it though. My immediate goal is stock GTI power levels or slightly more on pump 93. From what I'm reading the JB4 and a downpipe should accomplish that, yes?

93 and downpipe will get you there no problem. Should pull away from a stock gti. I was coming home last night and was playing around with a brand new A4 2.0. He was in front and I had no problem staying on his ass. It was brief because I had to exit, but if we had a little more road, I would have passed him with no issues. I think he was highly surprised to see a little old golf wagon stuck in his rear view. Lol. That was on a 22psi peak setting and some e85.

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
Another question.. Are the boxes themselves specific for the 1.8 vs 2.0 and they're just loaded with the appropriate map? See a few for sale in the classifieds.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Another question.. Are the boxes themselves specific for the 1.8 vs 2.0 and they're just loaded with the appropriate map? See a few for sale in the classifieds.

They will all work, but you will need to do your own map 6 settings. I can help you with the settings once you get the unit.

Gro Harlem

Ready to race!
Alright, I finally got around to routing my USB through my firewall, downloading the app and getting a log in 3rd. I got 2. Both are on 93-octane using Map1. Car pretty much stock except a K&N drop-in. Temp outside was 89 degrees and its probably 90% humidity in this nasty MD weather.

First Log:
http://www.datazap.me/u/groharlem/gsw-map1-first-log?log=0&data=1-2-3-4-11-18

Second Log:
http://www.datazap.me/u/groharlem/gsw-map-1-second-log?log=0&data=1-2-3-4-11-18

I also tried the baseline Map6 that TwinDad posted a few posts up but there is too much traffic right now for me to do another log with that map yet.

Last edited:

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
They will all work, but you will need to do your own map 6 settings. I can help you with the settings once you get the unit.

Thank You!!

Also if anyone has one for sale let me know. There's a few for sale in the classifieds but the sellers seem unresponsive... Pulling the trigger this weekend one way or the other.

Gro Harlem

Ready to race!
Did a couple of Map6 pulls but one I apparently let off the throttle a bit cuz I saw some deer so only got one good one. NOt sure why it cuts off at 6200 but should still be good enough:

http://www.datazap.me/u/groharlem/gsw-map6-second-log?log=0&data=1-2-3-4-11-18-25-26

I'm using TwinDad's base settings posted above. TBH Map6 feels slower than Map1, maybe cuz my Map1 logs show the boost hitting hard at lower RPM, but Map6 hits about 1psi higher for a bit. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated :)

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Did a couple of Map6 pulls but one I apparently let off the throttle a bit cuz I saw some deer so only got one good one. NOt sure why it cuts off at 6200 but should still be good enough:

http://www.datazap.me/u/groharlem/gsw-map6-second-log?log=0&data=1-2-3-4-11-18-25-26

I'm using TwinDad's base settings posted above. TBH Map6 feels slower than Map1, maybe cuz my Map1 logs show the boost hitting hard at lower RPM, but Map6 hits about 1psi higher for a bit. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated :)

Are you still on the stock downpipe? It looks like you are about at the limit. You can maybe push a little more down low on map 6. You can also try an additive map. Look at what the map 1 log does and then add a little bit on top of it. The important thing to look at is your ignition advance. That is Ign1. See what it does on the map1 vs the map 6. You can also try map 2. The Ign1 should always be going up. The best comparison of what's ideal would be to log a map 4 and use that as a reference. Any spot where you see it drop by a couple of degrees or it just stops advancing, you need to lower the boost a little bit. Every one of these cars behaves differently, so that's where the individual tweaking comes in.

Gro Harlem

Ready to race!
Yea I'm all stock except a K&N drop-in filter. I noticed a dip in timing at around 3600-5000 (particularly 3600-4000). Is there any reason I should try to raise FOL? or is that only if I'm doing E85. I was reading that people were having better results when they upped it to about 70 instead of 60.

I'm assuming that my ignition timing would be higher if I was in colder weather b/c I was looking at some of the older logs posted on here in Jan/Feb and they all had way more ignition timing but IAT's of 60-80 degrees.

I'm kicking myself for not picking up one of the $300 IS20's back when so many were for sale. Haven't seen one for sale in awhile but I want to get one as a placeholder for future plans. I won't do a downpipe or IS20 upgrade until I get some more warranty work fixed on my car but I'm at the point where I do not see any reason to keep my 2015 WRX when my GSW can be nearly as fast, way more practical and cheaper payments.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Yea I'm all stock except a K&N drop-in filter. I noticed a dip in timing at around 3600-5000 (particularly 3600-4000). Is there any reason I should try to raise FOL? or is that only if I'm doing E85. I was reading that people were having better results when they upped it to about 70 instead of 60.

I'm assuming that my ignition timing would be higher if I was in colder weather b/c I was looking at some of the older logs posted on here in Jan/Feb and they all had way more ignition timing but IAT's of 60-80 degrees.

I'm kicking myself for not picking up one of the $300 IS20's back when so many were for sale. Haven't seen one for sale in awhile but I want to get one as a placeholder for future plans. I won't do a downpipe or IS20 upgrade until I get some more warranty work fixed on my car but I'm at the point where I do not see any reason to keep my 2015 WRX when my GSW can be nearly as fast, way more practical and cheaper payments.

Timing does take a hit with the heat. You don't need to worry about the FOL 70 until you go downpipe, some e85 and more than 22psi. I think I know someone in NJ that has an IS20 for cheap. Are you on the Facebook page?